• April 27, 2024, 03:33:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29443 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2017, 02:43:26 AM »

Is there anything that you need to do to plug into a Tesla charger? I know there is an adapter but how do you get the station to turn on?

I'll take a wild guess that the Tesla high-powered wall charger "speaks" J1772 protocol.   ...if you believe that.

Yup. The non-supercharger Tesla plugs are just J1772 plugs in a different form factor. Thats why a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter works perfectly. There are also people that cut off the tesla plug and put on a standard J1772 EVSE plug.
now the supercharger implementation uses data on the pilot signal pin, and is somewhat proprietary. Theres no public knowledge of its communication that I know of.

It's more than somewhat proprietary, in case anyone is tempted; it authenticates the owner and vehicle against a database cryptographically. There's some vendor operating in a gray area that can enable this for people, but it's a bit of a dodge as I recall (I can't recall how to find them presently).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »

1C charging in action by Brandon:

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »

Hey Erasmo you know with some brackets and weather proof "compartments" your fairing setup would give you some interesting frontal mounting options.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2017, 03:59:21 AM »

Hey Erasmo you know with some brackets and weather proof "compartments" your fairing setup would give you some interesting frontal mounting options.
Maybe later but for now it will be installed in a top case. And I have to say, the front fairing has large enough 'pockets' to accommodate some small storage but I think the SCV2 is too big for that.

Oh the mennekes inlet is done:

Brandon rightfully coined the term ''mennekes Medusa'' for this one ;D

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2017, 01:51:15 AM »

What is the formula to figure charging times past 80%, for example if a 7.9kw charger charges a 16.3kw pack  from 0-80% in 1:05, how long to finish the other 20%? Also, is the time (from 80-100%) the same for a 6.6kw charger?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2017, 08:02:11 AM »

What is the formula to figure charging times past 80%, for example if a 7.9kw charger charges a 16.3kw pack  from 0-80% in 1:05, how long to finish the other 20%? Also, is the time (from 80-100%) the same for a 6.6kw charger?

The final phase is CV (constant voltage) and power tends to decrease linearly in this phase. So the integral of that is more or less parabolic which means constantly decreasing returns once voltage hits the setting (116V uncompensated). The shortcut mental math would probably be that you're charging at 2/3rds rate.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »

Chargetank cowl arrived for my Super Charger install. Modified the digiNow J1772 inlet with a box cutter knife and some repetitive scoring to remove the "tabs". Zip-tied the modified inlet to the cowl. Also the J1772 inlet assembly is very stiff sealing compound in it for a long length and it doesn't bend to allow for installation.

First 3.3kW digiNow charging session on Sunday 12th March 2017. Very excited to upgrade to 9.9kW as soon as it's ready.

I talked to Brandon / digiNow he was surprised there was no bracket included with my Chargetank cowl. Mine is just zip-tied into place for now. There were no fasteners included with my J1772 inlet assembly.

Is there a bracket? How do you mount a digiNow inlet to a Chargetank cowl?

Pictures:

*edit 20170315* Possibly there is a Zero P/N 12-08047 "Charge Tank Hardware and Inlet Bracket Kit" now waiting to see if I can get one sold to me; Brandon says the inlet bracket kit sounds right. Meanwhile can anyone else confirm?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:39:31 AM by Shadow »

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »

Chargetank cowl arrived for my Super Charger install. Modified the digiNow J1772 inlet with a box cutter knife and some repetitive scoring to remove the "tabs". Zip-tied the modified inlet to the cowl. Also the J1772 inlet assembly is very stiff sealing compound in it for a long length and it doesn't bend to allow for installation.

First 3.3kW digiNow charging session on Sunday 12th March 2017. Very excited to upgrade to 9.9kW as soon as it's ready.

I talked to Brandon / digiNow he was surprised there was no bracket included with my Chargetank cowl. Mine is just zip-tied into place for now. There were no fasteners included with my J1772 inlet assembly.

Is there a bracket? How do you mount a digiNow inlet to a Chargetank cowl?

*edit 20170315* Possibly there is a Zero P/N 12-08047 "Charge Tank Hardware and Inlet Bracket Kit" now waiting to see if I can get one sold to me; Brandon says the inlet bracket kit sounds right. Meanwhile can anyone else confirm?

There isn't a bracket needed.  Just two bolts with a tappered head, two washers, two lock washers and two hex nuts.

Here is a photo of the bolts, washers and nuts sitting on top of my SCv1 with the inlet resting in the right position for mounting to the charge tank plastic.

Slide the inlet in from the bottom of the charge tank like so with the notch side of the inlet facing the rear.  That notch will rest in the notch on the charge tank creating a third pressure point after you use the two bolts through the two holes on the front side of the J-inlet.  The two holes on the rear of the inlet will not be used.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:13:25 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

Ethestral

• Plugged in at the 10kw array inverter
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2017, 05:19:47 AM »

I installed mine with the zero bracket. It makes for a solid attachment for the 1772. It supports the cowl as well through the front two bolts. It's a little difficult to get the entire digi 1772 cabling through the bends. that may be a result of working in a pushing lot after dark in 25 degree weather though.

I did have to adjust the holes on the digi 1772 base flange but the cowl and zero base line up perfectly so I'm not worried about any shifting during use.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2017, 07:56:34 AM »

I installed mine with the zero bracket. It makes for a solid attachment for the 1772. It supports the cowl as well through the front two bolts. It's a little difficult to get the entire digi 1772 cabling through the bends. that may be a result of working in a pushing lot after dark in 25 degree weather though.

I did have to adjust the holes on the digi 1772 base flange but the cowl and zero base line up perfectly so I'm not worried about any shifting during use.

Excellent report, thanks!   Zero P/N 12-08047 "Charge Tank Hardware and Inlet Bracket Kit"  cost is $106 plus tax, confirmed with both Grand Canyon Cycles and Hollywood Electrics.  Harlan (Hollywood Electrics) confirms that it is just a bracket no fasteners or other hardware.  I think I will order it, but wow $100+ for a bracket sounds kind of much, what is it a bent metal punched shape?

Ethestral

• Plugged in at the 10kw array inverter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2017, 11:26:11 PM »

Yes, it's on the spectrum of crazy parts costs. But I like to think of it as $200 less than the cost of the same stamped, drilled, tapped and bent piece of kit with a BMW part number. Zero seems to be all over the place with their parts costs. Neighbor breaks your mirror, $20, need a new dash unit, I could never source $(not insane), cost of stamped metal $100! I should have taken photos during the install but I was cold and grumpy (not related to the diginow).

If you consider making the bracket on your own would probably take at least two hours. With at best the same sturdy, well designed result, likely a slightly rougher install or fitment. It starts to make sense to cry a little and give away money.

In my life build time does have a cost. Maybe you have a workshop with strap steel laying around, then maybe you'd get it down to 45 mins. Maybe it's installed well the first time. After that any shop tech crawling around in there will have a new hiccup to comprehend before moving forward. I find it best to mot make professionals hiccup, always goes bad for me.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »

Zero seems to be all over the place with their parts costs. Neighbor breaks your mirror, $20, need a new dash unit, I could never source $(not insane), cost of stamped metal $100!

It makes sense if you look at the sourcing.
Mirror? 3rd party item purchased in bulk and stocked. cheap.
Dash? 3rd party item, slightly customized. fairly cheap.

bracket? low production stamped in the USA... expensive.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »

Anymore reviews of the DigiNow? 

I'm wondering if all the bugs are worked out and what is the availability of 6.6 kW. 

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »

I'm wondering if all the bugs are worked out and what is the availability of 6.6 kW.
Pretty sure - based on videos and social media postings - the two and three module configurations are good to go, electrically speaking. There's probably some lead time for manufacturing that's holding things up while the thermal management prototypes are fabricated and developed... I don't think I've heard anything to indicate that the three module configuration has gotten further than electrical systems testing, so if you wanted 1C right now it's not all going to mount cleanly under the cowl yet.

Not intending to utterly complicate things, I did confuse the dealership and Brandon briefly with a request to hold out for the three module under-cowl setup. Since my 2016 Fathers Day SCV1 order was converted to a SCV2 two module in deliverable value, and to get things moving I was shipped an one module system, I'm going to buy the third module under-cowl system and take delivery of the next two modules at once. The thermal management I must presume is very different for the two and three module configurations, so it is my hope to wait it out and get 1C charging capability.

There's not much to review on the one module system, you plug it in and it works without any effort. I've got the bracket installed and have some miles on that setup now.

Today I made some updates to the Unofficial Manual wiki that includes some more photos of my initial setup with a Chargetank inlet bracket and chargetank plastics.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »

End of April - beginning of May mine should be installed.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21