• April 27, 2024, 12:55:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Metric hardware (black, high-strength, unusual, etc.)  (Read 1388 times)

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Metric hardware (black, high-strength, unusual, etc.)
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »

Here's a couple sources for metric fasteners - both carry a lot more than the standard zinc-plated hardware store stuff:

www.nutty.com/Metric-Fasteners_c_13.html

www.belmetric.com

Nutty Co. sells in quantity, but their prices are usually low and their service is excellent.  BelMetric sells mostly in unit quantities, and has a huge selection - haven't ordered from them yet.

I'm trying to 'black out' my FX's as much as I can, and these places will help a lot. I'll still have to send some things off to be plated (brackets, big nuts, etc.),  but not too many.

Ray

'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

rayivers

• View Profile
Re: Metric hardware (black, high-strength, unusual, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:44:14 PM »

I found a  place (AccuGroup) with a good selection of black stainless stuff - just got my first order yesterday, and the quality looks pretty good.  The black-oxide coating is thick and hard, much better than some non-stainless eBay crap I got that was basically stained black (and started rusting almost immediately).  If something isn't shown as available in black on the Web site, they can do it for an extra 10%.  Not all items are available in unit quantities, but I think they may be flexible on that with a decent-sized order (not sure). The order may take several days to put together if many non-stock items are ordered, but once ready the shipping seems reasonable and quick.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 05:31:33 AM »

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 05:35:04 AM »

;D

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

I found a  place (AccuGroup) with a good selection of black stainless stuff - just got my first order yesterday, and the quality looks pretty good.  The black-oxide coating is thick and hard, much better than some non-stainless eBay crap I got that was basically stained black (and started rusting almost immediately).  If something isn't shown as available in black on the Web site, they can do it for an extra 10%.  Not all items are available in unit quantities, but I think they may be flexible on that with a decent-sized order (not sure). The order may take several days to put together if many non-stock items are ordered, but once ready the shipping seems reasonable and quick.

Ray

Black-oxide can be very mild for corrosion resistance.  I would not use it.  And be careful with stainless steel because depending on the spec, it can be very soft and prone to galling/seized/stripped. 

Magni coating is environmentally friendly and comes in black.  Its zinc base with a aluminum top coat.

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »

Black-oxide can be very mild for corrosion resistance.  I would not use it.

Corrosion's not an issue for the stainless-steel parts I posted about; the black coating is more for aesthetics and thread protection. 

And be careful with stainless steel because depending on the spec, it can be very soft

This is true of any fastener material, not just stainless.  I've only had one instance of bare stainless-on-stainless threads galling (they still came apart OK).  On the ships I worked on this was used routinely on deck, sometimes with anti-seize but mostly without.

Ray

Pages: [1]