• April 28, 2024, 03:53:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone else suffering adhesive failure for side reflectors on 2014S?  (Read 1132 times)

dvdt

• View Profile

In the last 2 weeks, I've had an amber retroreflector on the left fork detach as an adhesive failure of the mounting tape, and a combination of adhesive and cohesive failure of the mounting tape for a right side red retroreflector on license plate mount. My 2014 S is most often garaged, but is up to about 9k miles (all in the mild San Jose CA climate). Clearly these are minor issues, but I thought I'd ask others if mounting tape failure is relatively common for the 2014S (I did not have this issue on my 2012 S up to 23k mile trade in). If this mounting tape failure is uncommon, I'd just replace the two, but if more common I'd remove all and re-mount to be most confident in maintaining visibility.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else suffering adhesive failure for side reflectors on 2014S?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:54:45 AM »

I was thinking about removing mine.  They look cheap and childish.  Might as well get some colored handlebar streamers.

Edit - I removed the front fork reflectors on the bike in my photo after it was taken.  It was also more obvious on how to remove.  Now that I know it's held on by tape, I'll probably try a hair dryer and just pull them off.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:57:43 AM by Fivespeed302 »
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »

I was thinking about removing mine.  They look cheap and childish.  Might as well get some colored handlebar streamers.

Edit - I removed the front fork reflectors on the bike in my photo after it was taken.  It was also more obvious on how to remove.  Now that I know it's held on by tape, I'll probably try a hair dryer and just pull them off.
I used a heat gun instead of a blow dryer but that's what I did since I just didn't want them on the bike.  A blow dryer should work fine.  I still had to use a little orange glow to get some remaining residue off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »

I used a heat gun instead of a blow dryer but that's what I did since I just didn't want them on the bike.  A blow dryer should work fine.  I still had to use a little orange glow to get some remaining residue off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cool, will probably do it today.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: [1]