• April 29, 2024, 04:58:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Solar charging your zero  (Read 8016 times)

grmarks

• View Profile
Re: Solar charging your zero
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »

Erasmo, you can't DC charge a zero as the auxiliary charge plug doesn't operate unless the AC plug is energised. And to do that you need an inverter. So why bother with a DC/DC converter as well. There wouldn't be enough power to run the AC charger to its fullest let alone the auxiliary plug.
Actually you can charge on the fast charge port without energizing the AC plug.

Well the auxiliary charge plug doesn't work on my 2015 SR unless the onboard AC charger is on. What I do is plug in the Quiq charger strait to the power point (and turned on) and the onboard charger is plugged into a timer. The Quiq  charger does not charge until the timer turns on and starts the onboard charger, then both start charging.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:35:00 AM by grmarks »

SolarMeter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 06:19:08 AM »

Here's a picture of a solar-to-motorcycle battery charger. I used a heavy standard solar module, but foldable ones would work fine if you needed to carry them with you.
The maximum power point (MPPT) DC-to-DC charger ($29 + shipping) will vary the current out of the solar modules to maximize their power output for the given conditions and charge up the lithium ion batteris on the motorcycle to the maximum voltage that you specify.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 07:16:59 AM »

Erasmo, you can't DC charge a zero as the auxiliary charge plug doesn't operate unless the AC plug is energised. And to do that you need an inverter. So why bother with a DC/DC converter as well. There wouldn't be enough power to run the AC charger to its fullest let alone the auxiliary plug.
Actually you can charge on the fast charge port without energizing the AC plug.

Well the auxiliary charge plug doesn't work on my 2015 SR unless the onboard AC charger is on. What I do is plug in the Quiq charger strait to the power point (and turned on) and the onboard charger is plugged into a timer. The Quiq  charger does not charge until the timer turns on and starts the onboard charger, then both start charging.

I believe if you turn the bike to the on position, then start charging with the aux port, then turn it off, it will work.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »

My bike is indirectly solar powered.  Last year we had solar panels installed on the house.  I used the NYS tax rebate from that installation as the down payment on my Zero this past April.  Since then, it hasn't cost me anything extra to charge the bike overnight; in fact during the summer, even with the central air conditioner running most of the time, I was running a credit with the local utility.  Technically, it isn't costing me ANYTHING to commute back and forth to work now.  :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2]