• April 29, 2024, 12:55:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Considering a Zero SR for commuting  (Read 5056 times)

guppie70

• View Profile
Re: Considering a Zero SR for commuting
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »

Something else I was wondering about.
If you look at the specs of the Zero SR on the website (http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php?model=sr), you'll see that adding the power tank option costs 0.6 seconds in acceleration time (0-60).
Is that just due to the added weight (about 25kg according to the sales person)? Or is there some software limitation kicking in?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »

I definitely feel my DSR is a touch more sluggish after adding 25lbs of accessories...

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »

25 kgs?  Or 25 lbs?  But yeah, weight is huge.  Rider weight, especially: say 125 lbs versus 170 lbs.  That works out to about 10% of the gross vehicle weight. 
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »

As I mentioned before, it's hard to compare acceleration on two totally different machines when one of them makes no noise or vibration at all!

That's the part that has me totally hooked!
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:08 PM »

What I meant by saying an ICE bike is faster when "going for it" was indeed using maximum power/throttle in the right gear.
It's all about expectation management: the marketing lady I spoke before my test drive said that the power of the bike was comparable with a litre bike (something like my K1300). Well: it's not...
You are correct, it's not as fast as a litre bike. That was an over reach by the sales person. I tell people it's about the same as a 650 twin. I have never ridden a 650 twin but a reviewer stated it.
, so I go with that. Many youtube videos state a similar thing. Some show a drag with a 600cc and a 1000cc. The 600 stays with it early until it hits max RPM in first gear, the 1000cc is quicker at all stages.   

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »

With the Zero it is the relative ease with which one can get more consistent acceleration times vs. a bike where one has to switch gears and be worried about controlling wheel spin and front wheel lift. On the SR it is just twist and go - on a good dry pavement on a straight line it won't spin the rear tire, it won't lift the front tire. At least with my 200+lb on it is nothing to get scared from. I have not measured my 0-60 times, but I would think they are over 4s but not much more than that. While a 600cc bike (or a liter bike) is certainly capable of faster 0-60 times with a skilled rider, I would think on the average it won't beat the SR/DSR by any margin that matters whatsoever on the street and in terms of quick reactions the SR is always in the right gear and quick enough, so might actually have an advantage on the average. Now, if you want to wheelie, that's a different story - the SR is a sore looser in that department (although I find it mostly a benefit since I don't have to worry about it wheeling from under me unexpectedly :) )
'15 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »

With the Zero it is the relative ease with which one can get more consistent acceleration times vs. a bike where one has to switch gears and be worried about controlling wheel spin and front wheel lift. On the SR it is just twist and go - on a good dry pavement on a straight line it won't spin the rear tire, it won't lift the front tire. At least with my 200+lb on it is nothing to get scared from. I have not measured my 0-60 times, but I would think they are over 4s but not much more than that. While a 600cc bike (or a liter bike) is certainly capable of faster 0-60 times with a skilled rider, I would think on the average it won't beat the SR/DSR by any margin that matters whatsoever on the street and in terms of quick reactions the SR is always in the right gear and quick enough, so might actually have an advantage on the average. Now, if you want to wheelie, that's a different story - the SR is a sore looser in that department (although I find it mostly a benefit since I don't have to worry about it wheeling from under me unexpectedly :) )
because of similar redlines and similar gearing, you dont have to shift any of the 600cc bikes to get to 60,  They're all right at 2.8 seconds. the literbikes are all at 2.6 now, but the 06 GSXR 1000  claimed 2.3-something.. I dont buy that one. lol. 
yes a fast ICE bike start doesnt start at idle RPM so some skill is required, but even a non-pro overweight rider that has only the most basic concept of a launch will be deep in  the 3 second times.
Its the CG, gearing, and traction that are the limitation, not power. In the case of the zero, its the power.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2016, 12:06:40 AM »

I hear at least one shift from the bikes behind me as I'm lifting off at the speed limit (please reference my previous post). Maybe riders with gearboxes don't want their bike to sound like they're racing and draw the kind of attention that results in citations. I, of course, don't have that issue and when I sit up I think I'm sending the signal that I'm trying to be a law-abiding angel.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2016, 03:23:00 AM »

That being said, if reliability is a concern, and/or if you can't borrow another motorcycle or car to get to work if the Zero dies on you, then it might make since to include an older beater like a ratty old Ninja 250 or CB250 in your budget in case your Zero ends up in the shop for a month or two.

Why are you explicitly mentioning this? Is the Zero not very reliable? Or do you have experience with (very) long waiting times in case parts need to be ordered?

I had a ton of problems with my 2012, both with the bike and with getting any work done on it (under warranty) through the local dealer. Then I got a new 2014 model S and a month into owning it I ended up dead in the water for a month, just to get a single circuit board replaced. Feel free to read through my comment history, or just start here:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5949.0

But basically, the bikes should be incredibly reliable, there's less that should wear out, etc; but if something does break, their undiagnosable by oneself or any other local mechanic (since Zero doesn't release a factory service manual), and even after taking it to a Zero dealer the dealer mechanics are dependent on the factory for remote diagnostics, much less actually getting parts ordered and actually shipped out.

Thus, it's the complete opposite of a cheap beater 250 that anyone can work on, even if over the lifetime of the bikes the Zero may require less often repairs, it seems you'd be less likely to be stuck without transportation for months with a cheapo gas bike as a backup.

The Zero is certainly way cooler, but read around the comment histories for other people's repair times and make a decision for yourself.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2016, 03:34:03 AM »

Second, it may seem new and unfamiliar, but it's really just like any other vehicle. If it breaks down, you get it to the shop, get it repaired, you're back on the road. I suspect that for several years, Zero had more reliability problems than most motorcycle makes, and repairs may have taken longer, strictly because they're a new manufacturer and they are using a different drivetrain technology than the others use. But most of us with 2013/2014 bikes have found them quite reliable, and my understanding is the newer bikes are even better.

I think just about every single person on this forum would tell you not to let the fear of the unknown keep you from the wonderful experience these machines provide. They are WORTH it.

Of course if it breaks down you get it to a shop, and wait for it to be repaired. But unless you happen to break down next to not just any motorcycle shop but a Zero dealer, and the repair and parts takes a couple of days instead of a month or more, then it's not like owning any other vehicle. The problem with my new 2014 in another thread is an example.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2016, 07:50:36 AM »

I hear at least one shift from the bikes behind me as I'm lifting off at the speed limit (please reference my previous post). Maybe riders with gearboxes don't want their bike to sound like they're racing and draw the kind of attention that results in citations. I, of course, don't have that issue and when I sit up I think I'm sending the signal that I'm trying to be a law-abiding angel.

I agree with this entirely. I've smoked every gas bike that's pulled up next to me at the light and revved. Some I've beat repeatedly at lights ahead and they keep trying. You've hit the nail on the head - people don't want to rev to 12,000RPMs to be in proper launch range, they don't want to attract the attention. So they end up giving it a bit of gas, and ramping it up as they go. Maybe reaching 4 or 5 seconds 0-60. I've timed myself at 4 seconds, but I'm carrying more weight on me than the 130 pound test rider that did it in 3.4 or whatever.

Also, those gas bikes that do 2.x or 3 flat - that's with a 130lb professional drag racer. Most commuters or just casual riders aren't comfortable with redlining and dumping the clutch, but leaving just enough in to keep the wheel down. They also weigh more than that 14 year old pro drag racer that gave the bike the official 2.x second 0-60. Real world, for so many reasons, I can do 0-60 in 4 seconds off of every light and never be bothered by police, and no gas biker yet has been crazy enough to do more than barely keep up with me.

That's just my experiences though. Notice that I'm not saying that a professional drag racer on a decent street bike wouldn't fly past me off the line - there's just very few of those around, and ever fewer that are willing to risk their license doing it and making all that noise on the suburban streets.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2016, 07:35:48 PM »

Think it's really cool that so many persons on this forum take the time to share their ideas and comments!

My personal conclusions thus far:
* Zero SR performance
The fact that the marketing person of Zero told me to expect “liter bike performance” set my expectations too high. Guess that @grmarks is about right - the acceleration performance is about the same as a SV650 (or something like that).
In order to accelerate hard, the Zero SR takes no effort at all: just twist the throttle and off you go. In “real life situations” you will probably be quicker than an ICE bike because of this.
Torque on an ICE bike is bigger because the gearbox multiplies the torque before it’s sent to the rear wheel. On the Zero SR there is a direct connection so the claimed torque of the engine is also available (minus drivetrain losses) on the rear wheel.

* Zero SR range
This should be sufficient for my commuting needs. For sure if I would opt for the extra power pack.

* Zero SR package
This is very personal, but for EUR 21000 this is simply too basic to justify such an investment. Even if the running/maintenance costs are much less than my current machine.
For me the SR is missing: distinct styling, proper fairing, proper brakes and forks, etc. (see earlier post).

As I can only own one bike, the 2016 SR at this price level is not going to persuade me to trade in my current bike...
But who knows what Zero will come up with in 2017?
Maybe this could act as an inspiration: http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-zero-sr-electric-motorcycle
Note how the page is mentioning "The price might be steep, but the Zero’s performance is breathtaking: Your right hand controls 106 ft-lb of instantaneous torque, which is more than an EBR 1190RX or Suzuki Hayabusa.". This is how the confusion starts...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]