• April 29, 2024, 10:10:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Any news?  (Read 9223 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Any news?
« on: December 10, 2016, 04:56:32 AM »

Has anyone heard any more about the H-D Livewire? My Zero dealer said it has been approved for production but didn't know of any other details.  I had seen posts that said H-D was hiring people with EV backgrounds which would support H-D deciding to go ahead with production.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Re: Any news?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »

I have to think it will not be produced until solid state battery's come out which is still a few years out.
These battery's will significantly increase range, lower charge time, & likely cost less then present battery's.

With this new technology so close to being available, I dought you will see many if any mainstream manufacturers release new EV products.
That said, BMW is in the process of releasing an electric scooter.   

Good things come to those that wait.......
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »

Has anyone heard any more about the H-D Livewire? My Zero dealer said it has been approved for production but didn't know of any other details.  I had seen posts that said H-D was hiring people with EV backgrounds which would support H-D deciding to go ahead with production.
Its a non-starter for them.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:19 PM »

I have to think it will not be produced until solid state battery's come out which is still a few years out.
These battery's will significantly increase range, lower charge time, & likely cost less then present battery's.

With this new technology so close to being available, I dought you will see many if any mainstream manufacturers release new EV products.
That said, BMW is in the process of releasing an electric scooter.   

Good things come to those that wait.......

What do you mean "in the process?"  It has been available in Europe for a couple of years now and just went on sale in California (and soon to the rest of the country).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:06:02 PM »

The fact that it's only 1/50 released in the US defines it as a process in my opinion.

This is a Harley Livewire section & recommend discussion be focused on that product. 

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:14:03 AM »

The last things I heard about Harley was that they plan to produce an electric motorcycle by 2020.  The LiveWire project ended with their European tour last year bringing the 40 demo bikes for test rides. 

They also mentioned something about waiting for more energy-dense batteries, and possibly solid state batteries.  Basically, there is no new word for the past year or two.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »

The fact that it's only 1/50 released in the US defines it as a process in my opinion....

California is way more than 1/50 of the USA on any scale that matters.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »

I moved the statement I made re. BMW here......

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7008.0
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:47:46 AM »

Judging from the search results on Harley's site, and the former Livewire page on Harley's site, I'd say it looks dead in the water for now.
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »

Judging from the search results on Harley's site, and the former Livewire page on Harley's site, I'd say it looks dead in the water for now.

Sounds about right to me.  ;) I hear that H-D sales are down and finances are tight, so it is unlikely they are going to attempt to go electric for some time, unless forced to do so by government regulators.  And I don't see that happening any time soon for electric motorcycles.  Governments are addressing cars, trucks, buses, trains, planes and just about everything else but motorcycles (which everyone seems to agree are too noisy and pollute too much   :o ), when it comes to "pollution-free" travel.  But electric motorcycles just don't appear to be on their radar for now.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 04:14:09 AM »

Harley now saying they'll be launching their electric bike within 18 months:
Probably going to have to lighten it a bit and use less metal if they want to get more than 60 miles out of a charge.
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 05:25:23 AM »

Harley now saying they'll be launching their electric bike within 18 months:
Probably going to have to lighten it a bit and use less metal if they want to get more than 60 miles out of a charge.

I bet it won't be cheap, either.  Plus the "Faithful" will hate it and their dealers will dump on the bike and steer new customers to their IC models.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shocker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:18:25 AM »

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »

It may just be me, but I think I detect the odor of desperation here. Their business has been plummeting, with no sign of it recovering anytime soon, no matter how many "new" ICE models HD foists upon us over the next two years or so.

Harley has always sold image over substance, charging far more for their bikes than equivalently-performing (or even lesser-performing) alternatives, just because they've been able to do it. But with the next generation of potential riders being the high-tech generation, there's less and less interest for the image and cachet HD has been selling all these years. People want more for less money, and HD just isn't able to offer it.

I think HD is trying to re-brand themselves before it's too late. I have to admit the LiveWire is by far the best-looking of any of the electric bike design exercises so far to my eye. But if the performance and price aren't where they need to be, I'll stick with Zero. Zeros aren't at all attractive to my eye, but they're way ahead of anybody else in bang for the buck so far.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 03:42:49 AM »

It may just be me, but I think I detect the odor of desperation here.

Nope. They have their heads rammed so firmly up their own asses that they have no idea the trouble they're in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7