• April 29, 2024, 01:12:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Fairing suggestions  (Read 14033 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Fairing suggestions
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »

Wow, the photos were so close in that I confused the scale. Got it.

I'd really like something closer to a real scan or drawing. We need the ability to reproduce work like this.
That's a though one, I reused the existing mounting that came with the fairing and it needed almost no adaptions.

Okay, so the fairing has enough parts that this and the headlight mounting were ready to use, and the most work involved the support bracket to the steering area.

Wow, the photos were so close in that I confused the scale. Got it.

I'd really like something closer to a real scan or drawing. We need the ability to reproduce work like this.

100% agree. I did a bit of research on the fairing but couldn't quite find the right model as there seem to be a lot oft options for the Honda NTV 650 that are all relatively similiar.
The brand is Schurgers, it's from the Netherlands.

So, here's the big question on my mind: is Schurgers open to making and selling a small batch of these frames and brackets again, or supporting derivative work? Since you're in the general area, maybe you can inquire more easily than we in the US can (avoids misunderstandings, etc, and you can impress them with your install).

Personally I am most intrigued by the front fender mod...so you ended up modifying a BMW GS fender?
Yup, that took some effort because the upside down forks, as you can see it is pretty close to the tires. I hope that the next set of more roadish tires will offer some extra space. The bracket for it mounted behind the fork protectors and the fender is on the bracket from above. My bike is in the shop getting the SC fitted but I'll try some pictures when it gets back.

That's interesting, thank you. I've considered how to accomplish this, and might be able to get a local manufacturer to stamp out something quickly that's stiff enough to adapt various fenders.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »

I've contacted Schurgers about making a new line before but with moulding costs that was going to be too expensive to be realistic for >100 pieces.

Are you looking for a more tour or race fairing? Because if its the latter you could try an R1/R6, riders drop those bikes all the time and they are popular for racing so there is a decent trade in after market fairing pieces.

As for the fender, check Ebay or Craigslist, you should be able to pick one up for 20-30 bucks. Once you place it on your wheel it won't be that hard to visualise the mounting needed.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »

Anyway next thing on the list are the mirrors, they create some extra drag and I'm looking if I can transfer them on the fairing. On the inside there is a nice flat surface on which a concave mirror might fit.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »

Anyway next thing on the list are the mirrors, they create some extra drag and I'm looking if I can transfer them on the fairing. On the inside there is a nice flat surface on which a concave mirror might fit.

That's a good thought.

In case it helps, there's a Facebook post about adding these small blindspot mirrors to the inner corner of the OEM mirrors. I'll add them to the wiki, next to my favorite RiderScan blindspot checker:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XV4Z8D6/

There are plenty of mirrors meant to mount onto a fairing surface but they'll still add to drag. I have seen two Zeros now with tail cameras and a waterproof screen for a rear view. Maybe blindspot mirrors plus a camera system would suite you.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:42 PM »

I've contacted Schurgers about making a new line before but with moulding costs that was going to be too expensive to be realistic for >100 pieces.

Thanks for asking them. Does that mean they don't have a mold in a warehouse for this shape? Or that the per-customer use of the mold is still too expensive to justify except at scale. I guess it's the latter.

This is why we don't have fairings widely available for our Zeros yet.

Are you looking for a more tour or race fairing? Because if its the latter you could try an R1/R6, riders drop those bikes all the time and they are popular for racing so there is a decent trade in after market fairing pieces.

My 2016 is turning into a trip bike, but sport touring fairing for my 2013 would be attractive if I can arrange it for less trouble. (I keep hearing that someone has one in the works, so I might keep waiting a bit and use the Parabellum.) For a while, I looked at Hayabusa fairings because they had a nice profile and are somewhat available used.
As for the fender, check Ebay or Craigslist, you should be able to pick one up for 20-30 bucks. Once you place it on your wheel it won't be that hard to visualise the mounting needed.

Yes, that seems about right. I'm hoping there's some widely available fender to use, so that one bracket can be used by many people. Really, it just has to bend easily to fit, and to hold the fender very stiffly.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »

That's a good thought.

In case it helps, there's a Facebook post about adding these small blindspot mirrors to the inner corner of the OEM mirrors. I'll add them to the wiki, next to my favorite RiderScan blindspot checker:

There are plenty of mirrors meant to mount onto a fairing surface but they'll still add to drag. I have seen two Zeros now with tail cameras and a waterproof screen for a rear view. Maybe blindspot mirrors plus a camera system would suite you.
I love those blind spot mirrors, I put them on every bike I had. A small fairing mirror that deflect upwards to create a wake for you arms of handlebar mounted mirror are both also better than the current ones.

A rear view camera is interesting but I don't know if I would get used to that.

Thanks for asking them. Does that mean they don't have a mold in a warehouse for this shape? Or that the per-customer use of the mold is still too expensive to justify except at scale. I guess it's the latter.

This is why we don't have fairings widely available for our Zeros yet.

My 2016 is turning into a trip bike, but sport touring fairing for my 2013 would be attractive if I can arrange it for less trouble. (I keep hearing that someone has one in the works, so I might keep waiting a bit and use the Parabellum.) For a while, I looked at Hayabusa fairings because they had a nice profile and are somewhat available used.

Yes, that seems about right. I'm hoping there's some widely available fender to use, so that one bracket can be used by many people. Really, it just has to bend easily to fit, and to hold the fender very stiffly.
I can ask again but I doubt they have 30 year old moulds lying around. Have you thought about using a Windjammer? Those fairings can be found without much hassle.

When the bike gets back from the SC install I'll try to remove the front fender for you to show.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2017, 03:03:40 AM »

That's a good thought.

I love those blind spot mirrors, I put them on every bike I had. A small fairing mirror that deflect upwards to create a wake for you arms of handlebar mounted mirror are both also better than the current ones.

These blind spot mirrors are better than the small circular ones I use on my V-Strom, but the RiderScan has been even better.

That's a good point about a well-chosen fairing mirror - can you link an example?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2017, 03:08:23 AM »

I can ask again but I doubt they have 30 year old moulds lying around.

Oh! I didn't realize it was that old - I thought mid-90s or so, but I suppose that is already fairly old.

Have you thought about using a Windjammer? Those fairings can be found without much hassle.

Yes, I have more than quite a bit considered that; I'm practically in Vetter's backyard and have spent a good amount of time at his workshop working on a tail. They are pretty heavy for a 2013 and not as helpful as what Schurger put together there, though.

When the bike gets back from the SC install I'll try to remove the front fender for you to show.

Thanks!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

My BMW K75RT had something more or less like that:

You could feel the wind being splitted around you arms, very comfortable. Speaking of, the RT is a favourite bike to customize. Those fairings are also very good although the BMW's are a tad bigger than Zero's.

I can ask again but I doubt they have 30 year old moulds lying around.

Oh! I didn't realize it was that old - I thought mid-90s or so, but I suppose that is already fairly old.

Have you thought about using a Windjammer? Those fairings can be found without much hassle.

Yes, I have more than quite a bit considered that; I'm practically in Vetter's backyard and have spent a good amount of time at his workshop working on a tail. They are pretty heavy for a 2013 and not as helpful as what Schurger put together there, though.

Thanks!
Let me provide you with your existential crisis of the day, the year 2030 is way closer than 2000 nowadays :o

Must be nice to live that close to a legend, what does he think of your latest dustbin nose?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2017, 10:56:31 PM »

Made a quick video of the end result:

I barely rode 500km with it but am still very happy with it.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »

Wow great work Erasmo!! Looks awesome!!  Nice mods to the rack for the Pelican case too!

I was surprised however at the 1 minute mark to see that you were parked at a fast charge station but weren't fast charging while taking the video ;)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2017, 12:31:29 AM »

Made a quick video of the end result:

I barely rode 500km with it but am still very happy with it.

Awesome work!  More construction details, please!

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »

Thanks, too bad the Youtube compression wasn't friendly on my video file so the quality is a bit meh...

I could say that the return trip would only use half my battery but who am I kidding, if I could I would be charging the thing but it still isn't installed properly ::) Maybe in the next video I'll do a bit more on the fast charging troubles...

Currently mounting 1 brick on a piece of plywood so that I can at least chuck it in the case and have 6,6kW charging for trips that are out of range.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2017, 03:18:52 AM »

Erasmo you have how many Diginow chargers total?  Where is your intended mounting location for them?  But I like the idea of using it right away.  I think even just sitting on a towel or sweatshirt you could carry 2 of them easily in the Pelican case.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2017, 03:51:52 AM »

Erasmo you have how many Diginow chargers total?  Where is your intended mounting location for them?  But I like the idea of using it right away.  I think even just sitting on a towel or sweatshirt you could carry 2 of them easily in the Pelican case.
4. At this point I'm thinking panniers to keep the center mass low. I just hooked up a temporally solution with 2 units to get around until that time, I posted it in Superchargers in panniers, but with a twist?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10