• March 29, 2024, 11:18:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero FXS tail disassembly  (Read 1255 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Zero FXS tail disassembly
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »

As I mentioned in a previous post, I busted my tail light on the FXS's maiden journey  :P.  It ended up being a more extensive process to replace than I first thought. Here's my documentation of it.

Tools needed:
Tail light assembly $15 - cheaper than I thought it would be for OEM
Two 13 mm wrenches
One 17 mm wrench
Phillips screwdriver
7 mm socket with extension or nut driver
8 mm socket or wrench
small zip tie

Steps:

1.  Remove seat using two 13 mm wrenches (not pictured)
2.  Remove the tail section by removing 4 bolts picutred - nut on top is 8 mm, bottom of bolt is 7mm   The front left bolt has the grounding strap on it.  These are fairly easy to remove with the proper tools.  The rear bolts were a little harder for me. The bolts were recessed inside the plastic of the tail and don't have much profile, so it was a little hard to grab on to.
3.  Flip over tail section and remove 4 screws to separate. 
4.  Cut zip tie to free wires
5.  Disconnect two wires for tail light.  Make note of the colors as they my not match.  The length of one is slightly longer than the length of the other.
6.  Remove nut that holds tail light assembly using 17 mm wrench.
7.  Reverse the process to re-assemble.

I won't bore you with the details, but it took me a few hours to do this because I hadn't done it before and thought I could do it with less disassembly than I first thought.  Now that I write it out (and if I was to do it again), it would be much quicker. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:18:13 AM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Yon

• View Profile
Re: Zero FXS tail disassembly
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »

Yes, but once opened its a great place to install an alarm and/or GPS tracker. You can connect to the 12v to recharge or to power.

laramie LC4

• View Profile
Re: Zero FXS tail disassembly
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 03:01:08 AM »

nice. as soon as the temps drop to a sub-sarahan like state in the garage, this will be the first thing on my list. ditching that ridiculous incandescent light with a trim, slick, bright LED. will do the blinkers at the same time. it is going to clean up the back of the bike so much better than it is now. already have the replacement taillight ready

thanks for posting,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC
Pages: [1]