• April 29, 2024, 09:36:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero top rack and GIVI case install  (Read 4561 times)

WoadRaider

• View Profile
Re: Zero top rack and GIVI case install
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »

I got the rack on order, but have not decided on a case yet. Can you snap and post a photo from the rear too, from some distance, not very up-close to show the size of the box mounted? I wonder how big of a box to get - yup, bigger is more useful, but I don't want something huge either.
How does it ride with the box? Can you feel it?
I don't know if you've picked a case yet, but I thought to share my short experience regarding the model Zero sells (I received/installed it a little over a week ago) with you, or anyone reading this who wants input. I think it looks good (although it does border on looking silly when I'm off the bike, like most rear boxes, because of how high it's set), it matches the bike, and I can't feel it at all while riding. The one downside would be that a full helmet does take up most of the space. I noticed in the instructions/pamphlet that the suggested top speed was something like 70-75mph but I end up going faster than that with it on and don't notice it shaking or moving any more than at slightly lower speeds. It only moves/vibrates very slightly. I can take a picture of it but you can just find a bunch of pictures by google image searching "ZERO TOP BOX BY GIVI".
perspective, use it

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I did end-up getting a used case, a 55 liter Monokey (forgot which model exactly) with lights kit. It is huge, but will hold my helmet and jacket with some room to spare. Still haven't installed the adapter, so have not actually ridden with it yet.

I got the rack on order, but have not decided on a case yet. Can you snap and post a photo from the rear too, from some distance, not very up-close to show the size of the box mounted? I wonder how big of a box to get - yup, bigger is more useful, but I don't want something huge either.
How does it ride with the box? Can you feel it?
I don't know if you've picked a case yet, but I thought to share my short experience regarding the model Zero sells (I received/installed it a little over a week ago) with you, or anyone reading this who wants input. I think it looks good (although it does border on looking silly when I'm off the bike, like most rear boxes, because of how high it's set), it matches the bike, and I can't feel it at all while riding. The one downside would be that a full helmet does take up most of the space. I noticed in the instructions/pamphlet that the suggested top speed was something like 70-75mph but I end up going faster than that with it on and don't notice it shaking or moving any more than at slightly lower speeds. It only moves/vibrates very slightly. I can take a picture of it but you can just find a bunch of pictures by google image searching "ZERO TOP BOX BY GIVI".
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I did end-up getting a used case, a 55 liter Monokey (forgot which model exactly) with lights kit. It is huge, but will hold my helmet and jacket with some room to spare. Still haven't installed the adapter, so have not actually ridden with it yet.

The huge case you're describing is a Givi Maxia (gen 3 or 4 usually). I've used one for 5 years and Terry is using one on his blue 2015 SR.

The OEM case is a Monolock (different plate) E340 and is quite small.

In principle there is a concern about the weight at the end of the top rack as a lever on riding dynamics and in strong gusts at high speed but the warnings are more cautionary. Mount it solidly and don't put bricks in it and you should be fine.

That said, an Elcon or Supercharger in the top case kind of makes me nervous personally for that reason. Reinforcing the top rack would be good for Zero or for us.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

I got the biggest monolock I could find (I want to say 48 liters?) and it works great.

In principle there is a concern about the weight at the end of the top rack as a lever on riding dynamics and in strong gusts at high speed but the warnings are more cautionary. Mount it solidly and don't put bricks in it and you should be fine.

I brought home a 40-lb box of kitty litter from the pet store one day, and could definitely feel it affecting the handling of the bike. It wasn't a problem, you just need to be aware of it. But yeah, I'd be reluctant to permanently mount something heavy that high up -- the "gas tank" area is plenty high enough already!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »

I too was tempted to get the large Monolock case because the Monolock cases are a bit lighter than the Monokey cases of the same size. But I've had a good experience with a V46 before (other than that it is quite heavy in itself), so when the 55L showed up used at a reasonable price, I snatched it.

I got the biggest monolock I could find (I want to say 48 liters?) and it works great.

I brought home a 40-lb box of kitty litter from the pet store one day, and could definitely feel it affecting the handling of the bike. It wasn't a problem, you just need to be aware of it. But yeah, I'd be reluctant to permanently mount something heavy that high up -- the "gas tank" area is plenty high enough already!
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 11:45:21 PM »

Do you know if the E251 supports installation of light kits, such as this one: http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/case-accessories/brake-light-kits/e126-stoplight-kit-detail

The M5 plate that I got with my box it has a little opening where the contacts for the light kit fit. I don't see that on the universal plates. If that is the case, it might motivate me to adapt my M5 adapter to the Zero, rather than get the universal one and loose my light kit option....

Thanks!

Got my top rack for my 2016 DSR.  There were no instructions with it but install was simple.  Remove the seat (unscrew the torx bolts on either side, not the allen head bolts).  Pull the seat off and fit the frack over the bike frame (remember to install the rubber number where the rack rests on the rear fender).  Two small allen head bolts go through the frame holes then replace the seat and screw the torx bolts back in through the rear rack frame (see pix).  To install any GIVI box get the universal monokey (part E251) top case plate and mount it as shown in the photo.  It uses 4 bolts with clamps that will fit any rack almost.  I went with the bigger V46 top case as I have used this on a variety of bikes and for me gives the best size/function ratio.  Cheers! ;D
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »

Do you know if the E251 supports installation of light kits, such as this one: http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/case-accessories/brake-light-kits/e126-stoplight-kit-detail

The M5 plate that I got with my box it has a little opening where the contacts for the light kit fit. I don't see that on the universal plates. If that is the case, it might motivate me to adapt my M5 adapter to the Zero, rather than get the universal one and loose my light kit option....

Thanks!

Got my top rack for my 2016 DSR.  There were no instructions with it but install was simple.  Remove the seat (unscrew the torx bolts on either side, not the allen head bolts).  Pull the seat off and fit the frack over the bike frame (remember to install the rubber number where the rack rests on the rear fender).  Two small allen head bolts go through the frame holes then replace the seat and screw the torx bolts back in through the rear rack frame (see pix).  To install any GIVI box get the universal monokey (part E251) top case plate and mount it as shown in the photo.  It uses 4 bolts with clamps that will fit any rack almost.  I went with the bigger V46 top case as I have used this on a variety of bikes and for me gives the best size/function ratio.  Cheers! ;D

It does (at least on my older E250), but you have to punch out a hole that is pre-made for it but solidly attached. I just drilled some carefully spaced small holes on the inside trace and cut around from there.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »

Thanks!
'15 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »

SoundMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 02:33:57 AM »

Now add some nice soft-side bags for only $79 by Moto Centric.
Pages: 1 [2]