• April 28, 2024, 07:42:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero FXS rear brake squeal (video)  (Read 2094 times)

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Zero FXS rear brake squeal (video)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »

I saw in a bicycle forum where someone cured his squealing disc brakes by securing the line to the frame with cable ties. Let us know if you manage to get it.

Clay
DoD #2160,6
2015 FX ZF6.5  😁

Clay
DoD #2160,6

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 08:19:25 AM »

I saw in a bicycle forum where someone cured his squealing disc brakes by securing the line to the frame with cable ties. Let us know if you manage to get it.

If that works, that'd be quite a puzzle to solve for an engineer.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »

I scrubbed the disc with soap and also turned the wheel so it would get in between the brake pads (multiple rotations), followed by hosing it down with water and going for a ride.
At first it seemed like the noise went away but the very same day it came back.
There is no change at all.

I decided to film it while riding at low speed. In the following 5 second video, the first second is me coasting and then I press the rear brake and you can hear it start to squeal (whine? howl?). Obviously, you need to have audio to enjoy the experience.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »

That is kind of an odd noise.  The brake squeals that I have heard in the past are more metallic, have a deeper tone and kind of rattly.  I am not sure what to make of that noise.  All I can think that you can do is to try another brand of brake pad.  After-market pads are relative cheap and easy to install.  Perhaps your pad is not fitting into the caliper quite right?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 09:00:31 PM »

This was exactly the type of squeal that I had on my '15 SR with the stock rear pads. Very annoying and quite loud. Swapping the OEM pads for EBC organic pads pretty much eliminated the problem without an obvious adverse effect on braking (if anything, I think it stops a little better now).

I had similar noise in the front, unfortunately, the front pads swap was somewhat less effective in controlling the noise than the rear (although still an improvement over OEM noise levels).
'15 Zero SR

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 06:51:06 AM »

No, I did not try spacers or locktite. The noise is down enough with the EBC pads to not be bothering me. I might put some brake "goop" on the outside of the fronts to see if that helps further.

I am not 100% sure my noise is the same...its more like a clicking or gurgling at low speeds and I'm just feathering the back brake. When you say it goes on longer on the road I think it is the same issue. My dealer just said that as long as the function isn't impaired it should be OK. I'm just worried it isn't one of those things that a stitch in time saves nine might apply.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »

No, I did not try spacers or locktite. The noise is down enough with the EBC pads to not be bothering me. I might put some brake "goop" on the outside of the fronts to see if that helps further.

I am not 100% sure my noise is the same...its more like a clicking or gurgling at low speeds and I'm just feathering the back brake. When you say it goes on longer on the road I think it is the same issue. My dealer just said that as long as the function isn't impaired it should be OK. I'm just worried it isn't one of those things that a stitch in time saves nine might apply.

I wonder if the "anti-rattle" spring that is usually located at the inside top of the caliper and presses down on the brake pads is missing?  That might cause a clicking noise.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 [2]