• April 29, 2024, 05:23:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Parking brake info question  (Read 3596 times)

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Parking brake info question
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »

Get Lost! It's way over your head!

Funny, you're the one who keeps saying "It's the law," without backing it up. Yet when I point out what the law actually says (and anyone can look it up) you resort to childishness. The funny thing is, many of us agree that there should be a parking brake, but most of us are better at articulating why we think so. I certainly wouldn't mind the additional security, but I won't resort to making up non-existent laws or Doomsday scenarios in which a little motorcycle goes on a rampage, killing innocents and terrorizing the city (instead of simply falling over).

DoD #2160,6
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:48:21 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:06 AM »

Many of us have a 56 Liter Givi Top case.  It holds 2 full face helmets.  A nice big top case is one of those things I never had till recently.  I used to think I didn't like how it looked.  But after borrowing a bike with one for a few days, I realized what I've been missing.  Able to go grocery shopping, run errands, carry cold weather gear, and of course lock up helmets for you and any girl you might be giving a ride to.  If you don't have a top case, get one!  The only regret I have is riding sportbikes for 20 years without one.
Hey Terry, you got a pic? Does that case have a backrest? I got 2 E360 side cases that can also be a top case but they dont have a back rest. GIVI made a backrest but not avail in this hemisphere anywehre.  I'm wanting a bigger case than the stock top case.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:45 AM »

Hey, Low on Cash. Isn't it strange that you're arguing with clay.leihy (who's obviously wrong) on this thread? And you're arguing with Doug S (obviously wrong) on the Tesla thread? With rider7 on another? With myself and BrianTRice about regen firmware?

Wow. So many of us are completely incompetent and argumentative. We clearly all know so little about so many subjects. If only there was another explanation...
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:27 AM »

Hey, Low on Cash. Isn't it strange that you're arguing with clay.leihy (who's obviously wrong) on this thread? And you're arguing with Doug S (obviously wrong) on the Tesla thread? With rider7 on another? With myself and BrianTRice about regen firmware?

Wow. So many of us are completely incompetent and argumentative. We clearly all know so little about so many subjects. If only there was another explanation...

He's a troll. Quit feeding him.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 03:18:57 AM »

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you're probably right.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 03:23:32 AM »

For what it's worth, when I asked about the new OEM parking brake option, my dealer said to check back at the end of January for Zero's updated 2017 catalog to be available. Of course, that is likely just an estimate of availability.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 03:57:26 AM »

Fred I’m not sure how long you've been on Forums but its not uncommon for “Trolls” to de-rail interesting discussion threads which only serve to bring the community down. This is somewhat like you're doing now, to railroad this very thread by bringing this up - But Lets' quickly look at the three threads you reference:

On the Regen thread - Brian was totally misinformed with the protocol of the Zero’s Bluetooth and assumed the link was active to control the bikes processor and regen during the operation of the bike which he was 100% totally incorrect. 

On the E brake thread I offered "Safety" information regarding the new mechanical E brake from Zero and another “Troll” attempted to railroad the thread. It is a law that every licensed motor vehicle must have some type of braking to prevent a roll-away, ICE motorcycles use a compression brake. I provided substantial proof that that all manufactures are indeed complying and I provided images and showing that most automatic bikes and even electric manufactures now have E brakes that in place.

On the Tesla Thread - I simply posted information with regard to Tesla's new 2170 cell and the prospect of the Zero's battery pack becoming more price competitive and this what Doug S reply was;

“Your attempts at sarcasm fall seriously flat when you display your own ignorance by denigrating the intelligence of someone who clearly is very literally a genius”.

It’s clear Doug is clueless and only reads propaganda from the Tesla site and does not have any idea concerning Elon Musk’s thievery and deception and the way he used billions of our tax credits (1.3 Billion from Nevada alone) to build his overpriced 7000 cell lap top battery cars. Even today Musk continues to use tax "Loop Holes" to sell cars direct screwing cities and states and tax payers out of tax monies that all other dealers are required to pay.  This is why there is new laws being drafted right now to totally ban Tesla in all states.

If you have any other mis-information feel free to PM me thanks!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:02:35 AM by Low On Cash »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »

On the Regen thread - Brian was totally misinformed with the protocol of the Zero’s Bluetooth and assumed the link was active to control the bikes processor and regen during the operation of the bike which he was 100% totally incorrect. 

That is about as uncharitable or obtuse a reading of what I said as I can imagine. I can assure you that I never thought that and was reacting to claims you made which tacitly aligned with that.

I think it's fair at minimum to characterize your posts here as antagonistic, without applying any labels or even assuming that you mean your posts to antagonize.

Please try a different approach; we don't appreciate your manner of interaction so far.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 04:19:08 AM »

Doesn't matter, Brian, you can lay proof right out in front of him and he'll only get nastier.

DoD #2160,6

Clay
DoD #2160,6

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:35 AM »

No one asked for examples of motorcycles, or three wheelers that had parking brakes.   (or an emergency brake for that matter)

The ask was for the often referenced law, after being invited to find it ourselves, and use our brains... I still couldn't find it.

I even opened it up to accepting European laws as a possibility.

There is no law, that i can find, which requires a motorcycle to be in gear when parked using the 'cited' compression brake option.
Sure it has the option...  but manual cars too have that option and they are not exempt from the parking brake law.

So skip other distractions...

Motorcycle Parking Brake Law?

And don't feel defensive about being found out as wrong on the internet... it won't prevent you from becoming president.

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »

Doesn't everybody always park with the front wheel higher than the rear? I always either pull straight into the parking spot, or turn around and back into it, depending on which end is higher. Not only does that keep the weight of the bike going rearward on the kickstand, so it's keeping it extended rather than folding it up, it also means whichever way you have to back up, you're doing it downhill rather than uphill.

Another parking gem: When I'm driving around a parking lot, looking for a space to park (on the bike or in the car), I hate it when I get halfway into a spot only to realize there's a motorcycle parked deep in the spot. So unless I'm sharing the spot, I always park "shallow" in the spot, near the entry end, so other drivers can see from a long way away that the spot is occupied.

Doug S,
All agreed to what you are saying.
By the way, I am happy to hear that you are doing the exact same thing I began doing a long time ago.
I always park with my tail right at the same depth as all the other cars so no one has to experience the really annoying scenario you described.
Cool thinking, saves aggravation for car drivers.

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

By the way,

I actually appreciated all your input regarding my parking brake question.
I got enough info out of this and will explore my options when one becomes available.

Thank you for the participation and lively discussion.
Let's all shake hands now and keep this forum "not nasty" as so many other forums are drowning in this style.
I think we of all riders should all get along without too much egos flairing up.
It doesn't matter who is wrong or right, this here is to share and learn from each other and not to bash each other's heads in. 
If I want that, I can turn on the news and watch politicians.

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »

Low On Cash would be a lot more entertaining and tolerable as a video-logger. EMF is just the wrong venue for that kind of energy.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

Looking at that "Tesla sales location" map posted by Low on Cash above it looks to me like the green states ought to be colored blue.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:29 AM »

Looking at that "Tesla sales location" map posted by Low on Cash above it looks to me like the green states ought to be colored blue.   ;)

It's not at all surprising. The reason the map is the way it is, is because the "red" states refuse to allow Tesla to do business the way they want to -- direct, without independent dealerships. Tesla believes the independent car dealerships just add layers of profit-seekers between the manufacturer and the customer, drive up the cost to the customer, and don't really add any benefit to the relationship. I happen to agree with them....I can't say I've ever had a pleasant experience at a car dealership in my life. Tesla's model ensures that every customer pays the same price, gets the same product, and receives the same service, whoever they are and wherever they purchase.

It's not a perfect plan; in particular, there are large parts of the country that aren't very close to a Tesla shop, so it's hard providing sales and service in those areas. But Tesla is trying very hard, and they're making progress. If the "red" states would relent and allow Tesla to put showrooms in their areas, it would go a long way to helping the people in those states access Tesla sales and service more easily...but the dealership conglomerates hold too much power in those states, so customers are relegated to transporting their vehicles hundreds of miles to get any service at all. Fortunately Tesla is also very good about fetching inoperable vehicles and providing door-to-door service transportation.

Currently, in most of the states colored red on the map, Tesla has "galleries" rather than "showrooms". They're not legally allowed to sell product, allow test drives or even discuss pricing, but you can go look, discuss the cars and the available options with knowledgeable people (docents?), and of course you can then go home and buy your car online, with Tesla delivering it to you when it's ready.

So the map is underwhelming, but the "red" states have only themselves to blame for having no Tesla dealers. It's not at all as was presented, as if Tesla only wants to sell to liberals in "blue" states. They want to sell to customers wherever they are, and whatever their political beliefs may be.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4