Makes And Models > Brammo Forum

Any news on a new Victory for 2017?

<< < (2/6) > >>

shayan:
Oh yes, Lightning Motorcycles. It indeed skipped my mind. I really hope they dont reach the same fate as Mission Motors. I really feel sad about Mission Motors, after all the poaching that Apple did, they scrapped their EV program. I think it was the one that really looked futuristic, more futuristic than Brammo Empulse. I am not sure if they ever sold any bikes and if they, whatever happened to them!

Lightning does look great. But so doesn Energica Ego :)

You're right though, maybe they arent DOT approved for whatever reason! Safety concerns because of its speed maybe?

Ranga:
Lightning has soldd at least one production unit a few years ago, but they've been out of the headlines ever since.  I doubt they have a 20k option in the works the way Energica does.

As far as Apple's poaching from Mission, I find it much more likely that some of Mission's employees left them because after 10 years of hype they still didn't have a production model.

shayan:
Does Energica have a 20k model in the works?

Mission did fail to put out a production model but i think they were doing good with their race program. Its really unfortunate on many levels though. It kinda had the potential to be like Tesla. Where a company starts with a model thats targeted for that kind of a niche consumers.

ElectricZen:
Well racing can't be cheap!  One needs to only look at the movie charge to see it is no small venture.  I fear that too many manufacturers, especially in the electric motorcycle industry, feel that they have to show their chops in racing to be taken seriously like the ICE manufacturers have done.

But development of EVs is also an extremely expensive endeavour.  How do you do both and not run out of money?  Then there is the whole production side of things.  Just cause you can make one good race bike doesn't mean you can mass produce and working production model. 

You can't draw parallels between the EV industry and the ICE industry.  Just too fundamentally different!  I see this mistake all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

shayan:
I do think racing matters to a good extent whether its EV or ICE. U can always use racing as an R&D arena (which is what its been used for by many companies). Developing a good firmware and BMS can always be done by testing things out in racing. Why racing matters is because the vehicles go through all sorts of extreme loads on components and drivetrains which cant really be done with road testing. And its how all these function under hard stress levels that determine the quality of the product.
Agreed that not all of the production models will go through high stress in normal day to day conditions. But when there is a situation where it needs to be able to take the loads, it should have the capability to.
Racing is also a medium for showcasing the technology and putting the brand name in the market.

To give the most recent example, AUDI left endurance racing to venture into Formula E because it intends to invest in electric technology and utilize some or good amount of what it learns from racing into production vehicles. So we should definitely not count out racing entirely is my thinking  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version