• April 28, 2024, 07:59:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Which tool do I need to adjust the rear pre-load on FXS  (Read 1377 times)

MajorMajor

• View Profile
Which tool do I need to adjust the rear pre-load on FXS
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:10:50 AM »

Hey everyone,

The manual just says "Use the adjustment wrench".
Which wrench do I need?
Where can I purchase it?

I tried with a universal adjustment tool but it wouldn't fit.
My dealer wants $400 for a tool kit.
Appreciate the help.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Which tool do I need to adjust the rear pre-load on FXS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:38:31 AM »

This is what I use:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/84965029

If you want to protect the anodizing you can wrap the end with aluminum tape, which should last for a couple of adjustments.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 04:57:24 AM »

Here are a few.

I wonder how many of those tools will actually work OK on an FXS, or many other Zeros for that matter, without partial disassembly or shock removal.  If a bike's shock preload adjuster has fair access - as not one of my four monoshock bikes does - it's possible one or more of these type tools might be able to turn the nut enough to get onto the next slot, but I'd definitely check your bike first before buying one.  My drift punch works fine on all my bikes, needing only a 1" hole (or less) in the right spot.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:58:30 AM »

All the Zero's use similar rear suspension setups, so one spanner wrench will work for all of them.  It's a tight for for the s and ds models, and for the FX and FXS, you need to remove the rear battery to get access.
2015 Zero FX

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »

All the Zero's use similar rear suspension setups, so one spanner wrench will work for all of them.  It's a tight for for the s and ds models, and for the FX and FXS, you need to remove the rear battery to get access.

So we're in agreement - there's one wrench that fits all the Zero shocks, and adjustment of those shocks using that wrench will be difficult.  I'll stick with the punch. :)

Ray

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »

I ended up using a massive screwdriver but I was really hoping there was a wrench that could fit the FXS without deconstructing it (since it has to have the full weight for proper adjustment).

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »

I thought a hammer and a large flat bladed screwdriver was the right tool for any shock. ;-)
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »

I'm going to try one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Shock-Preload-Adjusting-Tool-/272327189016?hash=item3f67f72218:g:9MkAAOSw41xXOvdh&vxp=mtr

The reviews are good (apparently it's pretty beefy), it concentrates force in the corner of the nut slot so damage should be minimal, and it looks like it can get into tight places and around corners a little too.

Ray

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »

I have always used light tapping with a plastic mallet using a large screwdriver, but I am sure there are better tools.  However, since I don't carry passengers, I rarely alter the shock preload once set for my weight, so causing damage to the shock preload adjustment rings is not a big issue for me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »

If you use a large brass punch and a hammer you can rotate it without damaging the shock at all.

I personally have not had to do it that way, but some bikes require shock removal to set the preload, so I have watched other techs do it to their bikes.   use a oversize punch, and file the tip flatter to fit in the square slot.
Pages: [1]