• April 29, 2024, 03:10:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "new" 2014 model S already dead. :(  (Read 3226 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: "new" 2014 model S already dead. :(
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »

Unfortunately, it seems to be the norm that repairs take much longer than most of us users feel they should. It took exactly one month at the dealership to repair my '15 SR, and I was lucky they got it right on the first try. If the first attempt had not worked, I would have had to go through another cycle of at least 2-3 weeks of waiting and parts shipping from Zero to the dealership... And that is with a dealer who was really eager to do the repair as quickly as possible and with very focused support from Zero (so no unusual delays in my case, it just took that long to sort all things out and ship things from the West Coast to the East).
'15 Zero SR

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »

Unfortunately, it seems to be the norm that repairs take much longer than most of us users feel they should. It took exactly one month at the dealership to repair my '15 SR, and I was lucky they got it right on the first try. If the first attempt had not worked, I would have had to go through another cycle of at least 2-3 weeks of waiting and parts shipping from Zero to the dealership... And that is with a dealer who was really eager to do the repair as quickly as possible and with very focused support from Zero (so no unusual delays in my case, it just took that long to sort all things out and ship things from the West Coast to the East).

I don't know, to me this whole situation is kind of preposterous -- for a $15K vehicle, I can imagine springing for next day shipping can't be that big of a deal -- I do that all the time with other equipment. How is this situation acceptable to anyone? All it does is piss off Zero's customers, and generate bad press for Zero when those pissed off customers talk about their experiences to everyone they know.

I just called the local dealership again today, and the service manager said that the parts hadn't arrived yet, and he didn't know when exactly they would. A week ago the engineer at Zero that I spoke with said they should be that day, or the next day. A week before that, the problem was diagnosed at the dealership within a few hours of me dropping the bike off (and emailing the engineer at Zero to please contact the service tech).

From the time that the problem was diagnosed until now (with the parts *still* not having arrived), I could have literally bicycled, carrying them, from California to Texas. (And I've bicycled from the bay area to Houston before, so I know what I'm talking about.)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »

Either Zero does not have your parts in stock at the factory (which is quite possible), or their parts shipping department staff needs to start doing their job.   :(  I can't think of any reason not to ship out parts within a day or two of the order being placed by one of their dealers.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »

I would certainly hope that they keep BMS boards in-stock.  :o

Regardless, if they're not planning on being able to ship it for a while I would expect that they would (A) know that and (B) communicate that, just like any other company would. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:04 AM »

I would certainly hope that they keep BMS boards in-stock.  :o

Regardless, if they're not planning on being able to ship it for a while I would expect that they would (A) know that and (B) communicate that, just like any other company would.

Well, Zero isn't exactly like any other company.....
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »

Ask for a replacement vehicle - it tooks me months when I had to fix my bike, and they did not think about lending me another bike but lent me on old zero 2012 when I asked for. Not the same experience but at least you have a bike !

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »

When I had all the problems with my old 2012 I begged for any kind of loaner bike (or even a voucher to go find one on my own) and got turned down consistently, but when they open again I'll ask and see if this time I get any better response.

:(

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »

Just to update, I got my bike back last Thursday, and it's been riding fine so far. The range estimator seems a bit wonky, but I'm assuming that's due to the new BMS board recalibrating itself to the battery pack for now.

I'm glad to be on 2 wheels again, but Zero should seriously change how they do repairs -- it's insanity that my new bike was dead for 50% of the time I've had it. Even after diagnosing the problem it looks like it took Zero 2 weeks to send a BMS board in the mail 3 states away.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 04:04:44 AM »

I ordered a jacket, using "standard shipping, from the UK and it arrived at my home in CA within 5 days.  :)  So there are ways to mail packages quickly.   ::)

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 07:29:25 AM »

I hear ya, man. I dropped my Zero off at the dealership on June 3rd. I might get it back next week.  :-\

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 03:26:29 AM »

Exactly. I have no doubt that there are individuals at Zero HQ that go above and beyond to take care of stranded customers, but that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the company and the company's policies create situations that let their customers down (and after reading this forum for a bit, apparently frequently).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:55:12 PM by tico »

Pprior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »

Baffling. A company like this that sells high end niche products live and dies by customer service. The CEO of zero must have his head up his ass if he allows this kind of nonsense to be acceptable at his company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 11:20:09 PM »

Baffling. A company like this that sells high end niche products live and dies by customer service. The CEO of zero must have his head up his ass if he allows this kind of nonsense to be acceptable at his company.

I don't know anything about the CEO, but the customer service folks I've talked to have been great. Though it's one thing to get a repair approved under warranty, versus a customer service agent being able to change how many parts they keep in stock and how quickly they ship, or allowing for more sane repair and diagnosis options (published service manual, more "approved" dealers/technicians) so their customers aren't stuck for a month (or in the case of my 2012 S, and also my girlfriend's old XU,  many many months on end).

I agree that it's baffling, and the explanation of "oh no! high voltage!" doesn't hold water considering how many higher voltage machines have published troubleshooting/repair guides and widespread service techs.

If you leave motorcycles to the side for a moment, pretty much all heavy machinery I've seen uses 208/240VAC or even 480V, including just about every home/commercial air conditioning system,  mills/lathes/CNC ... now with solar power becoming common there are tons of folks comfortable troubleshooting much higher voltage DC systems, etc.

It's preposterous. I'm currently staring at the University of Houston's Engineering building, full of 18-20 year olds working on stuff that is more powerful than what Zero thinks an experienced mechanic couldn't possibly safely follow directions and troubleshoot.

The last kid that changed out the transformer and starting capacitors on the motor for my "high voltage" air conditioner was 16 years old.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 11:56:30 PM »

I don't think that's a fair or accurate analysis. Just because prices are still fairly high and volumes are still fairly low doesn't mean Zero is a boutique brand by any means. We saw what happened to Mission, and I have no idea how Lightning is still hanging on. Those are the boutiques.

It's a newly developing technology (and yes, I know some of the first vehicles were electric, but the modern incarnation of the technology is still very young), and a new manufacturer. Unlike the boutiques, or some companies like Tesla, they're not backed by lots of venture capital money, so they HAVE to show a profit or they'll go under. They're doing an outstanding job with a very finite amount of resources; the worst bottleneck is probably bandwidth. They're focused on product development and price reduction, right where they should be, and if they have to rely on the dealers for customer service, that's just how it has to be.

Even the occasional Tesla, Yamaha or Lexus customer has a customer service horror story. Yeah, Zero may have more of them, and probably will until they've achieved similar status to those brands. I think they're doing pretty well, given the row that they're trying to hoe. If you don't have the stomach to be an early adopter, then stay off the bus. Meanwhile, the rest of us will assume the risks, and enjoy our machines. I've put 27,000 miles on my bike with pretty damn good reliability, and couldn't be happier with it.

See you down the road, whatever machine you choose to ride.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 06:47:03 AM »

Just to update, I got my bike back last Thursday, and it's been riding fine so far. The range estimator seems a bit wonky, but I'm assuming that's due to the new BMS board recalibrating itself to the battery pack for now....

I got bad range estimates after my 4000 mile service (2014 SR new old stock as of last Fall)- apparently when they updated the firmware they reset the charge count, which confused the range estimate numbers for a few charges but eventually it re-learned.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3