• April 29, 2024, 04:26:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Fairing suggestions  (Read 14030 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Fairing suggestions
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »

Went to a motor show and found this nice dustbin:

Also somebody was kind enough to mock up the finished paintjob in Photoshop :):

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:29:37 PM by Erasmo »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »

That's a great paint job mockup; looks like an original accessory. Is that your plan?

That dustbin is really low - like Airtech's Gilera 125, roughly. Their DBL1 is the only one tall enough for a Zero; the DBL2 is still fairly low:
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagefairingsdustbin.htm
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

The mock-up paint job really makes it look seamless with the rest of the bike. I was not sure I liked it before, but with the black upper part it is not as prominent visually as before (I like it better this way, it was a bit too much before).
'15 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:09 PM »

+1 on the paint job mock up, very nice.  Have you figured out how your going to set up the headlight and turn signals?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »

That's a great paint job mockup; looks like an original accessory. Is that your plan?

That dustbin is really low - like Airtech's Gilera 125, roughly. Their DBL1 is the only one tall enough for a Zero; the DBL2 is still fairly low:
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagefairingsdustbin.htm
The mock-up paint job really makes it look seamless with the rest of the bike. I was not sure I liked it before, but with the black upper part it is not as prominent visually as before (I like it better this way, it was a bit too much before).
I have to say I like this scheme pretty much, I will probably go for it.

+1 on the paint job mock up, very nice.  Have you figured out how your going to set up the headlight and turn signals?
For now there is a placeholder round headlight in the fairing, that will be replaced with a sealed led unit later.  Turn signals are included with the fairing, you can see the holes for them on the last page. Those will be upgraded to bright LED's because they have to stand out in a sea of orange.

Now for the rear side:
I was looking for a sturdy top case to mount the super charger in saw the following at the same bike show: http://www.stahlkoffer.com/prices/
Very nice and sturdy stuff, and they told me they want to make a mounting for Zero's:

Now the long term idea was to make a fibreglass tail for storage and a bit of streamlining, but these cases sparked a thought. Had a little chat with the owner and they can make bit more aero front on it, and as you can see the narrow panniers don't stick out very much. The extra carrying capacity is welcome, especially when going on a holiday.

Now here's where it does get long term wacky idea; those cases have the nice square brackets on them where you can throw a bag on them tighten it with string. What if you made a kind of quick release streamlining tail for it that you can mount an dismount when you need it:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:28:46 PM by Erasmo »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Fairing suggestions
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2017, 12:39:15 AM »

I considered this for the tail mount but even the narrowest cases make a considerable frontal area impact on a Zero.

My intent is to use the side racks themselves for tail mounting and have bags stored on the inner side of the rack. Mind, this is with the Happy Trails rack which is similar to what you're looking at, sturdier than OEM.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »

My frontal area is already a bit wider because of the front fairing so here it will matter less... But I agree that using a side rack to mount the tail on is a good idea.

Meanwhile the mountings are starting to take shape:

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »

Looks very professional. I wish I could get off my butt and do something like that.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »

Looks very professional. I wish I could get off my butt and do something like that.
I'm also outsourcing most of the work ;D

This weekend we had the final test fit on the now finished mountings. Those are off to be powder coated and the fairing itself gets some minor adjustments and is almost ready to be painted.

The experience so far, go for it! Even if you aren't technical, mounting it on the crash bar mountings is something that every shop/metal worker can do for you. Most third party fairings for smaller bikes should fit without trouble.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:10 AM »

I'm also outsourcing most of the work ;D

This weekend we had the final test fit on the now finished mountings. Those are off to be powder coated and the fairing itself gets some minor adjustments and is almost ready to be painted.

The experience so far, go for it! Even if you aren't technical, mounting it on the crash bar mountings is something that every shop/metal worker can do for you. Most third party fairings for smaller bikes should fit without trouble.

Agreed. I went for something ambitious and am trying to make some simpler plans to share, but most three-quarter fairings will mount pretty easily with a light amount of work.

The crash guard structure is sturdy enough for nearly all the fairing loads possible, just need to apply appropriate struts to project up and forward especially if the fairing requires supporting a headlamp.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2017, 03:11:54 AM »

When the struts come back from powder coating I'll post some reference photo's without the fairing attached.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »

Stumbled upon an former police bike with quit the interesting tail:

Something like that but maybe a bit higher would be a nice housing for the SC plus a bit of cargo.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »

The ST1100 follows in the line of the Pacific Coast 800 for having ample and smooth rear luggage. The PC800 is affectionately known as the original "tupperware bike". :)

You can probably scrounge up some used parts for it; I've seen some on EBay.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2017, 03:24:42 AM »

Let me just add my voice to the chorus...fantastic work, Erasmo! This bike needs a good fairing more than any other motorcycle does. It looks like the factory did it, except it's a little too good-looking. Give me a good retro motorcycle look any day.
Thank you but apart from finding the right parts most of the honour goes to my panelbeater. He has over 30 years of experience with fairings so instead of fumbling around myself I've outsourced the actual work to him ;) Can't wait until it is finished and painted, I'm going for a two tone orange-black to match the current lines on the bike.

Close but no sigar, it is an older NTV model from a Dutch company called Schurgers that does a lot of fairing work, here it is on a NTV:

Since HawkGT sized fairings fit so well... I wonder if we should all look into using the fairings they put on Hawk GTs for racing...
Depends on your goal with them, there are plenty race fairings for small bikes already. And while the size will work this build also needs some custom struts to keep it together.

Congrats, super job - you should send some images to Zero to see if you can spark some interest on their part. Instead of going with bigger packs for more range this seems to be the answer without the additional weight.

I love the front end on the Vigo although I don't really see the getting 400 miles of range.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »

No way they're getting that range out of that amount of batteries with that fairing.

I'm not that far from the EU HQ so I might pop over if they're interested.

Anyway, stuff 's getting painted now, the project should finally be ready end of this week.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10