• April 29, 2024, 05:13:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Parking brake info question  (Read 3595 times)

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
Parking brake info question
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »

Hi Y'all,

I used the search function here but couldn't get to a thread dedicated to the parking brake questions.
I had my DSR for only a week now.

I carry a nice Velcro strap with me, but I don't want to constantly put pressure on my front brake when parked at a hill. Just out of principle. I know you can do that for 12 years in a row and probably be ok, but I simply don't want to.

Does anybody know where I can buy the optional parking brake that zero has in its manual?
I must have missed it on their website.

Side note of a new owner:
Besides that I feel I live in the year 2030 with this bike from the future. I cannot get over the performance and the sound.
My first and so far only negative observation is, the helmet lock option is really poorly thought out.
Unless someone has a better idea, I'll drill and attach a "regular" helmet lock into my brand new frame as shown on "unofficial zeromanual".
Really, I'll drill into my brand new $17,000 thousand dollar subframe just to get my helmet where it belongs on a bike when parked?

If that's my only complaint, ok....  not too bad. But in the meantime, I feel like an idiot with my helmet nowhere to go in the parking lot.

Note:
My AGV with a really nice, high quality micro ratchet chin strap lock doesn't have double Ds to put the "secure" factory steel lanyard through.

I know, double Ds rip your head off first before giving up, but with me getting on and off the bike about 1,000 times a day, I'll take a helmet possibly flying off my melon over the agony to fiddle D rings all day. It simply gets too old. I've had mostly D rings all my life. I am willing to die for micro ratchet convenience :)

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

Scope

• View Profile
Re: Parking brake info question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »

Get the top case frame mount and latch it there--plenty of attachment points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »

Get the top case frame mount and latch it there--plenty of attachment points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scope,
not sure what you are suggesting. Top case frame mount?

I am looking for the parking brake that zero shows in its user manual.

What am I missing here?

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »

Many of us have a 56 Liter Givi Top case.  It holds 2 full face helmets.  A nice big top case is one of those things I never had till recently.  I used to think I didn't like how it looked.  But after borrowing a bike with one for a few days, I realized what I've been missing.  Able to go grocery shopping, run errands, carry cold weather gear, and of course lock up helmets for you and any girl you might be giving a ride to.  If you don't have a top case, get one!  The only regret I have is riding sportbikes for 20 years without one.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 04:16:03 PM »

@rider7 I think the confusion is because you started adding about the parking brake and then switched to the subject of helmet locks. People are making suggestions about the helmet situation.

Personally, I've never felt a need for a parking brake and wouldn't leave my helmet with the bike. I'd rather wear a rucksack than have a top box. So I'm no help with anything!
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »

I don't see any parking brake mentioned on Zero's website and I don't recall seeing anything about one in my owner's manual either (I have a 2016 Zero S).  Perhaps you'd like something like this?
http://www.aerostich.com/grip-lock.html
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »

OP said he didn't want his front brake constantly engaged.
I distinctly remember this exact topic coming up at some point.
Exactly this, a parking brake being mentioned in the manual.
No one else?

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »

Found it:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5678.msg49893#msg49893

The 2017 Owners Manuals are posted now.

One thing I noticed on page 3.21 is a parking brake lever on the left handle controls. It's described conditionally, and I haven't noticed one in photos or one in person look around at the bike. Keep an eye out for this!

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:58 PM »

Reminds me of the TMax:

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 10:12:05 PM »

You CAN'T damage the front brake by leaving it engaged like that.  It's a needless worry.  MAYBE if you cranked it all the way to the grip, but there isn't any need to apply it THAT hard to keep the bike from rolling.

What Zero SHOULD do, however, is copy the BMW method from their scooters.  Putting the sidestand down automatically engages the parking brake on the rear wheel.  It's impossible to forget to set it, and it is impossible to ride away with it engaged (especially since neither the BMW Scooter nor the Zero will move until the sidestand is disengaged).

I used to own a TMAX before I got the C650GT, and I know it IS possible to forget to disengage the parking brake before trying to ride away.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:15:01 PM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »

I used to own a TMAX before I got the C650GT, and I know it IS possible to forget to disengage the parking brake before trying to ride away.
Been there done that with the Silverwing. 😕

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 10:38:57 PM »

zero sell this accessory for $10...  I have it and it is working fine.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_4&products_id=205&zenid=f8ro8uh5q97dl9apkmti9305k7

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:19:32 PM »

There ya go!  And far cheaper than the one I posted from Aerostich (though not as secure as a theft-deterrent).  However, the Velcro strap the OP mentioned is even cheaper and easier to carry.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:22:21 PM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »

By law - Zero is required to provide a parking brake if there is no method to lock the tire when the engine is off. On all Honda Dual Clutch 6 speed  "Automatic" transmissions such as the NM4 NC700 CTX700 Honda installs a mechanical brake. If a bike brakes loose and starts rolling down an incline and someone gets hurt or killed - I assure you Zero (Or You) will pay the price.

When I bought my 2017 DSR I was informed all 17's had the mechanical brake installed - yet mine did not even though its shown in the manual. My calls to Zero concerning this fell on deaf ears. I have included a page showing the mechanical brake they neglected to install.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:06:32 AM by Low On Cash »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 06:27:41 AM »

Please post a link to this law of which you speak...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2 3 4