• April 29, 2024, 05:05:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: need help diagnosing new squealing sound on Zero SR  (Read 2749 times)

ticobrahe

• View Profile
need help diagnosing new squealing sound on Zero SR
« on: June 22, 2016, 02:37:13 AM »

Anybody know what this sound is? Too much brake pad friction? Rotor misaligned or something? It does not respond (noise become louder, go away, etc) with braking inputs.
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

scorpion32

• View Profile
Re: need help diagnosing new squealing sound on Zero SR
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »

Hi Ticobrahe,
yesterday I made a first long ride with my brandnew DSR 2016 model. I experienced the same squeaking sound you have.
It seems to come from the rear tire. If I brake with the rear the squeaking is gone, but then It comes back. It is really annoying, especially on slow speed.

I wonder if this is because the brakes are still new or if this a bigger problem.

How do you get this sound fixed? Any ideas from other forum members on this?

Thanks in advance.

BertTrack

• Nutty
  • Zero FX 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »

Check the frequency of it. If it's in synq with the rear wheel it could be the wheels/brake/rear pulley on belt. If it's the frequency of the belt rotation it's probably the belt.

I have found a mark on my rear pulley where the belt would rub up to it every rotation. It squeeled for a while.
X rated fun. I mean FX

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »

If the squeaking stops when you apply the rear brake lightly, then it is probably the brake pads making the noise.  You might try braking hard a few times to bed-in the pads.  That might help.  Also, sometimes flushing the pads and caliper with soapy water, flushing with clear water, then going for a ride to dry the caliper out can help if the pads are dirty. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »

My bet would be an over-tightened belt, also brakes that need to be bedded-in as the manual says but also then washed well with a pressure washer or garden spray nozzle should be enough.

scorpion32

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:59:06 AM »

Thx for all the helpful replies.

I will have a closer look at the bike at the weekend. Currently i am buried in work.
Hopefully also temperatures will rise a bit at the weekend.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »

My rear brake did this for the first 2500 miles, then it never did it again (it would squeak when coasting at slow speeds, then stop if I put slight pressure on the brake).  2016 DSR.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

scorpion32

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »

Ok, last saturday i drove 110 km on my DSR. Lovely weather. The squealing now almost disappears. I think it was the bedding of the brakes, since the bike is brand new. On my way back i got stuck in a traffic jam. But now that i drive on a motorbike it was really fun to just overtake all of the cars with a smile on my face.

Today i had to wash my DSR. Now she is shiny like new.

ginoverg

• Ginoverg
  • Ginovergz S2015 Negra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 05:31:07 AM »

Hello I'm Luigi Im new at the Forum
I own a Zero S 2015 and the squealing noise haunted my  silent sibling rides for long time since I did change the original pad at the rear brake for compatible SBS pads and the nasty noise  just disappeared, I assume that the problem is the same I had when the rear pads were cold then gradually disappear when warmed up but it was very upsetting when finally found this Forum that really give to me a lot of tips and knowledge so I would like to contribute to the community that I feel to be part of it.
Ginoverg.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]