• April 28, 2024, 07:27:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2014 model S FastAce shock rebuild/replacement  (Read 601 times)

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
2014 model S FastAce shock rebuild/replacement
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:09:39 PM »

Hi all,
I had a saddlebag mounting bracket break loose and punch a hole in the reservoir chamber of my FastAce shock on my 2014 model S. No more gas pressure, and dampening obviously doesn't work much anymore.

As a temporary measure I tried out the Wotefusi shock listed in the aftermarket options in the Unofficial Manual, but it is completely unusable as is -- weak spring, almost no dampening, not really adjustable, and it bottoms out riding over the slightest bump in the road (and I'm a skinny guy).

So I need to rebuild my FastAce shock. I can't find any replacement parts for the FastAce shock, so I will try to repair the reservoir chamber and see if I can get it to hold pressure.

Does anyone have specifications for the weight/type/volume of oil  for the stock FastAce shock?
Or the Nitrogen pressure that it uses by default?

Google has failed me.

The needle-type gas fill port annoys me, so I will probably change that to Shrader as well while I'm at it.
2014 Zero 11.4

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2014 model S FastAce shock rebuild/replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:36:29 AM »

That certainly isn't anything that I would tackle.  I have no idea about the FastAce shock, but most other pressurized shocks seem to require nitrogen at 300 or 400 psi pressure, I believe. I am not sure how you would repair a shock's reservoir to deal with that kind of pressure. It might be possible to buy a new FastAce shock somewhere.  Are they still in business and do they have a distributor in your country?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Jondherron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »

I replaced the Fastace rear shock on my 2013 S with a Wilbers. They can be bought from EPM Wilbers in New Jersey or Ted Porters Beemershop in California, just down the road from the Zero factory. I have used Wilbers shocks on my Beemers for years  The Wilbers replacement is longer than the stock Fastace so the bike sits higher and needs a longer kickstand (available from Zero) but it vastly improves the bike's handling and the craftsmanship of the shock is spectacular.

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »

Jon, is that the Wilber’s 640? I’m thinking about the replacement and couldn’t find much of a written review. Apart from the taller ride height, what else do you think about it? Is the rebound adjustments enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »

I am broke these days and I am trying to save money, so a $600 Wilbers shock would be a nice upgrade when my budget allows that. Currently the stock BDA58RC Fastace shock is listed at $350 new.

I don't mind working with high-pressure systems if the repair is possible. I am also looking for anyone with a broken/used FastAce shock that I could use for parts instead of having to rebuild the chamber.

I have contacted FastAce, but they have not responded to me.
2014 Zero 11.4
Pages: [1]