• April 27, 2024, 03:31:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: DigiNow Super Charger officially available from 2 dealers!  (Read 7659 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: DigiNow Super Charger officially available from 2 dealers!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 02:43:07 AM »

Is the power tank plastics going to fit my 2013S ?  I am assuming the fake plastic gas tank connectors have not changed but want to make sure before I place an order.

All 2013-2016 models S/DS/SR/DSR tank plastics are interchangeable.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 02:56:25 AM »

Bam!  Deposit down! Thank you Hollywood Electrics.  Figure I will make a road trip out of this and ride down to get them to install it.  So I will go down the coast with slow charging and return with supercharging.  Super excited!   Counting down the weeks!

Irony would have it, I am right now charging waiting a couple of hours to get to 40-50%. Could be full with supercharger. 

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »

You were already petulant with me before and I have no desire to entertain your rhetoric.

"Petulant", huh? It happens sometimes.

Get ready for "pedantic", too, if you keep saying stuff like "A solidly crimped and assembled to specification J connector should not emit any heat." That isn't "simplifying", it's just wrong. I'll correct you every time you say something like that -- this is a high-information, high-energy, high-intelligence crowd here, and they don't deserve your "simplifying'.

Out of curiosity, what behavior of mine struck you as petulant? Did it involve a 100%, $3000 payment I made in October for a product I still haven't received as June draws to an end? I'd be interested to know where your "petulant" ends and your "justifiably angry" begins.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »

You were already petulant with me before and I have no desire to entertain your rhetoric.

"Petulant", huh? It happens sometimes.

Get ready for "pedantic", too, if you keep saying stuff like "A solidly crimped and assembled to specification J connector should not emit any heat." That isn't "simplifying", it's just wrong. I'll correct you every time you say something like that -- this is a high-information, high-energy, high-intelligence crowd here, and they don't deserve your "simplifying'.

Look, the information you added was good, but it's a different kind of information. I'm not lying - J17 connectors literally did not get hot for me and it would be anomalous for them to be if they're constructed right. Maybe we disagree on what's "hot" or "produces heat". Technically, you're right, but for anyone who's not an EE, it doesn't matter. What matters is what people can verify by observation. I'm writing for someone who's uncomfortable with a multimeter.

Honestly, you're starting a pissing contest and I'm telling you to piss off.

Out of curiosity, what behavior of mine struck you as petulant? Did it involve a 100%, $3000 payment I made in October for a product I still haven't received as June draws to an end? I'd be interested to know where your "petulant" ends and your "justifiably angry" begins.

Yes, exactly that. You were whining. These guys are trying to deliver something no one else will touch. If there are delays because they try to get it right, state your frustration calmly and don't act like you're entitled to a date you weren't guaranteed in writing by a small band of engineers trying to sort out complex power electronics interactions.

I will reiterate: I literally saved you from trouble by testing the production setup first and preparing documentation. I am doing you a favor and you're picking apart my (admittedly guarded) words. I can see no reason to be nice to you; unlike digiNow, there's no profit in it for me, and if everyone here were like you, I'd have not done it at all.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 10:40:34 AM »

Seriously, as an outsider, the amount of money they raised from pre-orders is embarrassingly low on a per-unit cost and in any fair assessment of R&D costs. And you can't literally say your money entitles you to be entirely free of risks in development delays. You need a contract for that, a contract that no sane engineer would agree to.

If you want to be an early adopter, you have to accept that sometimes you put your money down in good faith because you believe in something and want to demonstrate that faith to add to the developers' confidence. And it's going to hurt sometimes not having that money even if you can technically afford it.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »

Brian|--------Bonkers--------|Doug

I'm going to ask for a ceasefire gentlemen, this will only end badly.

For what it's worth, I think we're seeing the clash of two guys who are frustrated, but in different ways.  On one hand we have Doug who's patience is wearing very thin having waited a long time for a product he put money down for six months or so ago. What probably doesn't help is that Doug has experience as an engineer and could probably have a stab at the project himself if he had time.

On the other hand we have Brian, who is one of the most passionate people around when it comes to this forum, Zero and this community.  He's very close to the Diginow project and the guys involved. He's put countless hours into it for no reward other than the satisfaction of helping others and preventing problems further down the line.  No doubt it's frustrating to hear complaints when you're highly aware of how much effort has gone into this whole thing.

Don't hate me for saying this, but you're probably also very similar people and that can often be the cause of friction.  We're also at the point where tensions are highest.

As someone who's been on the receiving end from both of you before, I plead you to stop taking chunks out of each other. It's destructive and will only make you feel bad.

It can't have been easy getting to the point where the Super Charger is officially available, so let's celebrate that achievement.

Oh, and if this post has just pissed you off even more, then vent at me! :-)

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 01:29:30 AM »

I know this charger can be used outside the bike so have a few questions, will it fit in a side case for storage, how much air circulation does it need (will side case door open be enough?), also is there a way to secure it with a lock so the thieves dont steal it while I'm not there at the bike?  Thanks.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »

I know this charger can be used outside the bike so have a few questions, will it fit in a side case for storage, how much air circulation does it need (will side case door open be enough?), also is there a way to secure it with a lock so the thieves dont steal it while I'm not there at the bike?  Thanks.

Side case fit? Yes, if it's wider than the Givi E21's that Zero sells.

Dimensions and weight are listed here: https://emotorwerks.com/index.php/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/dc-charging-systems/1657-mini-smartcharge-12000-a-12kw-universal-voltage-ev-charger-fully-assembled-tested/category_pathway-17

Air circulation: it gets enough air under the tank plastics, so an open case will be fine as long as the fans aren't pointed directly into the plastic. Shade is a good idea if you can manage it.

The official tank mounting method is secure; any other mounting strategy is strictly DIY but people should share solutions when they can. It's just a box, and the default install method bolts it down with a retaining bracket.

If someone tries to steal it while it's running, they'd be a fool. It weighs over 20lb and runs pretty warm and loud.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 02:00:57 AM »

If someone tries to steal it while it's running, they'd be a fool. It weighs over 20lb and runs pretty warm and loud.

I once had someone try to steal the pack off my rear seat when it clearly had a large cargo bungee net over it. Don't underestimate peoples desire to steal things. Lol

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »

Side case fit? Yes, if it's wider than the Givi E21's that Zero sells.

Dimensions and weight are listed here: https://emotorwerks.com/index.php/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/dc-charging-systems/1657-mini-smartcharge-12000-a-12kw-universal-voltage-ev-charger-fully-assembled-tested/category_pathway-17

Air circulation: it gets enough air under the tank plastics, so an open case will be fine as long as the fans aren't pointed directly into the plastic. Shade is a good idea if you can manage it.

The official tank mounting method is secure; any other mounting strategy is strictly DIY but people should share solutions when they can. It's just a box, and the default install method bolts it down with a retaining bracket.

Thanks.  If it can be bolted to inside of case, or even an eye bolt to put a locking cable thru would be fine.  That link to the smart charge you posted, is that the same as the digi?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »

Thanks.  If it can be bolted to inside of case, or even an eye bolt to put a locking cable thru would be fine.  That link to the smart charge you posted, is that the same as the digi?

It is physically the same piece of hardware. digiNow customizes it to work with the Zero platform, much like a stock Elcon 2500 does not work safely with a Zero but Harlan's customized version does.

FYI the hardware does not have any in-built mounting brackets (the Elcon does, since it's meant to bolt to the chassis of a forklift). It is a box that is designed to be placed in the bracket that cradles the Power Tank and then clamped down over the top to hold it in place.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »

I once had someone try to steal the pack off my rear seat when it clearly had a large cargo bungee net over it. Don't underestimate peoples desire to steal things. Lol

I've had a helmet stolen that way, and I believe you, but a large piece of heavy metallic equipment with fans running and large cables running to a high voltage power source are at least some kind of scare warning. Anyway, anything you use to secure it from being manually lifted out will also secure it when going over bumps or potholes at high speed! So do mount it securely.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »

Do remember that placing a large dense object on struts mounted away from the center of gravity is going to endanger that equipment if you go over and also add a noticeable change to your motorcycle's dynamics while going in and out of a turn or exercising the suspension.

While I have carried an Elcon on the side rack in a case (wrapped in a towel), I came to avoid this and wound up setting it in a top case and now finally in a duffle strapped securely to the passenger seat.

I would really like Zero to increase the frame's carrying capacity and robustness in future models. Completely integrating the top rack into the design would be part of this - the seat should have quick-release pins instead of relying on large bolts that are load-carrying when the top rack is installed. I think this is a design flaw now and am a little worried about how these frames will perform over time now that we can use the Zero much more than as a simple commuter or toy.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »

Do remember that placing a large dense object on struts mounted away from the center of gravity is going to endanger that equipment if you go over and also add a noticeable change to your motorcycle's dynamics while going in and out of a turn or exercising the suspension.

While I have carried an Elcon on the side rack in a case (wrapped in a towel), I came to avoid this and wound up setting it in a top case and now finally in a duffle strapped securely to the passenger seat.

I would really like Zero to increase the frame's carrying capacity and robustness in future models. Completely integrating the top rack into the design would be part of this - the seat should have quick-release pins instead of relying on large bolts that are load-carrying when the top rack is installed. I think this is a design flaw now and am a little worried about how these frames will perform over time now that we can use the Zero much more than as a simple commuter or toy.
I almost wonder if there should be more of a split with the DS-ish direction going more adventure bike/touring with a heavy duty subframe and higher springrate.. just so you can load it to the gills...
and the SR going the other way with a lighter subframe, maybe clipons, etc...

but then we're talking the same as all the other manufactures.. heading more specialized and less "universal"

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 01:34:45 AM »

Yes i did think of that so would likely mount it in the top case like you did with the Elcon.  Most of my trips I think will be within the power tank range and I'll only be carrying it when I expect a longer distance.  I didn't want it in mounted in the bike because I also want to use it to charge my electric car. I have a Volt now but will be trading it in on a Bolt when they come out in Oct.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6