• April 29, 2024, 06:58:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elcon TC HK-J 6600w Charger for Zero Motorcycles  (Read 3758 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Elcon TC HK-J 6600w Charger for Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »

Yes, I had to remove the drop bars to install the chargers there. I was not happy about it, because a different (lower profile) cooling system wouldn't have interfered with the drop bars, and because I wanted to mount a big fairing using the drop bars.

But I think it's a very good place for chargers. It minimizes the cable length to the central routing area, and sits forward of one's feet which keeps the wind off.

You can also attach them to side racks - Happy Trails racks on my bike there were pretty close to suitable for it. I changed my mind about it because I didn't want cables running back there where dirt gets kicked up and it's less easy to guard the cables from moisture.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

motorrad36

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 12:23:20 AM »

How are these rated for handling the elements? Not planning to do any riding in really severe weather, but if these are exposed and it drizzles/rains on the bike during a work day, is there any risk of damaging equipment?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 01:00:12 AM »

How are these rated for handling the elements? Not planning to do any riding in really severe weather, but if these are exposed and it drizzles/rains on the bike during a work day, is there any risk of damaging equipment?

The product page listing in the original post says IP67, which agrees with other outlets and was bragged about by DigiNow when they were producing 3.3kW-unit-based charging systems. So that's a really good rating test for dust (6) and water (7) per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code . This does seem to be the case from ownership reports and in my usage.

However, the 12V and CAN wiring is known to have electrical vulnerabilities, that is that the internal circuitry isn't fully isolated from electrical faults induced from the outside. That means that the cooling fan wires, if shorted, could "brick" the charger, and I've personally seen some heating of CAN wiring on a 5-unit DigiNow system I was using while on the road.

So, there is this electrical sensitivity that is worth minding, and it would be helpful to have a professional vendor with a lot of experience handle that for customers. But if you don't damage the wiring or run complicated setups with failure-prone elements, these chargers are fine for keeping on vehicles. (Especially compared to server power supplies or Eltek Flatpack units with a higher power density that are only designed for controlled, dry, stationary environments.)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 04:24:39 AM »

> > Do you think the drop bars would be in the way of where you mounted? Looks like they probably are.

> Yes, I had to remove the drop bars to install the chargers there...

The drop bars are very solid, and I think will be fine for mounting the chargers.  I'll post the details of the brackets and mounting plate when I get to it.

> ... Happy Trails racks ...

Yes, the happy-trail SU rack is very solid, and I've carried three of the 3.3kw units on one side or distributed left and right with no issues.

https://www.happy-trail.com/su-side-racks.html

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 [2]