• April 29, 2024, 03:23:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2  (Read 31129 times)

wijnand71

• View Profile
Re: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »

My Quad build for Cama.. Using 4 Eltek FP1800
Size: 9x15x28cm. Every mm is used.
Non Arduino version, just reprogrammed Eltek's to max voltage.

Capable of pumpin' 81A into the Zero  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:35:37 PM by wijnand71 »

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2017, 01:00:10 AM »

Quote from: wijnand71

Very nice Housing !!!

At 9x15x28 cm it is just a fraction bigger than without the housing. Mine is 8.1x14.5x23 cm

81A is around the same current as I see using the Quad FP at the highest current setting.

I've got screenshots showing :
83A at 23% SOC
79A at 63% SOC
76A at 83% SOC

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:02:07 AM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

e-volution

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2017, 01:48:17 AM »

hello Remmie,
i´m new in this forum and I want to use a pack of two FP 2000 HE´s to charge my bike. I have a question to you
about the protection of the FP´s. The schottky diodes placed on each PCB board shall protect the single FP from
voltage peaks in case they are not syncron yet, right ?
How is the pack protected in the case one of the two is failing and the 115 volts come back ? I ask this because
the FP 2000 HE have no internal O-ring protection following the data sheet. Could this be a problem or danger ?
thank you very much and bye  Peter

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:24 AM »

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.
I currently use exact the same setup. 2 xFP2000HE in series. This works really great. In case one of them fails, the total series voltage of 115V is not gonna be reached and therefore no charge will take place. I had this scenario once while I was still building the 3 phase setup and forgot to connect one of the two chargers to mains power. Nothing happened, no charge, no fireworks.
After rewiring the pack it was all good. L1 to onboard, L2 to FP1 and L3 to FP2.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »

Very cool :D

Your solutions seems to be portable. Does it fit in the tank bag (when transporting) and is it 'moisture-proof' (meaning one could use it during heavy rain under a garage or during strong fog)?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:24:34 AM by madcow »

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »

Your solutions seems to be portable. Does it fit in the tank bag (when transporting) and is it 'moisture-proof' (meaning one could use it during heavy rain und a garage or during strong fog)?

It is absolute portable and manageable easily with one hand. Surprisingly small unit with a huge power output.
It isn't fitting in the tank bag unfortunately and consider the front and back to be "open" in the most broad sense of the word.. So any rain or moisture would easily beiing sucked in by the fans. The fans are surprisingly powerfull and drag really a lot of air. The front and back need to be open and free of any leaves, barriers etc on all times.

e-volution

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2017, 04:05:35 AM »

Hello Wijnand71,
thank you very much for your answer. It´s a great help for me so now I can go on building up my
5,3 kw charging solution. For the moment I think its powerful enough for me.
The quad charger you build and posted is a real hot thing I like it.
see you  Peter

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »

The front and back need to be open and free of any leaves, barriers etc on all times.

This just made me think of something that I only assumed...
Do the Elteks have a thermal sensor that will lower or cutoff output if they get too warm?
Lets pretend we didnt notice a stray leaf or wrapper came along and blocked the fan... it would cut back and then off if it was overheating, right?

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »

Do the Elteks have a thermal sensor that will lower or cutoff output if they get too warm?
Lets pretend we didnt notice a stray leaf or wrapper came along and blocked the fan... it would cut back and then off if it was overheating, right?

Sure, the FP's do have a protection for this. The product pdf states:
Max output power de-rates above temp / to 45°C [113°F] / 1000W @ 85°C[185°F]

Although I pushed the chargers to their limits, I did not succeed to activate the protection.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:56 PM »

Sure, the FP's do have a protection for this. The product pdf states:
Max output power de-rates above temp / to 45°C [113°F] / 1000W @ 85°C[185°F]

Although I pushed the chargers to their limits, I did not succeed to activate the protection.
excellent.

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »

!!WARNING!!

To all people using Ciscone's PCB's V1.0 together with CAN signals, please cut the ground trace on the board as in the picture below. Or your CAN interface will die. On the FPside as well as on the Arduino or other CAN driver side.

If appreciable you can re-route this trace to the - of the output. I suggest to leave it and don't connect it to any output to avoid problems.

In my projects I don't use the CAN ground, I use only CAN+ and CAN- for now.

Becourse this PCB was made from an earlier version for the FP2HE, ground was the outside pole there. On the FPs the output polarity is swapped! On the FPs PLUS is on the outside of the PCB.

As mentioned earlier the + and - text on the PCB is wrong and needs to be swapped. I'm working now on a PCB V2 where these errors (and some more improvements) are solved.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:58:26 PM by wijnand71 »

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »

!!WARNING!!

To all people using Ciscone's PCB's V1.0 together with CAN signals, please cut the ground trace on the board as in the picture below. Or your CAN interface will die. On the FPside as well as on the Arduino or other CAN driver side.

You can re-route this trace to the - of the output.

In my projects I don't use the CAN ground, I use only CAN+ and CAN- for now.

Becourse this PCB was made from an earlier version for the FP2HE, ground was the outside pole there. On the FPs the output polarity is swapped! On the FPs PLUS is on the outside of the PCB.

As mentioned earlier the + and - text on the PCB is wrong and needs to be swapped. I'm working now on a PCB V2 where these errors (and some more improvements) are solved.

Why was this tied to the output anyway? It seems like a major hazard considered these may be put in series with other chargers. If anything the neutral input, or PE would be a more sensible ground, as they may be common for several devices. But i don't know how the elteks was made inside..? Stricly speaking i would prefer signal bus ground to be just that- and completely independent of input and output voltages.

Personally i cut one of mine, because of this. The other one is connected, however not in use.

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »

Why was this tied to the output anyway?

I think becaurse this board has its origin at the forum of Endless-Sphere and there the chargers are mainly used to power E-bikes. So no series connection of chargers. Then its fine to have one common ground.
When they design the first board it was originally made for the FP2000 and later on for the FP-S. When adapting to this FP-S style the focus mainly was on size and form I guess.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2017, 03:10:36 AM »

I have also noticed this when realizing the output polarity was reversed. It is somehow logical that the comm' ground is the same as that of the DC output. Remember that the Elteks are designed for server usage, which is 48V with variable power. Therefore they are supposed to be tied in parallel but never in series (although it works). As long as tens of FP's are in //, their CAN busses will have a common GND.

Please note that the CAN bus is NOT floating (no transformers or the like). It is referenced to GND, therefore you should wire the GND to your CAN interface (Arduino, Leonardo or other). It "may" work without GND, but that's not sure, result is unpredictable.

Some years ago, in my job, I a had an issue like that, the tester couldn't communicate via CAN with the device under test. A guy told me "there is no problem with the CAN, both lines are well connected". Yes indeed! But with no GND. I added the GND line and it worked immediately.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »

I have also noticed this when realizing the output polarity was reversed. It is somehow logical that the comm' ground is the same as that of the DC output. Remember that the Elteks are designed for server usage, which is 48V with variable power. Therefore they are supposed to be tied in parallel but never in series (although it works). As long as tens of FP's are in //, their CAN busses will have a common GND.

Please note that the CAN bus is NOT floating (no transformers or the like). It is referenced to GND, therefore you should wire the GND to your CAN interface (Arduino, Leonardo or other). It "may" work without GND, but that's not sure, result is unpredictable.

Some years ago, in my job, I a had an issue like that, the tester couldn't communicate via CAN with the device under test. A guy told me "there is no problem with the CAN, both lines are well connected". Yes indeed! But with no GND. I added the GND line and it worked immediately.

GND can mean different things- the can bus need a common reference point for signaling- but that doesn't have to be connected to power I/O. I think Wijnands answer to my question seems likely. To me this means that the only sensible thing is to provide a common reference between signaling elements that is not connected to power. This means cutting the endkess-sphere board connection and provide a separate connection.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23