• April 29, 2024, 02:14:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buy FX or FXS?  (Read 874 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Buy FX or FXS?
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »

I was leaning towards FX, but realized the tires have tubes.

I'm assuming the FXS does not have tubes?

If so, what made you decide on which FX model to buy?

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: Buy FX or FXS?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »

I ride almost exclusively on the street, so I bought an FXS.  I'm probably not a useful data point for you because I never even considered the FX.  I was set on getting the SR until I test rode the FXS and loved it.

What is your intended use for the bike?
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:38:48 PM »

If you're planning on riding in the dirt, go FX. You're going to want the chain rather than a belt drive.

If you're staying on the street, get the FXS.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:55:12 AM »

I don't know that I have a real intended use for it, just itching to buy an FX after test riding one.  The main use I can see if throwing in the back of my truck for out of town trips to explore new areas.  Those areas will be mainly paved, but might have some dirt roads in there.

I would also use it just for getaway rides around my area trying to find curvy backroads and such.  There are some unpaved roads around my area, but they are fewer and fewer as the county paves them quickly.  Soon I figure there won't be any unpaved roads within the range of an FX from my house.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 02:11:41 AM »

Sorry for the thread jack but I have a few questions as well.  Riding the FX-S is what got my interest in electric bikes, ended up buying the Alta super moto and sold it, it was a little too raw for me, but fun.  That being said, from what I gather, the FX will wheelie while the FX-S I rode would not, I like wheelies so it is a factor.  Another is the front brake was awesome on the FX-S and from what I'm reading is that the FX front brake is weak.  Tubeless is an advantage for me too, there are some off road'ish tires that can be fitted on the 17" rims so that might work but the added off road capability of the FX is a plus to me.  Basically, if I can get the FX-S to wheelie, I'd be set even if not a great off roader.   Edit:  I just youtubed the FX-S and some kid was doing a demo on a 2019 that in fact would wheelie, for me the FX-S just has more for me, better front brake, tubeless and enough off road capacity. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:38:15 AM by Ireek »

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 04:30:24 AM »

I was in a similar boat except my dealer had a 2018 fx that I could get for under 9k, or a 2016 6.5 fx for ~8k. The FXS was the first electric bike I rode that I fell in love with and I really wanted one, but I do off road from time to time and wanted it to throw in the truck and take on trips for trail riding / general commuting... and the 2018 has a better battery and gearing so I picked up the FX and I love it so far. The front brake sucks, if you manage to do a stoppie on that thing you deserve an award. But I figure its easy to go bigger on the rotor and I still have plans on fabricating a relocation bracket for the front caliper and doing a supermoto conversion so i can get the best of both worlds. Plus the FX wheelies super easy under 35mph, i'm sure with the gearing change the fxs will wheelie pretty easily as well.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »

I don't know that I have a real intended use for it, just itching to buy an FX after test riding one.  The main use I can see if throwing in the back of my truck for out of town trips to explore new areas.  Those areas will be mainly paved, but might have some dirt roads in there.

I would also use it just for getaway rides around my area trying to find curvy backroads and such.  There are some unpaved roads around my area, but they are fewer and fewer as the county paves them quickly.  Soon I figure there won't be any unpaved roads within the range of an FX from my house.

If it was me, I'd get the FXS. I've gone off road with mine through woods and fields. It was OK even with the stock tires. I could have ridden more aggressively on an FX.  Thick mud or sand would be a challenge. Conversely, the FXS will be better in the twisties near your house. Just gotta pick which on is a priority.

As for wheelies, I never wheelied on my 2016 FXS. On my 2018 FXS, I've lifted the front wheel by accident.   I never got up to the balance point, but I never tried. I imagine that someone with experience and that as a goal could do so.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »

Spokes = tubes, always.  The FX has more travel in the suspension as well.  My guess for the smaller rotor is to keep it up higher from trail obstacles and mud so it won't get bent up in the rougher stuff.
Just look at what you "really" want to do with your bike and choose the right horse for the course.
Good luck and either way welcome aboard!

Oh and the MX pure off road bike is back too just to muddy the waters a bit.  :)

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »

I'm old and not really a go hooligan the streets kind of guy, but still I'm leaning more towards the FXS at this point.

Tubeless tires being one of the main reasons.  Plus I have other bikes that do dirt roads well.

The only thing I'll miss with the FX is the ability to do single track, but if I'm being realistic, I don't do that anyway.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:10:02 PM »

Spokes = tubes, always. 
Not always. 

I have two spoked bikes in the garage that are tubeless.

But I see why they'd do tubes in the FX if they are trying to market it to the off road group.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »

Both are awesome, which makes it a hard damn choice, wouldn't it be nice to have both...

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »

FWIW the BOM to convert a FX to a FXS is about $1100, and you would have to manufacture your own front caliper relocation bracket, or buy DS forks. Then you CAN have both!

Pages: [1]