• April 29, 2024, 09:11:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Parking brake info question  (Read 3597 times)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
Re: Parking brake info question
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2017, 01:01:43 AM »

By the way,

I actually appreciated all your input regarding my parking brake question.
I got enough info out of this and will explore my options when one becomes available.

Thank you for the participation and lively discussion.
Let's all shake hands now and keep this forum "not nasty" as so many other forums are drowning in this style.
I think we of all riders should all get along without too much egos flairing up.
It doesn't matter who is wrong or right, this here is to share and learn from each other and not to bash each other's heads in. 
If I want that, I can turn on the news and watch politicians.

Rider7

Thanks for the reply - I'm certain all new models will be outfitted with the mechanical e brake that Zero shows in the manual. It is a much needed safety item that will certainly prevent accidents and injury's. I did purchase one of the $10 Zero handle bar brakes and it works fairly well, however I would much prefer a mechanical brake as the slip on is a pain to use each time you stop.

I would also like to mention - should your bike brake away / roll and injure someone - Even though Zero would be the one at blame - the owner will charged and bare the responsibility and liability with the accident since he didn't secure the bike properly when he left it. 

Keep in mind guys it takes very little forward pressure (decline) to roll a Zero off a stand - In addition, I've seen bikes roll off backwards and drag the stand on a Roll Away so use caution, a 500 lb bike hauling ass down the street is very dangerous.

While off topic, here's an article I wanted to share with Doug from the LA Times about the way Tesla or should I say; Elon's genius ways to screw American tax payers.

Enjoy - Mike

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:40 AM »

FWIW, I've owned my 2016 S since last April and I've put 7,500 miles on it.  I've parked it on all kinds of surfaces and even (stupidly) pointing downhill when I didn't have many options.  It has NEVER rolled off the sidestand.  I can't speak for everyone here but when I first got the bike it was a concern of mine but multiple people here assured me it wouldn't be an issue and it turns out they were right. 

The sidestand is surprisingly sturdy for such a relatively lightweight motorcycle, the spring that holds it in place seems over-engineered and (as many have pointed out) the bike leans over pretty far when on the stand.  All of that adds up to what SHOULD be sufficient weight and resistance on the stand to keep it from rolling off.

As always, YMMV.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2017, 04:35:05 AM »

I've never heard of a bike in the UK with a parking brake, and personally never felt a need for one either. A disc lock sounds like a reasonable substitute and with a small amount of security thrown into the bargain.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 12:34:46 AM »

Electric Parking brake for electric vehicles... Patented... by Brammo (and not one of Wismann's)

https://www.google.com/patents/US9050905?

This one electronically locks the wheel by binding the motor.

The simplicity of "fitting a parking brake" becomes complicated when you actually have to secure rights to the technology.

(I was reading about a Brammo patent for "ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE WITH ADJUSTABLE SQUAT RATIO ISOLATED FROM VEHICLE GEOMETRY" and this parking brake was in the margins.)
Same with traction control...Owned by Honda  https://www.google.com/patents/CN102343905A
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:57:13 AM by ctrlburn »

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »

Interesting concept thanks for link..... ctrlburn
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 04:47:48 AM »

Zero now lists the new parking brake accessory that uses a paddle to directly lock an add-on caliper to the rear disc:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Parking_Brake
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_4&products_id=243
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 06:44:12 AM »

Zero now lists the new parking brake accessory that uses a paddle to directly lock an add-on caliper to the rear disc:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Parking_Brake
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_4&products_id=243

For $600, I think I will stick with my Velcro strap around the front brake lever when I need a parking brake.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 07:11:42 AM »

For $600, I think I will stick with my Velcro strap around the front brake lever when I need a parking brake.  ;)
Just buy the ten dollar version from Zero.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »

I have two $10 versions on both left and right sides. I "park" on some really steep hills sometimes, like a trail on the side of a mountain that I didn't quite make it up. I have them tied to strings so they are handy when needed and don't fall off.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]