• April 29, 2024, 07:50:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Zero the only production electric motorcycle that is sold in the US?  (Read 636 times)

Snafuperman

• View Profile

Am I correct in saying that Zero is the sole electric motorcycle sold in the US?  In the world?  I've been searching and cannot find others?  I did see that Victory HAD one but no longer does?  I was also amazed that the big four Japanese bikes (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki) have not entered the market.  The Zero SR looks like an exciting ride to me.  What's up?  Is the market still that small?  I know they are a bit expensive, but DAMN, they are cool looking and sounding.  Can't wait to test ride one -- that will be soon.  Spoke with the local ZERO dealer tonight and he said, "Come on down!"

MrDude_1

• View Profile

its the only somewhat-large scale mass produced quality one right now, yes.

there are mass produced chinese electric motorcycles, but they have their own issues...
there are tons of mass produced scooters/mopeds made by a few brands.

and there are millions of electric bicycles.... most of them in china.

Snafuperman

• View Profile

Thanks Dude.  Yeah, I've also been looking at electric bicycles and the ELF three-wheeler.

Erasmo

• View Profile

Aren't the Volta and Energica sold in the US?

Richard230

• View Profile

Aren't the Volta and Energica sold in the US?

I don't know about Volta, but Energica has just started to sell motorcycles in the U.S.  However, they are twice as expensive as Zeros and they have not had much time to set up a distribution or dealership network yet. But the real issue for Energica is that while they have a premium product with great features, their prices are very high which will limit their impact on the general EV market.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Snafuperman

• View Profile

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/
$39,000 retail.  Not quite ready for the average Joe.  And I thought $16,000 was a bit steep.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:08:42 AM by Snafuperman »

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile

Not really a "true motorcycle", the BMW C-Evolution is a premium electric scooter, which has some common DNA with motorcycles (power, acceleration, chassis) and can seduce those who want more comfortable riding.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Snafuperman

• View Profile

Not really a "true motorcycle", the BMW C-Evolution is a premium electric scooter, which has some common DNA with motorcycles (power, acceleration, chassis) and can seduce those who want more comfortable riding.
Thanks hubert. 

NEW2elec

• View Profile

On the west coast you also have Alta motors which is more on the dirt bike side of things with some street models, and if you'd like to roll the dice there is the Victory TT which are selling very cheap now but may or may not be covered by Polaris in the future.
Good Luck.

ATM

• View Profile
Re: Is Zero the only production electric motorcycle that is sold in the US?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 02:01:15 AM »

I haven't heard anything about the KTM e-ride recently.  I thought that was coming to the US?
2013 Zero XU

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »

Zero is basically the main act in town.  Energica sells their premium bikes in San Fran, and Alta motors just started delivering pre-orders. 

Here is the buyer's guide from last year.  (The new one should be published soon.)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101556_2016-electric-motorcycle-buyers-guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »

Thanks to all for the additional info.   Interesting stuff . . . .

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 01:19:45 AM »

Thanks Dude.  Yeah, I've also been looking at electric bicycles and the ELF three-wheeler.

if an electric bicycle fits your transportation needs, it might be a better option for you than a motorcycle.
I commute by ebike regularly because:
I can cruise on by past stopped traffic in the bicycle lane.
I can filter to the front of every intersection.
I can legally ride on the side of the road around cars, or on the sidewalk if needed.

For me, this means I am never stopped by traffic... however there is almost zero bicycle law enforcement here, and I have bicycle lanes most of the way, and my bike goes 45mph... so I can match traffic rather than have it blast me.  Depending on where you live, this may be OK, or this may not be possible at all.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 01:24:37 AM »

MrDude,

Thanks -- good points.  I'm keeping my options open for now.  I'm retired so there is no more commuting but  I would like to just put-put around in the mid-morning when there is less traffic.
Pages: [1]