• April 29, 2024, 12:09:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2  (Read 31136 times)

Neuer_User

• View Profile
Re: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »

Here is my planned setup : it consists of one Leonardo, one color touchscreen, one spi isolator and one spi module.

Cabling should be rather simple. Coding would include replicating the command to the internal spi to the external spi using the serial of the second elcon.

Now, the only issue I have with this is that I do not have any time at all currently. I have the parts since about one month, but so far only did few experiments with it...

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »

And here is the Elcons setup. On the db9 connector I have 5V and both can buses (both with their individual ground, if needed).

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »

That's exactly the setup I was thinking of, Neuer_User. One 32 bit microcontroller (even if hobbled by the Arduino stuff) should easily be able to handle two can bus controllers.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »

Here I described the type2 mod:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6935.msg56783#msg56783

It's not complicated at all.

Just cut of the last 11 mm of the connector with a hacksaw, and you end up with a perfectly suitable plug for both chassis sockets and cable sockets. That's all there is to it.

See the picture. In the picture i also used a 50 mm drainage pipe end cap to slim down the plug even more.

You can make sure you don't cut off the end of the contacts by using something round like for example a drill bit end or a pencil and put a piece of tape at 11 mm from the end. If you can stick the pencil in every hole and it goes further in than the taped part, you wont hit the pins with the hacksaw.

You will loose the locking feature, but if you absolutely want to retain that you could screw the sawed of part back to the connector and unscrew it for cable sockets.
I did it. And it worked. Wasn't that difficult, really. Tested at a local charging point.
Next week I'm gonna test, if the plug hopefully still works correctly in the socket.

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »

Sure it works!

Since I cutted my plug, I litterally can charge on every station. Also the stations without a female cable are totaly fine.

The only drawback is that after the cutting one losses the locking mechanism function. Personally I never have seen somebody pulling a plug of anybody elses EV. Hope that will stay that way.

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »

Next step could be merging the mennekes plug with the red cee plug, to save space and hazzle when the cord mangles up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »

I have been driving / riding EVs for most of the last decade. Using Public charging stations for about half that time. I have only
had someone unplug my vehicle once. There were two Chargepoint stations, one was not working. I was plugged into the other
with my Focus. I got a text that my Focus had stopped charging. I went to the car and found a kid had removed the J1772 from my
car and plugged into his. I asked what he was doing, he said that he needed to charge. As more EVs come online, there will
unfortunately probably be more of this happening.

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2017, 03:49:55 AM »

Next step could be merging the mennekes plug with the red cee plug, to save space and hazzle when the cord mangles up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm, what exactly do you mean? Merging them into one plug? How should that work?

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 08, 2017, 03:55:55 AM »

Not exactly sure, how the locking mechanism would help, if someone deliberately wants to unplug you? There is always a stop button that can be pushed, which will release the plug. The lock can only help against accidentally pulling the plug while charging.
Sure it works!

Since I cutted my plug, I litterally can charge on every station. Also the stations without a female cable are totaly fine.

The only drawback is that after the cutting one losses the locking mechanism function. Personally I never have seen somebody pulling a plug of anybody elses EV. Hope that will stay that way.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »

The Mennekes plug has a locking lug that is locked in the EVSE socket when charging starts. The J-connector I use has a small hole in the release-button, where I can put a small padlock so the button cannot be pressed. This way both ends of the cable are locked while charging.

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »

The Mennekes plug has a locking lug that is locked in the EVSE socket when charging starts. The J-connector I use has a small hole in the release-button, where I can put a small padlock so the button cannot be pressed. This way both ends of the cable are locked while charging.
Yeah, I was just saying that this is no protection from someone deliberately stopping your charging, as the stations typically (at least those that I saw) have a STOP button, which unlocks the station lock.

The locking only helps against accidential unplugging, I think.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

Well, in the Netherlands at least I'll have to find the first EVSE that has an external stop button... Just a place to hold the key fob to stop/start charging, no emergency stop or anything. Yesterday I visited 3 stations, none had an emergency stop I could see anywhere.

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

Well, in the Netherlands at least I'll have to find the first EVSE that has an external stop button... Just a place to hold the key fob to stop/start charging, no emergency stop or anything. Yesterday I visited 3 stations, none had an emergency stop I could see anywhere.
OK, then that is apparentky very different in Switzerland :D

So far, I (only) visited three charging stations with Mennekes plug. All three of them had a button to start and to stop charging. Two were rather sophisticated stations that also provided 50kW DC. One was extermely simple, just a small box with a size only slightly bigger that the mennekes socket and the one button.

But maybe that is really different in other countries/areas...

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »

In the netherlands I saw them only on High Power stations like FastNed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:20:11 AM by wijnand71 »

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

Ah, that explains. Since I didn't cut the plug (yet) I can't use stations with a provided Mennekes cable...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23