• April 27, 2024, 02:58:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29442 times)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2017, 02:32:05 AM »

I plugged it into a 1.4kW EVSE and it pulled the appropriate current...
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:49 AM »

Yeah, both SC versions do a best effort at reading upstream voltage and can be configured what to draw based on that (and specifically dial in the right common power draw for 110V AC). Ideally; I mean, V1 makes a good but imperfect effort but V2 seems much smarter out of the box.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »

Yeah, both SC versions do a best effort at reading upstream voltage and can be configured what to draw based on that (and specifically dial in the right common power draw for 110V AC). Ideally; I mean, V1 makes a good but imperfect effort but V2 seems much smarter out of the box.

thats good to hear
this is important to me as I have a 3kw evse near work that runs a low voltage (198v instead of 208v) but I want the larger supercharger... so if it doesnt watch the current draw, it will click off on me... and then I have to reset it.... ive already tripped it a few times doing a quick charge on my ebike. the second you go overcurrent, it cuts off.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2017, 02:24:31 AM »

thats good to hear
this is important to me as I have a 3kw evse near work that runs a low voltage (198v instead of 208v) but I want the larger supercharger... so if it doesnt watch the current draw, it will click off on me... and then I have to reset it.... ive already tripped it a few times doing a quick charge on my ebike. the second you go overcurrent, it cuts off.

As Brian noted, the first version of the Supercharger did a decent job of this.  In my experience it would occasionally trip the breaker or draw too much current, but most of the time it was plug and play.  I'm encouraged to hear that v2 of the Supercharger may do this better.  It is nice to feel confident just plugging in and going somewhere else while charging instead of feeling like you have to monitor the charging.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2017, 04:08:36 AM »

thats good to hear

Here I'll break ranks a bit and note that SCv1's shipped startup setting of 5kW had to be changed by me and I think a couple of other customers to 3kW because you often need those chargers regularly that had silly "features" like severe voltage droop under load. And bad J signals, of course, which is why there was a startup power setting in the first place. Sigh!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2017, 08:05:17 AM »

Got my diginow today. Remarkable how compact the unit is and well designed cabling. My plan is to mount it in a side case, using an aluminum brace inside the case that will attach to side rack.. Then drill cable holes out the backside of case.  But based on the length of the cabling,  I'm hoping I'll be able to reach to the bike connections from the side case. They look a little short although I havent done a dry fit yet. . I think I've got all the connectors hooked up right, those ofyou all who have one, do I have it hooked up correct?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:39:51 AM by dukecola »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

Got my diginow today. Remarkable how compact the unit is and well designed cabling. My plan is to mount it in a side case, using an aluminum brace inside the case that will attach to side rack.. Then drill cable holes out the backside of case.  But based on the length of the cabling,  I'm hoping I'll be able to reach to the bike connections from the side case. They look a little short although I havent done a dry fit yet. . I think I've got all the connectors hooked up right, those ofyou all who have one, do I have it hooked up correct?

Why is your J1772 inlet assembly so much   (Youtube video of SCv2 connections)

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

Looks correct from what I can tell, but I also noticed J inlet is way shorter than mine.

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »

Yeah all of your cables seem much shorter than mine, especially the J-plug inlet. But it does all look good in how it's connected.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »

Yeah all of your cables seem much shorter than mine, especially the J-plug inlet. But it does all look good in how it's connected.
Yea, I noticed that too. I might not be able to reach the aux port if I decide to use the top case.  need this snow to go away so I can take some rides with it in top case and side case to see which effects handling more. Haven't had a chance to do any dry fitting yet either, it might work as is but if not, I'm sure diginow can make an extension no problem.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

Why is your J1772 inlet assembly so much   (Youtube video of SCv2 connections)
Perhaps because Brandon knew i wasn't going to install it in the power tank area. I guess for me, shorter is better as it's going to be mounted in a case and the inlet will be mounted in the case wall.  I see you got the Tesla adapter, I'm going to have to get one from Brandon before Spring. There are a LOT of Tesla destination chargers in new england.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:56 PM »

Is there anything that you need to do to plug into a Tesla charger? I know there is an adapter but how do you get the station to turn on?

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2017, 07:37:57 AM »

Is there anything that you need to do to plug into a Tesla charger? I know there is an adapter but how do you get the station to turn on?
You can't plug into a Tesla Supercharger network, but they installed "destination" chargers all over at B&B's and motels. You can just plug in at those if you have the adapter.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2017, 07:57:30 AM »

I'll take a wild guess that the Tesla high-powered wall charger "speaks" J1772 protocol.   ...if you believe that.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2017, 02:23:00 AM »

I'll take a wild guess that the Tesla high-powered wall charger "speaks" J1772 protocol.   ...if you believe that.

Yup. The non-supercharger Tesla plugs are just J1772 plugs in a different form factor. Thats why a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter works perfectly. There are also people that cut off the tesla plug and put on a standard J1772 EVSE plug.
now the supercharger implementation uses data on the pilot signal pin, and is somewhat proprietary. Theres no public knowledge of its communication that I know of.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21