• April 28, 2024, 11:33:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Diginow Charge Enable Switch Holder 3D Printer Part  (Read 1456 times)

ScootCoupe

• View Profile
Diginow Charge Enable Switch Holder 3D Printer Part
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:05:52 AM »

Hey Guys,

So I just got my Diginow belly pan chargers in and I am working on installing everything. I wanted a bit more of a factory look to the charge enable switch so I modeled up a holder for it.

It takes the place of the stock Calex charger power connector and lets you reuse the rubber plug as well.

It's modeled for my printer so the small holes are a little larger than they need to be if you print it on a more accurate 3D printer but otherwise it should work.

If anyone wants one then I can send them out for whatever postage is.

MrBlc

• View Profile
Re: Diginow Charge Enable Switch Holder 3D Printer Part
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »

Nice!
Thanks for sharing.
I recently received my pack of chargers as well, but my bike is in winter storage atm, so can't start the process for another 2 months (at least)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 01:35:37 AM »

Nice! Can or should I upload this file+photo to the unofficial manual or just link to the thread?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ScootCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 06:17:34 AM »

I figured I would update this thread with some more factory-ish parts if anyone is looking to add chargers to their bikes.

One of the diginow chargers goes to the J1772 port by the tire so that I don't have to carry around adapters everywhere I go.

I used a J1772 inlet from TucsonEV.com and soldered the appropriate wires to the pins myself. If I were to do it again, I would pay him to use his tooling and crimp a small 2 foot section of 12 awg 3 conductor wire to the pins, then put a 4 cavity Deutsch DTP-20 connector on the other end as well as the charger to make removal of the socket from the bike easier. The hydraulic crimpers everyone is familiar with from harbor freight DO NOT WORK on these pins, they are too small and soldering them with a 150w iron was frustrating.

I've heard there is talk about making J1772 pilot based control available from morgan & brandon on these bikes and if that were the case I would have a section of EV cable crimped to the outlet so that the outlet is future proof if and when that is released.

The J1772 holder uses the bolt holes for the passenger foot pegs and I believe I reused the existing bolts. As far as tooling goes to do all of this, you need a jig saw with some metal blades, some drill bits and vice mount press brake like this one, https://www.ebay.com/itm/183766025454, and a 150w soldering iron if you are a masochist.

ScootCoupe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »

For the other side of the bike I wired both pan chargers to 1 Anderson SB75G connector. It makes the ground connection first and breaks it last and is frequently used with fork trucks in industry. The diginow/elcon chargers came with 3x2.5mm^2 conductor wire which is similar to 14awg, with two charger wires crimped into one connector it's a little bigger than the area of a 12awg wire, hence the 10-12awg anderson lugs. If you use the second charge port for only one charger then you need to order the connectors for 14awg wire.

I used the following parts which can be sourced from mouser/digikey

ANDERSON
879-sbs75gblk-bk     qty 1 <<connnector housing
879-1339g3-bk      qty 2 << used for 2 charger power and neutral connection
879-1340g3-bk       qty 1 <<used for 2 charger ground connection

The above part numbers are only for the bike, you would order an additional connector for each power whip you want and the correct size crimp lugs for your wire. The harbor freight hydraulic crimper makes decent crimps on the anderson terminals, just start with a hex die larger than what you need and keep dropping in size until you start to overcrimp the terminal and get a crimp flag on it.

I point people to this website when they ask about how to make high power wire terminations, it's more geared to boats but it is one of the most thorough sites on the internet about crimping.

https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

As far as the mount goes. It was just made out of some 1/8" aluminum plate, which makes it very stout and doesn't move around at all. I glued the provided flat pattern PDF to a piece of aluminum, cut it out with a jig saw, used a center punch to mark the holes, drilled them out, then used the previously referenced vice v-brake to make the bends.

The mount reuses the passenger footpeg bolts as well and I made sure the rear brake resevoir mount clears, hence the weird offsets in the part.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »

Wow! Great job! That looks so clean. Where were you when we were actually making these things? ;)

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:00:57 PM »

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of the bracket you made to mount the charge port by the charge enable switch?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:28:03 PM »

Mod note: moved this topic from the Zero 2013+ forum to Parts, Mods And Hacks. Thanks for contributing, looks excellent!
Pages: [1]