• April 27, 2024, 12:02:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29440 times)

Lecram

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »

You got the liquid cooled because of hot climate?

Holland and hot climate. Not really ... :-[

1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »

Just thinking about the CA-HC and I just realized this is yet more crap I am putting on my bike I am going to have to find a location for :/ ... I might have to make another "mod" to the bike before this to better manage accessories.

Vetter front fairing?  I saw Alan Smith's in person Saturday.  Way more rigid than my airtech.  Slightly thicker material, but mostly, I think, because of the 90 degree lip.  Anyway, there's lots and lots of room inside a big fairing, and forward weight gives good aero stability into the wind.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »

Togo you are correct the vetter fairing is pretty ridged for sure.

My turret is mounted with 3/8" aluminum plate followed by the turret and another 3/16" sheet to secure the turret ... it isn't going anywhere.

I took all the extra electronics in the tank area and flipped them into the turret area. So now the main cable goes to the koso which is ziptied to the bars, previously it was floating in the tank area and supported via a rain coat.

The mode switch button was moved to the bars, and several other cables hooking into that bundle were rerouted to the turret from the tank area.

I also strengthened my rain blocker up front. I had previously installed a plexiglass cover up front to block rain / snow for winter a while back and simply forgot about it. But I migrated my DC:DC up there so I had to strengthen it up a bit. I also threw some other items up there and moved the main cables to either side. Need to paint it though.

As it stands now the main cables are left with the MMB and the CCU is on the right ... fueses are up front as well as the flasher . I forget where the reaper dongle is but it to is likely up front.

When I get the chargers in it will all make more sense :D

I might make a better way to secure items behind the battery if needed as I still have my project box, the power supply for it, and several accessories to locate. The project box has to be kind of close to my tank as it houses the antenna for my RFID reader. (this bike doesn't have an ignition / key set)

This is what the bike looked like after removing my rain coat and tank (birds nest isn't behind the battery on my bike but on top of it :D )

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »

Nice photos, Burton. I just received my 2-unit SCv2 and got them mounted on the crash bars with some help from Brandon.

Some notes:
- The mount is provisional but proves that it works fine.
- I removed the side plastic panels.
- The stock out of the box wiring is not of sufficient length to span the battery hence the provisional nature. We should source the right connectors to make extension wiring easy to set up for others.
- The chargers deserve some brackets to align them and give some protection from the elements.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »

2. The bottom picture was in Campbell right of of HWY 880 @ Hamilton.  There is a Kokls there and there is no fee for that charger and it is really close to my house. 

Do they still turn that one off when the store's not open?

PlugShare says available during business ours. 

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »

I happened to meet @ElectricCowboy and was asked to test some prototype ducting for the air-cooled three module under-the-cowl setup. No photos of my install for the moment as they would not reflect the final product. There are a few people now testing this.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2017, 04:29:23 AM »

I happened to meet @ElectricCowboy and was asked to test some prototype ducting for the air-cooled three module under-the-cowl setup. No photos of my install for the moment as they would not reflect the final product. There are a few people now testing this.

newbie question: What are the possible advantages/disadvantages of a liquid cooled system? I'm looking forward to buying a 3-module under-cowl setup.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2017, 04:36:30 AM »

newbie question: What are the possible advantages/disadvantages of a liquid cooled system? I'm looking forward to buying a 3-module under-cowl setup.

Advantages: more efficient heat transfer, especially if you live in hot climate.
Disadvantages: harder to fix on a side of a road, possibly harder to install.

I haven't used liquid cooling system personally, so my opinions are purely theoretical.

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »

Advantages: more efficient heat transfer, especially if you live in hot climate.
Disadvantages: harder to fix on a side of a road, possibly harder to install.

I haven't used liquid cooling system personally, so my opinions are purely theoretical.

Liquid cooling weighs more as well
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2017, 10:47:37 PM »

You got the liquid cooled because of hot climate?

Holland and hot climate. Not really ... :-[
On of the reasons is that you can charge with the top case closed, which is handy during the rain or if I want to grab a bite out of sight while the bike is charging.
Finally found a suitable Peli Case, the Peli Storm IM2620.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »

Three modules are a very tight fit into the under-cowl area. If you had liquid cooling plates and bolt all three units together with two plates as a sandwich, then you can move that heat away to another location on the bike and run your heatsink and fans elsewhere on the bike, with greater flexibility in how large the fans and heatsink may be. It would be very effective for thermal management but adds weight and complexity, and also the potential for boiling or freezing, with concerns about biological growth and leaks. If the pump fails then you have that problem to contend with also.

Anyways you have to deal with a temperature rise in the Zero battery system for charging above 4kW rate, for best longevity this is not allowed to exceed 50degC temperature. Liquid cooling of the SCv2 system may or may not have any measurable effect there.

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:52 AM »

Can you guys tell me what kind of connection comes with the diginow to connect it to 110V? Is it a standard three prong plug? Also when you want to charge to a 240V can you use the old J1772 adapter from Hollywood Electric with the C19/C20 plugs or are they different?

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2017, 06:02:45 AM »

Can you guys tell me what kind of connection comes with the diginow to connect it to 110V? Is it a standard three prong plug? Also when you want to charge to a 240V can you use the old J1772 adapter from Hollywood Electric with the C19/C20 plugs or are they different?
If you buy a single diginow, it comes with a 110v socket. You can charge with J1772 same time the 3.3kw module, and the onboard 1.3kw.  If you get the diginow 6.6, you have to disconnect the 110v adapter to hook in the second 3.3 module. So, to use the onboard you'll need a  J1772 to 110v adapter to run off a second J1772 station.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2017, 06:05:47 AM »

It's just an adapter that has 110V plug on one end and Anderson connector on the other end. That Anderson connector goes into your J plug.

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »

If you buy a single diginow, it comes with a 110v socket. You can charge with J1772 same time the 3.3kw module, and the onboard 1.3kw.  If you get the diginow 6.6, you have to disconnect the 110v adapter to hook in the second 3.3 module. So, to use the onboard you'll need a  J1772 to 110v adapter to run off a second J1772 station.

I thought you could use a single J1772 plug to supply power to two Dignows like. you can with the Elcons. I suppose I'll just get one Diginow when I can afford it. I can sell my J1772 plug from Hollywood Electric along as well. Thanks guys.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21