• April 28, 2024, 07:13:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: My Diginow has arrived!  (Read 10158 times)

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
Re: My Diginow has arrived!
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »

Sorry for the absence.  I was out on a two-day trip.  Will report on some findings later.  For a quick overview see this stream of tweets (start at the bottom and work your way up).  But for now, a few direct replies:

It is very doubtful that you can place the J inlet in that very attractive center of the tank plastics. Mine is mounted halfway over the forward edge.
That makes a lot of sense!  Excellent pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm really glad I only drilled a small hole to measure clearance first.  That'll be really easy to patch.

This is a bit off topic, but is that the power cable rolled up in the hole through the frame? How did you fold the cable to get it in there?
The first time I bent it into shape was right after charging so the cable was hot and flexible, since then, I never completely straighten it so that it keeps the same shape instead of bending and unbending.  So I fold it in half first, then from the folded end (not the plug end), I fold at a length slightly shorter than then width of the compartment.  It's useful that the plugs are in the middle of the cable when folded so they don't poke out.  I realize this might shorten the life of the cable, but being able to store it there is just too convenient.

Another off topic question, did you not qualify for the battery upgrade? If not you should inquire about it with ZERO
Unfortunately I didn't.  As soon as my dealership heard of the program, they contacted me saying that I might get a free battery upgrade, but they needed to confirm my VIN first.  Turns out my specific bike is outside that VIN range.  I guess they had different batches of 2013 batteries and mine was fine.

Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2016, 09:04:04 PM »

Now some tips for everyone else getting their charger...

My experience has been that Brandon is incredibly helpful when it comes to troubleshooting problems, but the "mass"-communication as been pretty spotty.
  • Before receiving my charger, I got an email from Hunter confirming the shipping address, time, and tracking number.  Perfect.
  • I didn't get any instructions or guidance regarding the install or usage though.  Just the charger.  Oops.

If that's the case for you too, here's what I recommend you ask for:
  • The instructions that Brian wrote pro bono.  Ask Brandon for them though as it's not fair to Brian to have to deal with customer service.  I'm not sure why these are not simply posted online somewhere or sent along with the initial "we're shipping your charger" email.
  • Get the instructions on using the App.  It's web-based so all you need a is browser, but you'll need to know the WiFi SSID (easy enough to find) and the password (which is unique to your charger).  Once connected to the charger, navigate to  192.168.0.1  (no "http://" or "www." in front).  For me, having the App was absolutely essential in troubleshooting a problem I had with a few charging stations.  Also: make sure you understand how to throttle the power to meet the station's maximum power (P = VI is your friend).
  • Double check that you got everything you needed.  I was missing the Nema 14-50 adapter, which is now in transit.

Again, while Brandon's one-on-one communication and help is amazing (considering how crazy busy the man must be), general instructions to the masses was somewhat lacking in my case.  More of that would save him (and his amazing helpers) some time answer the same questions over and over I think.
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »

Thanks, Patrick! I'm limited in what I can say partly because I can't keep up to date with their decisions and can't speak for them, and I'm not entitled to say or publish just anything online about it. I think a little messaging would have gone a long way.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:44 PM »

Still waiting for a ship notice. Diginow was paid by dealer last week. Mildly annoyed that the communication from Diginow is a total void.

Seperately, Brandon is great to interact with for technical inquery, but no joy from the business side of things

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
My Diginow has arrived!
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »

Oh, I'll say that creating an "app icon" for the URL is helpful for quick access. I bundle it on iOS with my Zero app and 10+ charging apps (thankfully I mostly only need 3).

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a hybrid app through DigiNow or if I can scrounge up the time, mainly to provide a higher level interface with more persistent state.

Electronpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2016, 06:53:56 AM »

Looking at one the diginow charges wondering if Brandon could message me about using the charger for both my nissan leaf and the zero.  Thanks

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »

Looking at one the diginow charges wondering if Brandon could message me about using the charger for both my nissan leaf and the zero.  Thanks
It's capable of doing both, just that it will come programmed for your Zero, so the question will be, can it easily be reprogrammed for your leaf or is it a complex process.  When you find out let us know, I'm hoping to get a Bolt in 2017. It's unclear what the onboard charger on that will be. If it's 10k, then the diginow won't be needed.

Electronpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:40 AM »

I have a older 2011 leaf so it only charges at 3.6 kw max.  10 kw would be great 0-full in only 2.5 hours.  Would make those days I forget to plug the car in the night before better so I wouldn't be a hour or more late to work.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2016, 08:37:47 AM »

I have a older 2011 leaf so it only charges at 3.6 kw max.  10 kw would be great 0-full in only 2.5 hours.  Would make those days I forget to plug the car in the night before better so I wouldn't be a hour or more late to work.
Yea, but does the leaf have a BMS and controller, aux port like the Zero that allows and adjusts to higher voltages, or will it simply charge at the 3.6 rate?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2016, 02:20:08 AM »

Yea, but does the leaf have a BMS and controller, aux port like the Zero that allows and adjusts to higher voltages, or will it simply charge at the 3.6 rate?

This question feels really awkwardly-framed, so I'll give a poor but correct answer to hopefully unjam this.

All EVs have a BMS and controller. The EMotorWerks non-homologated product ( https://emotorwerks.com/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/dc-charging-systems/1657-mini-smartcharge-12000-a-12kw-universal-voltage-ev-charger-fully-assembled-tested/category_pathway-17 ) can target up to a 360V DC battery pack.

The only question is how difficult is it to hook them up and re-program the charger against it, without breaking either vehicle because you forgot to switch the programming every single time.

For what it's worth, appreciate the fact that you're asking for a capability that literally does not exist yet in any shipping product. All chargers are made/homologated to one vehicle, or they are generic DIY programmable, and not both.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]