• April 29, 2024, 01:02:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Has anyone replaced their horn with something people will actually hear?  (Read 3952 times)

Semper Why

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone replaced their horn with something people will actually hear?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 03:18:31 AM »

The next time I'm fiddling with something, I'll take some pictures. But to be honest, working in there is a PITA and I'm not inclined to open it up without an immediate need.

Hopefully this will help: In order to tie into +12v and bypass the fuses, I did the following:
  • Remove the seat
  • The fuse box is held in place by two bolts. Remove the one on the left. This will allow the box to swing towards you and out from under the frame.
  • On top of the fuse box are a bunch of blue connectors. They're the female side of spade connectors, covered by a rubber boot. The male side comes out of the top of the fuse box. Pick a connector and pull the blue boot straight up and off.
  • Underneath, you'll see the male connector, with a small hole in the end. If you're daring, you can try to thread your connector wire through this hole. That wasn't working for me, so I stripped off 1.25" or so of the wire from the horn, made a loop, and draped it around the male connector.
  • Twist, wrap, tape or solder your loop once it's around the connector so it's reasonably tight.
  • Replace the female connector in the blue boot back onto the male connector. Push hard so it goes all the way down and presses the wire loop down against the top of the fuse box.
  • TEST YOUR HORN
  • Apply electrical tape as you see fit. Replace the bolt in the fuse box. Replace the seat.
  • TEST YOUR HORN

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Has anyone replaced their horn with something people will actually hear?
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 06:04:38 AM »

The next time I'm fiddling with something, I'll take some pictures. But to be honest, working in there is a PITA and I'm not inclined to open it up without an immediate need.

Hopefully this will help: In order to tie into +12v and bypass the fuses, I did the following:
  • Remove the seat
  • The fuse box is held in place by two bolts. Remove the one on the left. This will allow the box to swing towards you and out from under the frame.
  • On top of the fuse box are a bunch of blue connectors. They're the female side of spade connectors, covered by a rubber boot. The male side comes out of the top of the fuse box. Pick a connector and pull the blue boot straight up and off.
  • Underneath, you'll see the male connector, with a small hole in the end. If you're daring, you can try to thread your connector wire through this hole. That wasn't working for me, so I stripped off 1.25" or so of the wire from the horn, made a loop, and draped it around the male connector.
  • Twist, wrap, tape or solder your loop once it's around the connector so it's reasonably tight.
  • Replace the female connector in the blue boot back onto the male connector. Push hard so it goes all the way down and presses the wire loop down against the top of the fuse box.
  • TEST YOUR HORN
  • Apply electrical tape as you see fit. Replace the bolt in the fuse box. Replace the seat.
  • TEST YOUR HORN

Nice write-up. I've adapted it into a more general set of instructions on the wiki:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#New_Circuits
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 2 [3]