• April 29, 2024, 02:32:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero motorcycles featured on Motorcycles and Misfits episode  (Read 927 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Zero motorcycles featured on Motorcycles and Misfits episode
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »

They asked me to drop in to talk about the secondhand Zero market. I'd not listened before so I'm pleasantly surprised at how I sound and managed to get across the issues involved.

I apologize to the pre-2013 owners for not knowing enough about the bikes! But those are roughly my perceptions and they hopefully set expectations well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:33:03 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:20:53 PM »

They asked me to drop in to talk about the secondhand Zero market. I'd not listened before so I'm pleasantly surprised at how I sound and managed to get across the issues involved.

I apologize to the pre-2013 owners for not knowing enough about the bikes! But those are roughly my perceptions and they hopefully set expectations well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of the second-hand (car) EV market, my newspaper reported the other day that, while new EV sales were down this year (presumably because of cheap gas prices), pre-owned EV sales were some of the best selling used vehicles on the market. Leafs were among the top ten quick selling used vehicle (I think the Prius was number three) due to their relatively very low prices.  So it would appear that EV demand is there, but it looks like prices for new EV's will have to drop substantially to get sales up significantly.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 12:47:50 AM »

Hey BrianTRice,

Just listened to the part of the episode where you talked about the used electric bikes (starts 32:56).
Pretty good stuff.
I'm wondering, is there a way for a prospective buyer to test the remaining capacity and stability of a used battery pack?
Also, any ideas on what the owner of that 2010 Zero could have done to maintain the battery while it was sitting under a cover for 6 months?

Honestly, I'm really concerned about the resale value of my 2016 FXS now. I knew I was going to lose quite a bit as an early adopter (and I'm having a ton of fun) but I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Hoping Zero will support the bike enough to make it worth buying later on.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 03:39:03 AM »

DISCLAIMER: I don't know enough about pre-2013 Zeros to offer any advice; I was available and willing to offer what I understood at the time. I avoided pre-2013 models for many reasons and have no hands-on experience with them.

Please go to that section of the forum for questions about them, and I would appreciate adding information about them onto zeromanual.com that helps others (just be very clear about which year you're documenting because the results might differ!).

Speaking of the second-hand (car) EV market, my newspaper reported the other day that, while new EV sales were down this year (presumably because of cheap gas prices), pre-owned EV sales were some of the best selling used vehicles on the market. Leafs were among the top ten quick selling used vehicle (I think the Prius was number three) due to their relatively very low prices.  So it would appear that EV demand is there, but it looks like prices for new EV's will have to drop substantially to get sales up significantly.

The Leaf has reached the part of the adoption curve where awareness is high and the used market can thrive because of the number of vehicles already sold and supported.

Zero is nowhere near that threshold yet, but the 2013+ line gets it quite a bit closer by making more models share a reasonably supported common base.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]