• April 29, 2024, 07:50:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Temperature questions  (Read 663 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Temperature questions
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »

The temperatures on my new FXS while sitting the the garage unplugged are:

86 F  Ambient from thermometer
109 F  Motor     
 93 F  Battery   
 88 F  Controller

It was not recently ridden.  Should I be concerned that the motor temperature is so far off?  I'm trying to figure out if this will impact my riding, but have found the owner's manual lacking in information (or else I'm not looking in the right place.  It qualitatively describes the thermal strategy, but the only quantitative information for high temperature are as follows:

110 F battery temperature - reduced charge current
122 F battery temperature - no charging
140 F battery temperature - no operation

Where can I find the values for the thermal limits?  I tried searching, but admittedly didn't read every post in the forum.

EDIT:

From the article Richard230 just linked to, the thermal limit for the motor is at 284 F with a warning at 212 F.  I'm still curious what the limits are for the battery and controller and under what conditions those might be more limiting.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:17:21 AM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Temperature questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 03:02:42 AM »

The reported temperature at rest for the motor is way off for most people. Mine too. The controller and battery readings on mine seem close enough to reality, it's just the motor that is off. It has not caused problems while riding. I have the '15 SR (with the older, non IPM motor) and have gotten the warning light to come-up only once so far and it did not actually get to a point where power was reduced - I was riding very fast, way faster than I should have on a public road, and the weather was hot too. I do not think it will ever come on in  "normal" commuting for me.

It is unclear if the motor temp. readings are more accurate in operation, when it is actually hot, vs. when it is cool in the garage...
'15 Zero SR

pres68y

• 2013 MX -setup for only Flat Track.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »

How or what did you use to measure the component temperatures with?
If it's an IR signature then surface type (and color) will affect the reading.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »

Temperatures are as reported by the app.  Since the bike was sitting in the garage unplugged, the difference from ambient is error in the sensor calibration.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR
Pages: [1]