• April 28, 2024, 03:37:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BMW C Evolution scooter introduction  (Read 4654 times)

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
Re: BMW C Evolution scooter introduction
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 11:21:29 PM »

Yeah, after the disappointment of not getting the Zero, and after having review the Beemer, I got very attached to it. Only "issue" is the rock hard saddle, but since it's not a bike to go long distances, it's not really an issue.

Despite the 250 kg weight, it feels very light in the curves. Pick up speed is very, very good. In Eco Pro mode, it leaves from standstill like a 125 cc. But in Dynamic mode, with Traction Control, it's like a 5-600 cc....

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 04:49:18 AM »

I see that for 2015 the C Evolution will be offered with an optional "comfort" seat.  You obviously didn't specify that you wanted a comfortable seat, Mike.   ;)

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/pressDetail.html?title=bmw-motorrad-model-facelift-measures-for-model-year-2015-special-model-k-1300-s-motorsport&outputChannelId=6&id=T0185704EN&left_menu_item=node__6629

Every BMW that I have owned during the past 20 years had a hard seat supplied from the factory and needed an aftermarket seat if you wanted to ride for more than a couple of hours at a time.  Oddly, BMW does offer extra-cost "comfort" seats as an after-sales accessory.  I always wondered why they just didn't install the comfort seat on all of their models right from the factory.   ::)  I could think of a couple of reasons, but if you can't say anything nice........
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »

yeah, I know, I know. But since teh max range is 100 clicks, getting a comfy seat isn't really an issue. The most I'll be doing is 30 km, and my behind will be able to take that. Once battery tech increases, then it'll become a whole different kettle of fish.

And yes, all my BMWs have had very hard seats, but none as hard as my KTM. That really was made out of granite....

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »

Mike has just published a nice summary of his experiences with his C Evolution after riding the scooter for 500 km:

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/review-bmw-c-evolution-electric-scooter---1st-500-kms.htm
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 02:26:05 AM »

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 04:22:21 AM »

Considered making a new thread or posting in this one, decided to post in this thread (sorry if I'm wrong). Do you guys think the 2017 will get the same battery upgrade as the i3? Maybe the 11kW charger that the i3 is getting too?
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 09:17:33 AM »

Hi Hansi,

You've resurrected an old topic, which is often a good thing to do. Lots of interesting reading that many might have missed the first time round.  So from me, thanks!

More range without adding too much weight is always a good thing. With the improvements in battery technology over the last three years, I'd hope they can up the range to at least 130km or so. In the U.K. it would increase the potential market for London commuters to outside the M25. That's a lot more people who earn lots of money and like to live in the countryside. I see quite a few maxi scooters on my commute.  I'm not a big scooter fan, but if I'm honest, a maxi scooter would probably be more practical for my daily commute. That's at least 95% of my time on two wheels. I sometimes miss the extra storage and weather protection that a maxi scooter would give me. However, I wouldn't be able to take it off road at weekends like I've been doing quite a lot with my Zero DS.

As for the charger, the little I've seen of car chargers on YouTube videos has shown me that they are much bigger and heavier than bike chargers. Unless they can repackage the i3 charger somehow, I doubt they'll put it in their scooter. It would be nice though!

Most of all, they need to bring the price of that scooter down considerably to make sales. I'd like BMW to take a leaf out of Tesla's book and provide a more genuine mass market offering. A maxi scooter for the minions, not just the managers! I'm sure they'll never stoop low enough to cater for the pizza delivery riders but I'd like to see more people on a good quality machine.

I haven't looked into the market for Chinese electric scooters available in the UK. I hear they're very popular in China and relatively cheap. If they don't spontaneously combust, they may be worth a look.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »

Considered making a new thread or posting in this one, decided to post in this thread (sorry if I'm wrong). Do you guys think the 2017 will get the same battery upgrade as the i3? Maybe the 11kW charger that the i3 is getting too?

Since the "C" is made in the factory where they make the i3, using many of the components, including the batteries, I will not be surprised if at Intermot BMW announce increased performance and range. Also, since the scoot is a hot selling bike in several countries; it makes sense, despite the hefty price tag.

As for purchase price... it's why BMW offer a very interesting lease option here in France. And mine expires next year, just in time for an upgraded model.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »

It's good to hear that they are selling well Mike.

I know that creative finance packages make expensive cars and bikes affordable for many on a monthly basis and that is to be applauded for lots of reasons. I've been tempted by them myself.  My objection to them is that in the long term, they are the most expensive way to own a vehicle.  Essentially, all these Personal Contract Plans, leasing deals and so on are structured so that the customer is paying the depreciation when it is highest, for the first three years. At the end, people have very little or no equity in the vehicle. They are forced to pay a substantial balloon payment to keep the vehicle, or sign up to another three year contract. Most do the latter because the lure of a new vehicle is powerful and they don't have the money. It locks them into a cycle of paying top dollar for the privilege of owning a new vehicle every three years.

That's why I think they're evil.  Just like a lot of financial products.

Are you still happy with your current scooter Mike? If you had bought it outright, would you be thinking of buying a new one next year? I know we're talking EV's and things are progressing at a fast pace, which makes it a bit different. However, if the bike is still serving it's purpose, I'm sure there must be at least another five years of use left in it.

I wish I had the discipline to save up and pay cash for everything, but I don't. I do go for vehicle loans though, so at least I own the thing at the end and can enjoy a few years of much cheaper motoring once the payments stop. In theory.  Difficult in the bike world though as we like to change bikes often.

I'd love to know others' thoughts on this, even though I may be veering off topic a little.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 07:18:28 PM »

Actually, I'm paying €250 per month for 3 years, which doesn't even cover the cost of the bike. That's €9000 for a 15000 bike. So I guess BMW are anticipating a good resale value after the 3 years. Or they are using it for promotional reasons. Either way, it's a great deal.

I was buying a Zero (but at a press price, so real cheap), but felt a nagging concern since it's technology that growing very rapidly making the bike obsolete after 3 years. So it's leasing for me for at least 10 more years.

And yes, I'm very happy with the scoot. My first scoot ever, but it works out great in the city. Once I get more range, I'll get rid of the ICE bike.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »

I picked up a copy of the Winter issue of the BMW Motorcycle Magazine (sort of a mouthpiece for BMW in the U.S.) at Barnes and Noble yesterday.  The magazine contained a nice photogenic article (starting on page 22) on the BMW C Evolution scooter that will be introduced to the U.S. market (and just about everywhere else in the World) during 2017. 

While the article didn't contain anything new that hasn't already been available from BMW propaganda online, it did contain a couple of neat photos of the chassis and belt drive and the instrument display. Note that the entire scooter chassis is built around the battery box and that holds the entire scooter together.  I guess owners won't be opening up the battery box very often to see what is in there. 

No U.S. price has been released yet, but the author of the article estimates that the price for the scooter will be around $15,000 USD.  However, that thing sure looks expensive to build to me and I bet that BMW will be loosing money on everyone that the sell.

Only the new "high power" version with a new 94 Ah battery, projected 100-mile range and an electronically-limited top speed of 80 mph will be sold in the U.S.  Recharge time is 4 to 5 hours.  The motor's power has been increased from 15 to 26 hp, continuous and is now 48 hp, peak. The scooter will have ABS and "Torque Control Assist" (traction control), along with a reverse feature. A new charging cable is provided that has a thinner diameter than the previous cable and can be plugged into a standard home electrical outlet. The charging cable is stored in the right glove box located at the front of the scooter and plugged into the another compartment located at the left side of the leg-shield. There is no mention of the scooter's weight, but I bet it is not exactly light.  Attached is a photo of the battery box and chassis.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »

Here is a photo of a picture of the scooter's dash display.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:31 PM »

The other thing to point out is that the bike is built in the Berlin BMW i3/i8 car factory, since the battery comes from the i3.

And the weight of mine, though the "older" model, I think is 250 kgs.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:44 AM »

It is a neat thing, but for that price the lack of CCS support is strange. If it would support CCS I would seriously consider one.
Pages: 1 [2]