• April 28, 2024, 06:39:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pack Heater for those Bikes out in the cold  (Read 1295 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Pack Heater for those Bikes out in the cold
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »

On the note of heated packs, when I'm planning a long ride in the cold I a wrap an electrical blanket around the pack. It probably won't do much but hey, it's something.

For on the road, there's those heated seat covers that run on 12V, you might be able to adapt those. Also the wind chill cools the pack significantly, if you can deflect some of that wind it would make a difference.

I think the wind and moisture deflection is enough based on my tests with neoprene. Active heating adds some complication and might pay off less. We need to work out good measurements and mounting, though.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Low On Cash

• View Profile
Re: Pack Heater for those Bikes out in the cold
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:40 AM »

Seems to me a "Thermal 110 v / 12 volt Jacket" could easily be designed. For those who have to store their bikes out in freezing weather, the heating pad will help prevent cell deterioration and provide additional range.

Running the heater off the bikes pack will actually increase range during cold weather.  On the BMW I3 (electric only) car with a heat pump AC system, there is onsiderably more range by running the AC compressor and pump and to heat coolant to run through the pack to heat it - than not heating the cells at all.

Cell temperature plays an important part in range - at 32 degrees the cell loses around 20% of its range and at temperatures below 0 degrees it can lose up to 60%.  There is research now on an advanced (all weather) Lithium battery that is self-heating at temperatures below zero degrees. It heats without external heating devices. The self-heating mechanism uses a electrochemical interface that creates heat in each cell. They say this can heat the cell in just 30 seconds and only uses 3-5% of cells capacity.
Pages: 1 [2]