• April 28, 2024, 11:58:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dashboard wishlist  (Read 945 times)

Tony

• View Profile
Dashboard wishlist
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »

I am curious to know what you guys would like to see improved on the dashboard on the Zero bikes.

I feel that although the Zero is a great, modern bike, the old fashioned dashboard makes it seem a bit dated compared to alternatives like Energica Ego. Myself I am a bit torn between wanting some more features here and leaving it simple and rather just attach a smartphone.

For a non attached smartphone approach, it would be nice to see:

- Color LCD screen
- GPS navigation
- Route tracking
- Cruise control
- Link to your smartphone over bluetooth, much like a smartwatch works. Showing you selected notifications and custom info from apps.
- Diagnostics and logs

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Dashboard wishlist
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »

I love the current dashboard, more info is only distracting imho.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »

I wouldn't mind bigger print.  My eyes aren't getting any better.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:49 PM »

This would be a mistake (and this is not the first time this discussion has happened). Zero is a tiny company of maybe 150 people and can't support the R&D, component cost, software cost, and update cost of this yet.

Everyone wants a Tesla screen, but that screen and what goes behind it takes a small army of people to make work affordably at scale.

They should focus on making the phone app richer and easier to work with, because phones update faster than motorcycles or cars, and because a richer data and control link would be all they need to maintain.

Honestly, what's really ironic about this is that the size of the Zero means that you can't even see the display while riding if you're looking straight ahead, so what's the point of a richer screen right now? Zero needs a "full cockpit layout" where the rider can see the screen properly before updating the screen.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »

All I really want is speed, SOC, mode, and once in a while temperature.  Anything else, I'd rather use a bluetooth connected phone.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 04:05:08 AM »

Bigger, sharper, more contrast, color maybe?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:07 AM »

Voltage.  Hello?

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

I agree with Richard - “I wouldn't mind bigger print.  My eyes aren't getting any better.”

Brian - Yep, “They should focus on making the phone app richer and easier to work with...”.  But first, it would be nice if the phone app would work. On my bike, for quite sometime, I’ve been unable to change the custom settings with both an Android or iPhone.   

Voltage on the display - I’m with you Shadow. Didn’t Terry talk about voltage, battery state, and charging  recently on another thread?

My wish is - display color changed to Red vice blue-white.  Why red? It’s not fun when it’s dark, to look down at the display for a quick second and experience night blindness. Marine and aircraft vessels always use red at night. With red, they never experience loss of night vision during the hours of darkness. I consider the blue-white color to be a huge safety issue during darkness.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »

... display color changed to Red vice blue-white.  .... I consider the blue-white color to be a huge safety issue during darkness.
Blue has an effect of keeping the rider awake. I notice this on longer rides.

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »

... display color changed to Red vice blue-white.  .... I consider the blue-white color to be a huge safety issue during darkness.
Blue has an effect of keeping the rider awake. I notice this on longer rides.

Shadow - That's an interesting observation.
I remember right after I acquired the 14 SR, I was on a short straight away during darkness, looked down at the display for a slight moment, went into a turn and almost lost it because of night blindness. I rarely look at the display at night anymore. Maybe there should be a poll. If so, I vote for red.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »

Agree! But I'd much rather see Zero put effort into fixing their app.
My iphone 6 still spins when I attempt to d/l logs. Am guessing fixing the
app would be much less $$ than redesigning the dashboard  -- bigger payoff
for less investment.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »

I'll second that, just a little water in your eyes, and you can't read the odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »

I agree with Richard - “I wouldn't mind bigger print.  My eyes aren't getting any better.”

Brian - Yep, “They should focus on making the phone app richer and easier to work with...”.  But first, it would be nice if the phone app would work. On my bike, for quite sometime, I’ve been unable to change the custom settings with both an Android or iPhone.   

Voltage on the display - I’m with you Shadow. Didn’t Terry talk about voltage, battery state, and charging  recently on another thread?

My wish is - display color changed to Red vice blue-white.  Why red? It’s not fun when it’s dark, to look down at the display for a quick second and experience night blindness. Marine and aircraft vessels always use red at night. With red, they never experience loss of night vision during the hours of darkness. I consider the blue-white color to be a huge safety issue during darkness.
Exactly my experiense. I often cover the display ( with my left hand ) at night due to the light shone to my eyes, ruining my night vision. Could be just a possibility to turn down the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »

I second this. I always wondered why they chose the most energy rich light frequency (blue), rather than the least (red) which is safer at night. It is pretty much common knowledge these days that blue is causing eye fatigue at night. Perhaps they thought red could be more distracting, as our eyes tend to be drawn to this color?

It would be nice with a color LCD panel, so you can adjust this yourself. Many screens these days have the option to adjust the colors dynamically to tone down the blue component when it is dark. An LCD panel would also bring more flexibility so that both the driver and Zero can keep improving the user interface over time without having to change any hardware.
Pages: [1]