• April 29, 2024, 09:56:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: EV noise is coming  (Read 795 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
EV noise is coming
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »

According to a very short radio news report I heard this morning "The Obama Administration" will be requiring electric vehicles to make more noise below a speed of 19 mph, forward or reverse.  The sound bite said that 2300 pedestrians were hurt last year due to being run over by quiet electric vehicles.   ???  I can just imagine all electric vehicles sounding like a backup warning beeper on a utility truck when driving slowly on city streets. That ought to improve the quality of life in an urban area.  :o  There was no mention about when this new regulation would become effective.  If it does, and if it applies to motorcycles, I think I will need to buy a new Zero before they are forced to stick a noise-maker on their bikes - although no doubt there will soon be instructions on the internet regarding how to disable the beeper.   ;)

If you are old enough you may recall that motorcycles during the mid-1980's were required to have beepers that beeped with the operation of the signal flashers.  It didn't take long for owners to silence that beeping and after a couple of years the regulation, the beepers, and their sound went the way of square headlights, 85 mph speedometers and huge taillights and turn indicators.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: EV noise is coming
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:29:25 PM »

At speeds below 19 MPH I can stop in about 1 foot, so that's not even a danger zone.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:27 AM »

At speeds below 19 MPH I can stop in about 1 foot, so that's not even a danger zone.
Highly unlikely. The average reaction time of a driver is about 0.5 seconds, at 19mph that is above 4 metres. Let's say you got super rider reflexes and react in half the time you've already travelled 2 meters before you actually start braking.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:47 AM »

According to a very short radio news report I heard this morning "The Obama Administration" will be requiring electric vehicles to make more noise below a speed of 19 mph, forward or reverse.  The sound bite said that 2300 pedestrians were hurt last year due to being run over by quiet electric vehicles.   ???  I can just imagine all electric vehicles sounding like a backup warning beeper on a utility truck when driving slowly on city streets. That ought to improve the quality of life in an urban area.  :o  There was no mention about when this new regulation would become effective.  If it does, and if it applies to motorcycles, I think I will need to buy a new Zero before they are forced to stick a noise-maker on their bikes - although no doubt there will soon be instructions on the internet regarding how to disable the beeper.   ;)

If you are old enough you may recall that motorcycles during the mid-1980's were required to have beepers that beeped with the operation of the signal flashers.  It didn't take long for owners to silence that beeping and after a couple of years the regulation, the beepers, and their sound went the way of square headlights, 85 mph speedometers and huge taillights and turn indicators.   :)

it does not apply to motorcycles.. only 4 wheeled vehicles that weigh under a specific weight.
also, some of the sounds are cool.
check out the audi vid attached to this article.
http://jalopnik.com/feds-your-damn-quiet-hybrid-must-now-make-noise-at-peo-1788957125

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:20:48 AM »

Highly unlikely. The average reaction time of a driver is about 0.5 seconds, at 19mph that is above 4 metres. Let's say you got super rider reflexes and react in half the time you've already travelled 2 meters before you actually start braking.

that half second includes a DRIVER (not rider) not paying attention, moving his big heavy foot off the throttle and onto the brake, and depressing it... reaction time stops when vehicle begins slowing.

compare that to a bike where you're not only more alert, but you only have to twitch your index finger. Its not only a lighter, faster, more accurate limb.. but its already on the lever.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:14 AM »

it does not apply to motorcycles.. only 4 wheeled vehicles that weigh under a specific weight.
also, some of the sounds are cool.
check out the audi vid attached to this article.
http://jalopnik.com/feds-your-damn-quiet-hybrid-must-now-make-noise-at-peo-1788957125

That is interesting.  I wonder why the government exempted two and three-wheel vehicles from the new rule?  Probably because electric motorcycles don't even come up on their rule-making radar.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 06:01:01 AM »

This ruling is not fair nor equitable, the sound requirement should be applied to all vehicles regardless of their engine type. Currently it places undue burden on EV manufacturers and opens the door for lawsuits "That driver's BEEPER was not loud enough and so I am suing the driver and the vehicle manufacturer"

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »

This ruling is not fair nor equitable, the sound requirement should be applied to all vehicles regardless of their engine type. Currently it places undue burden on EV manufacturers and opens the door for lawsuits "That driver's BEEPER was not loud enough and so I am suing the driver and the vehicle manufacturer"

That's simple. Ignore it. People will sue over anything no matter what.
Why not for non evs? They don't need it. Lol.

I think you're whining over nothing.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »

National Federation For the Blind has been calling for these rules since early 2000's.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found a higher rate of pedestrian injuries from collisions EV's and hybrids and in 2010 the law was passed that the NHTSA had to make some rules for vehicle noise for an acknowledged safety issue.

https://www.congress.gov/111/plaws/publ373/PLAW-111publ373.pdf

Considering how little legislation passed in Obama's first term this was clearly bipartisan effort back in 2010.

As a driver and pedestrian with experience around the California School for the Blind (Fremont CA) and the blind in other communities. I'd rather see (or hear) lower maximum sound limits for all vehicles rather than raising the sound of us "silents". As sorting out a batch of vehicle sounds with one loud idling semi pretty much ruins perception of which crossing is what birdcall. I trust the NHTSA probably looked at that. 

So while I may not be thrilled at it, I see the wisdom. I'm less thrilled by the antics of radio shows (and "news" sites) fostering discord against what is a rational change that has been a long time coming. As the "work" and opportunities for feedback ended a couple years ago.

SteveInNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 04:23:57 AM »

The fact of the matter is we don't need dot.gov to save us from ourselves. Those numbers are more than likely skewed because someone who knows someone is a owner/investor of whatever technology/IP that's being forced on the industry. BS as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]