• April 27, 2024, 02:23:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Zero's been watching us (windscreen)  (Read 6018 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Zero's been watching us (windscreen)
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2016, 12:51:18 AM »

View from rear.
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2016, 12:52:33 AM »

One more.
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2016, 03:14:07 AM »

That's an interesting idea! Have you already ridden it with this position?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2016, 04:39:56 AM »

I took it out for a spin before I took the photos above. Better torso protection. But it was a bit too upright and tall, creating just a bit more turbulence to my head than ideal. So I lowered it a little and angled it slightly more. This is how the photos show it above. I haven't ridden it I this position yet. I'm too tall to get head protection with it, so I want T keep my helmet entirely above it. I think a smaller person might be very happy with the screen upside down and get almost complete head and torso protection.
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2016, 04:59:24 AM »

Those mounting stalks look too short for full protection given the Zero's lack of space between the seat and the instrument cluster. One possibility to get another inch or so of effective length is to see whether you can flip the orientation of the handlebar mounts so that the stalk joins it above the handlebar instead of below it. The Zero doesn't offer a lot of space for this but if you can manage it, I think it's worth a try.

In general, this feels like an inadequate compromise to save money. Sure, this will buy you a little range, but fatigue is a real concern that you're devaluing by deciding that money in your pocket is more important.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2016, 05:17:22 AM »

Yup. For average to tall folks this is not great at high speeds. I'll  probably go to a large screen like in that other thread to get full head and shoulders protection. But this small one is better than without it for sure. I don't have long highway commute, so it is fine. If I had more than 10 miles, I would like it.

As for rotating the mounts up, I'd have to move the brake line slightly out of the way, which requires loosening it at the reservoir temporarily. For mw it won't be high enough even like that, so I haven't done it. I may try longer stalks to move it more forward so I can lower my helmet behind it...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:21:35 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 12:02:32 AM »

I would think that a top heavy windscreen would not be optimal. 

Your widest at your hands, 2nd widest below your shoulders and you head is the narrowest.

Some objective testing would be nice. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 12:09:04 AM »

For what it's worth, my Parabellum MRA mounts, which are the longest they sell, have the bar mount bases rotated downwards because of the brake reservoir, and the additional inch would allow me to probably avoid the spoiler. The Zero's cockpit dimensions are simply constraining for forming a comfortable and aerodynamic environment around the rider.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:21 AM »

Your logic is correct for large screens, which actually cover the hands/arms. This one is too narrow even at its widest section to do that. Plus, I feel the wind blasting above the navel more than below (due to the headlight and instrument panel and the gas tank blocking it down low). For most people who are of average weight for their height, the shoulders are wider than their waist. So I guess, with a small screen like this it's always a compromise - better upper or lower protection...

I'll ride the bike to work tomorrow, so I'll report back here after that on how it feels in this latest position.

The Zero OEM screen is inverted too (wider on top): http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=230

This cheap screen (when inverted) looks a lot like the Zero screen, and seems a bit bigger than the Zero screen...

I would think that a top heavy windscreen would not be optimal. 

Your widest at your hands, 2nd widest below your shoulders and you head is the narrowest.

Some objective testing would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:49:51 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »

A quick follow-up on my inverted mounting for this cheap screen. The position I have now (in the above photos) works best from all positions that I have tried. At the height and angle I have right now, for my height, the air stream from above the screen is smooth and above my shoulders but below my ears. I get the most protection this way, without extra turbulence. There is actually less wind and turbulence on my arms too.

Rode 70 fast highway miles this way today, so good enough sample.

It works very well and I can duck in a position where my chin is below the screen, while the top of my helmet is above it. This is nice, but of course not a position I'd want to hold for too long.

A shorter/smaller person could use this as a touring screen and get protection riding upright (I can't, I'm too tall and have to duck for highway travel).

But, there is a problem. At speeds above 65mph, the screen begins to vibrate too much. I am afraid it will destroy the screen or loosen it. Too much vibration. 65mph and under it is fine. If there is a way to tie the bottom of the screen to the turn signals or the headlight, or to install support brackets for the bottom, it will work. Alternatively, it may be possible to trim the bottom (what used to be the top) a bit to better balance the screen (there is more screen below the mounts than above it when mounted this way).
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »

I just want to say that a good reason for wikis over forums is that 95% of the posts on this thread are from a hijack where someone started talking about a cheap Chinese windscreen of middling design. No one has provided a review of Zero's touring-oriented windscreen, and the forum title will never reflect this.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »

Sorry, guilty as charged ;)

Hopefully someone will provide feedback on the Zero screen.

I just want to say that a good reason for wikis over forums is that 95% of the posts on this thread are from a hijack where someone started talking about a cheap Chinese windscreen of middling design. No one has provided a review of Zero's touring-oriented windscreen, and the forum title will never reflect this.
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »

Closing the loop - I've been riding with the inverted screen for some time now, and I think it works best this way of all positions I tried. With the addition of a 1"x1" foam piece wedged between the headlight and the bottom of the screen, the vibration at 65mph+ is completely eliminated. For the size, I think it works fine. But in the long term, I will probably look for a bigger screen, like the large Parabellum mentioned in another thread.

A quick follow-up on my inverted mounting for this cheap screen. The position I have now (in the above photos) works best from all positions that I have tried. At the height and angle I have right now, for my height, the air stream from above the screen is smooth and above my shoulders but below my ears. I get the most protection this way, without extra turbulence. There is actually less wind and turbulence on my arms too.

Rode 70 fast highway miles this way today, so good enough sample.

It works very well and I can duck in a position where my chin is below the screen, while the top of my helmet is above it. This is nice, but of course not a position I'd want to hold for too long.

A shorter/smaller person could use this as a touring screen and get protection riding upright (I can't, I'm too tall and have to duck for highway travel).

But, there is a problem. At speeds above 65mph, the screen begins to vibrate too much. I am afraid it will destroy the screen or loosen it. Too much vibration. 65mph and under it is fine. If there is a way to tie the bottom of the screen to the turn signals or the headlight, or to install support brackets for the bottom, it will work. Alternatively, it may be possible to trim the bottom (what used to be the top) a bit to better balance the screen (there is more screen below the mounts than above it when mounted this way).
'15 Zero SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »

For what it's worth, my Parabellum MRA mounts, which are the longest they sell, have the bar mount bases rotated downwards because of the brake reservoir, and the additional inch would allow me to probably avoid the spoiler. The Zero's cockpit dimensions are simply constraining for forming a comfortable and aerodynamic environment around the rider.

After talking to terry about his vetter mounting and looking at Vic's, I've come to the conclusion that I have to mount headlight and windshield to frame rather than to pivoting member if I'm to install a big dustbin or vetter.  I made some good progress with 3-D printing recently, so i may try that.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]