• April 28, 2024, 04:14:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DIY Sidecase frame  (Read 940 times)

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
DIY Sidecase frame
« on: May 23, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »

Hey all,

what are your toughs?

So,,, I find the side case rack of zero a bit... meh, because of:
  • the 11 pounds at each side.
  • the fact that it takes a while to remove the rack
  • the new position of the turn light indicators

I went for the DIY version,, but now I am a bit stuck... Or, I'm not sure how to proceed.
The first start of the frame is in the pictures below. It is not finished yet, since I need to make the same parts at the other side. And at the back of the frame there will be a bar from left to right of the motorcycle (Red hand drawing). This to ensure the frame would not touch the the tire.

I'm not sure if I need to add another bar (the one in green) to ensure the case will not touch my rear break.

I'm also not sure which side case I want to use yet. Probably something like the image below since I have a Top case which is also in the same style.

Do you guys have any tips and tricks?
Things to look out for?

I'm mostly concerned about the width of the boxes. Anyway to ensure my side case will not hit the road when I'm in a turn?

- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
Re: DIY Sidecase frame
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:54:26 AM »

Unless you plan on attaching massive cases they will not touch the ground in a corner.

Most rack systems try to spread the load evenly along to top rail. Your design puts all the load at the front, not having a rear support will cause a cantilever effect. I would try to tie the side racks into the top case mount at the rear.

I ran Pelican style cases on my BMW F800GS for awhile, I used this https://cariboucases.com/ company's rack system. I think they sell DIY kits for the bag supports also. 

Make sure you mount the bags far enough back so the front corner does not interfere with your seating position.

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Sidecase frame
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »

Dear Demoni,

Thank you for your insight. Especially regarding the way the load is distributed. Haven't look at it in that way.
I mostly tried to let the load rest on the pegs of the passenger seat.

It has been a while since my post. The cases were finished this weekend and I went for a test drive yesterday without any load.
Ill be trying to slowly add some weight to watch out for the effect of the cantilever.
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F
Pages: [1]