• April 27, 2024, 11:02:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: My Diginow has arrived!  (Read 10156 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: My Diginow has arrived!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 06:36:56 AM »

And here's the Anderson connector that mates to the bike's external charger connector. The housing is marked "+" and "-" so you just insert the red wire into the "+" and the black wire into the "-". The signal lead has four possible positions, and this is the correct position. It's next to the "-" lead; look at the next picture to see which of the two positions next to the "-" lead it's installed in.

This terminal is pretty tricky to get fully seated. Use a very small screwdriver, or maybe an unfolded paper clip to drive it firmly into its socket. You should be able to feel it engage when it seats, and a gentle tug should not pull it out of the connector housing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:42:27 AM by Doug S »
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 06:39:43 AM »

Here's the same connector face-on, black power wire still on the left. You can see two of the smaller signal pin sockets are mounted in a higher boss, and the other two are mounted in a lower boss. The one signal pin we have to worry about goes next to the black wire, in the lower boss.

You can also see which way the big terminals insert; they have a leaf spring behind them which will give a very perceptible click when the terminal is fully inserted.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »

Someone at Zero should be shot for where they mounted the external charge connector. This is all but inaccessible....glad I only have to do it once!

If you use dielectric grease, and you should, don't get any of it inside the connector. It's an insulator (dielectric), and pretty hard to scrub off, so it could cause connection problems if it gets on the connector pins themselves. Goop it all around the outside; its job is to keep water from infiltrating. I think I made a pretty suitable mess here.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »

This is the 14-50 adapter Diginow supplies; as shown in an earlier pic it's a fairly short cable with a 14-50 plug on one end and a J1772 on the other. I was a little concerned about the J1772 connector clearing the handlebar -- that thing is a monstrosity, easily ten times as big as it needs to be. I did have to remove my cell phone mount, but the J1772 does fit, and I think I'll be able to find another spot for the cell mount.

I mounted my connector so that the J1772 comes in sideways from the left, like this. Since the bike is on its kickstand when charging, it seemed like this orientation will give the short cable a better chance of reaching the outlet.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 06:54:36 AM »

Here she is, all buttoned up with her new equipment. Red and purple don't go together very well.

I'm going to test it tomorrow; it's hot out there and I'm tired. I don't like the quality of the work I do when I'm tired.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »

Doug, what windscreen do you have on your bike? How about the mounts for it? Can you post a photo where the entire screen is visible? Thanks!
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 11:15:23 AM »

This is a great write-up! I'm glad everything came across mostly clearly. I definitely share your concerns about chafing, and for my connectors I wound up using vinyl tape carefully to get some strain relief.

The red connector routing can go through the right side, but definitely optimize for holding it in place firmly without chafing, so what you chose seems sensible. I also think you're right about the grounding.

I can't comment too much on the rest, having experienced a number of iterations and not knowing latest decisions completely.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:04 PM »

Doug, what windscreen do you have on your bike? How about the mounts for it? Can you post a photo where the entire screen is visible? Thanks!

It's an old-school Slipstreamer. Old-fashioned esthetics, obsolete mounting, big and ugly. But I like the "big" part, it mounted up pretty easily, and it seems to be working pretty well. There's a bit of buffeting at the top of my helmet, but otherwise it's a pretty comfortable ride, and my range improved by more than 20% when I put it on.

Best picture I've got of the whole screen.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 10:42:28 PM »

This is the 14-50 adapter Diginow supplies; as shown in an earlier pic it's a fairly short cable with a 14-50 plug on one end and a J1772 on the other.

Does the adapter put out a pilot signal at all?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 11:42:38 PM »

This is the 14-50 adapter Diginow supplies; as shown in an earlier pic it's a fairly short cable with a 14-50 plug on one end and a J1772 on the other.

Does the adapter put out a pilot signal at all?

A 14-50 socket has no need for a pilot signal. It's just a power jack. Two hots, a neutral (not used) and ground.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2016, 11:48:23 PM »

An adapter could simulate the pilot signal, but the Supercharger is configurable on the fly to control what power it draws when there's no signal, which is safer than faking a signal that might not match the circuit.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 01:41:03 AM »

An adapter could simulate the pilot signal, but the Supercharger is configurable on the fly to control what power it draws when there's no signal, which is safer than faking a signal that might not match the circuit.

Does it "remember" the last setting, or do you have to set it each time?

My thought is, because the adapter is not telling it that 40A is available, it must remember that setting...  otherwise you would have to set it each time you plugged in at home until you get an EVSE.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 03:18:46 AM »

It's an old-school Slipstreamer. Old-fashioned esthetics, obsolete mounting, big and ugly. But I like the "big" part, it mounted up pretty easily, and it seems to be working pretty well. There's a bit of buffeting at the top of my helmet, but otherwise it's a pretty comfortable ride, and my range improved by more than 20% when I put it on.

Best picture I've got of the whole screen.

I like the purple and so does this guy:

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 03:21:03 AM »

Does it "remember" the last setting, or do you have to set it each time?

My thought is, because the adapter is not telling it that 40A is available, it must remember that setting...  otherwise you would have to set it each time you plugged in at home until you get an EVSE.

DigiNow needs to comment on that, or I can when I have time to dig around to figure out what the final decision was (tonight or tomorrow); I have to update my software to the final version, for example.

What I've been working with has defaults that have to be overridden each time. However, it's become easier to do that as the control software has matured, and I imagine or might encourage some of those overrides to be remembered user preferences, so you can hit a big button for "yes, this seems to be a real deal 50A/220V drop" or "6.6kW".

The control system is capable of remembering quite a bit across sessions in principle, but the risk of assuming a certain power level moving from one signal-less connection to another is overloading a newly-introduced charging circuit.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 03:29:38 AM »

The control system is capable of remembering quite a bit across sessions in principle, but the risk of assuming a certain power level moving from one signal-less connection to another is overloading a newly-introduced charging circuit.

This is exactly why I was asking...  all that can be avoided if the adapter put out a signal, even if it wasnt a J1772 signal... Theres other methods too, like a RFID, but that adds complexity of its own.

I dont have an EVSE in my garage, but I do have a 14-50 socket... so my thought was "will I have to remember to tell it it can use more power everytime I plug in?"...  of course that leads to the second thought of "If I give it power when it was last set to the 14-50, will it try to draw 40A?!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9