• April 29, 2024, 08:16:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Double USB port installation  (Read 3174 times)

SteveInNC

• View Profile
Re: Double USB port installation
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 08:26:42 PM »

I had planned on getting this setup done this weekend if it rained and by god it's raining. Anyway, I cannot for the life of me find the Sumitomo (I think that's the term) connector. I have taken the tank cover off but, I just don't see it. I see the SAE connector but I would like to plug and play and I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere. I have a Power Tank, does that require removing that connector? My power kit looks just like this one from Zero. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=206

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »

It should be in front of the tank near the centerline. It was more accessible on my 2013 than my 2016 which has more installed there. On the 16 I found that it was tucked behind some other wiring connectors. I'll include some photos I took a while ago, not quite ideal...

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

SteveInNC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »

Thanks Brian!

I think I have my work cut out for me as it looks like I'll have to lift out the power pack to access the plug. Thanks very much for the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »

I think if the tank plastics are removed that you can access it from the front. Good luck.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »

I installed a similar USB adapter. I am traveling so I don't have the exact model number. In my case, there was a positive and a negative spade terminal on the back. I cut an SAE extension in half and crimped female terminals onto the bare wires. One good push and it connected right up.

In my case, the threads made it just a tad too large to fit in the hole in the dash. I ground off half of the threads and the ring nut still had enough to grip. I'll try to get you an Amazon link when I get home. That linked picture looks correct though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Ethestral

• Plugged in at the 10kw array inverter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 04:18:41 AM »

Thought I would add my two cents here. I used a Blue Sea systems double USB smart charger. On the 2016's it is a standard 1 1/8" hole so it was as simple as pulling the rubber plug and dropping it in. Advantage to using marine outlets and electronics, typically anything going onto an ocean going vessel must meet a minimum quality standard. The weather proofing on the equipment also lends itself well to rough treatment from a motorcycle install.

Here are the photos of the easiest install I have ever had on a motorcycle. Did i mention its a 4.8A smart charger (wont burn your sensitive electronic bits, runs its own safety checks)

Patrick is on a good point about these connectors http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SMTS/smts.html Eastern Beaver is a good source, just have to wait for post from Japan.

I installed the exact same port as on the picture as well (see details here).   

I ran a similar set up on my last motorcycle and saw some light rains, never left anything plugged in and charging during a deluge though.

Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Charge-Charger/dp/B01BV1MTAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468620952&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+sea+systems+usb+4.8

20160715_144231 by Ethestral, on Flickr

20160715_144240 by Ethestral, on Flickr

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 06:28:15 AM »

Nice! Now that I've sorted my electrical problem, I arranged to use both plugs. The dual USB plug I found glows when on.

I drilled through the power tank cover to install the second plug and routed the connectors along that left side where I can deal with them without removing the supercharger.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:31:50 AM by BrianTRice »
Pages: 1 [2]