• April 29, 2024, 02:19:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 2016 FXS Lowered Ride Height Ikon Shock, Dual Use Tires, Drop Bars, Hand Guards,  (Read 6210 times)

Sparkymoto

• View Profile

I have a 2016 FXS  which I have been adjusting to my riding needs.  In my case this means dual use with combined riding in grass/wood lands and asphalt.

Understand this is not a toy, but it is a working piece of equipment used daily in running a ranch. As such it is a tool used for many task and that meant I had to touch down flat footed any time and any place I stopped.  This was my need and the reason for the mods.

Tires have been changed to Conti Escapes.
Forks raised by 2 inches in the triple clamps.
Rear shock is one of two brands.  The first is a Ikon "special" made for me and a spring for my weight.  https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/3610-zero-low-shock-absorber
The second shock is the original Showa  heavily modified with a new spring sleeve machined and installed after a 2 inch lowering kit.

JB Covington, Vendor Rear OEM Shock Mods. Reports: 
"Crude math suggest the stock spring is around 7.5kg/mm

The stock spring / shock design features a large of amount of preload on the spring, even in the "softest" preload setting.

The custom shock spacer features 3mm of preload on the stock spring with the shortened shock.

The 40mm Showa Shock with 14m shock body features a low speed compression adjuster that functions on rod charge, a rebound adjuster that functions off piston bypass bleed, and frictionless nitrogen bladder design."

The seat is thinned down to reduce the ride height by 2 inchs.

As to the original suspension design of the FXS, It could be better.   Understand that I have raced GP, MX, Cow Trails, Woods and some of that riding was on an OSSA Pioneer,  Cushman, Kawasakis and others.

I do not understand why ZERO did not hire a suspension designer that comprehended the term SUSPENSION.  As stock the 8 plus inches of rear travel on a 290 lb Bike that comes with a spring so stiff that a rider of 160 pounds cannot adjust sag is a waste of air.

The ride height/seat height is currently at 30 inches, the rear sag is at 1/2 of an inch and a easy bounce of my rear will move it down a bit more.

After 9 months I am now pleasantly surprised each time I ride this FXS and I would be happy to talk to ZERO on what  real bikes should do.

The FXS is a Great Bike and needs some simple intelligent changes to provide a more enjoyable ride.

Pictures, Specs, Parts Providers and other information if any want to take a look at these changes.

Vendors

Seat Mods

jgeraurd@yahoo.com
Josh Geraud
MX Seat Pro
3502 Temescal Ave
NORCO, CA  92860
US

Rear OEM Shock Mods

jbi@ridejbi.com
JB Covington
RideJBI.com
@RideJBI

IKON Aftermarket Shock

Nils Menten
Ikon Shocks USA
nils@ikonshocksusa.com
www.ikonshocksusa.com

For those who would like to learn more about suspension and real world handling then read these books.

Motorbike Suspensions: Modern Design and Optimisation
Dario Croccolo, Massimiliano de Agostinis
"Book Description: Language: English . Although they may look like simple components, the motorbike fork plays a critical role in the overall dynamic behaviour of motorcycles. It must provide appropriate stiffness characteristics, damping capabilities and the lowest sliding friction values in order to guarantee as much performance, safety and comfort as possible to the rider. Front Motorbike Suspensions addresses the fundamental aspects of the structural design of a motorbike fork. Utilizing the authors many years of experience in this industrial research topic, Motorbike Suspensions provides useful design rules and applied mechanical design theories to optimize the shape of motorbike suspension. Overall structural considerations are explored alongside specific aspects including how bolted and adhesive bonded joints design can be applied to these components. RD designers in the motorcycle industry who would like to improve their knowledge about the structural design of motorbike suspension will find Motorbike Suspension a concise and coherent guide to this specific feature. Whereas, undergraduates and graduates in industrial engineering matters may use this as a case study for an interesting application of the theories learned from machine design courses."

Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible
Thede, Paul; Parks, Lee
Based on Paul Thede’s wildly popular Race Tech Suspension Seminars taught around the world, this step-by-step guide shows anyone how to make their bike, or their kid’s, handle like a pro’s. The three forces of suspension; testing procedures; even the black art of chassis geometry: Thede explains it all. The book provides step-by-step photos of suspension disassembly and assembly as well as detailed troubleshooting guides for dirt, street, and supermoto–promising a solution to virtually any handling problem.

About the Authors:
Paul Thede is widely considered the ultimate motorcycle suspension guru. He is the owner and chief engineer of Race Tech, the largest motorcycle suspension modifier in the world.

Lee Parks is the author of the best-selling riding skills book Total Control. Based on his internationally renowned Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics, Total Control is considered by many to be the riding skills bible. Parks formerly edited Motorcycle Consumer News, Motorcycle Product News, and Motorcyclist magazines. He is also the owner of Lee Parks Design, a motorcycle glove and apparel manufacturer in Apple Valley, CA. leeparksdesign.com 

racetech.com

High Performance Riding: Street Techniques for Total Control
Lee Parks
"Note from Sparkymoto:  A couple of chapters are about suspension."
Synopsis: Today's super high-performance bikes are the most potent vehicles ever sold to the public and they demand advanced riding skills. This is the perfect book for riders who want to take their street riding skills to a higher level. Total Control explains the ins and outs of high-performance street riding. Lee Parks, one of the most accomplished riders, racers, authors and instructors in the world, helps riders master the awe-inspiring performance potential of modern motorcycles.This book gives riders everything they need to develop the techniques and survival skills necessary to become a proficient, accomplished, and safer street rider. High quality photos, detailed instructions, and professional diagrams highlight the intricacies and proper techniques of street riding. Readers will come away with a better understanding of everything from braking and cornering to proper throttle control, resulting in a more exciting yet safer ride.

About the Author:

Lee Parks has been racing for over 16 years, and he won the 2001 G.M.D. Computrack National Endurance Series Championship in the Lightweight class. He also finished 2nd in the 1994 AMA 125GP national championship in its exhibition year. He spent five years as the editor and chief test rider of Motorcycle Consumer News where he road tested every new street motorcycle available in the U.S. and became one of the top performance-testing journalists in the world. He is based in Victorville, CA.

A $ spent on these books is worth thousands spent by mistake on the wrong parts later.

Remember, only make one change at a time and be able to back track easily. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:35:49 PM by Sparkymoto »
2015 Indian Scout, 2016 Zero FXS, 1984 AM Gen M923, 1970 Honda 750, 1974 Yamaha RD 400, 1970 Kawasaki Baby Green Streak GP Race Bike, 1970 Bevel Head Single 350 Ducati

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Zero 2016 FXS Lowered Ride Height, Dual Use Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »

There's a page of the unofficial Zero wiki where I've been vaguely collecting bike fit adjustment options:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Ergonomics

Elaborating on any of these things you did for others would be welcome (either here or on the wiki), but the feedback already makes sense and in any case I'll get around to incorporating it.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »

Thanks,  I have a slew of pictures so I will thin them out and post later.

2015 Indian Scout, 2016 Zero FXS, 1984 AM Gen M923, 1970 Honda 750, 1974 Yamaha RD 400, 1970 Kawasaki Baby Green Streak GP Race Bike, 1970 Bevel Head Single 350 Ducati

NobleHops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »

EDIT: We are winding down operations 3/2021. You will need to work with another Ikiin dealer to order these shocks.

Best,

Nils Menten

Greetings,

My name is Nils Menten and I am the head cheese at Ikon Shocks USA. We did work with sparkymoto to design and build a shock for his Zero, for which he provided very valuable information that made that possible. Many thanks to you Sparky, and we're glad it's working well for you.

We can provide that shock in either standard height, or lowered 2 inches as we did for sparkymoto, and custom springs are as always provided at no additional charge if needed. Lead time of roughly 2 weeks should be anticipated. That is our top of the line aluminum-bodied gas charged shock, with screw-thread preload adjusters, and 4-position damping adjustment.

Two models are now listed for purchase on our website: The standard length shock:

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/3610-zero-shock-absorber

...and the lowering version:

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/3610-zero-low-shock-absorber

Please note that this product is so new we have not had a chance to research applicability on other models of Zero motorcycles, but it is quite likely that it will fit a wider range of models and years than we have indicated at the moment. Your expertise in this respect would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:28:23 PM by NobleHops »

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 02:31:11 AM »

Great to see aftermarket vendors getting involved!

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:18:49 AM »

Lowered and with a Fairing.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:17 AM »

Here is one of the shocks I am testing. It is the IKON and has a lot of adjustment.

The reworked OEM is a good choice but is limited by no adjustment and a too heavy spring, but cost is something to consider so it just depends on what your needs are.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:57:29 AM »

Here is a box stock FXS,  note the seat contour and the tail piece height.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »

Vendors

Seat Mods

jgeraurd@yahoo.com
Josh Geraud
MX Seat Pro
3502 Temescal Ave
NORCO, CA  92860
US

Rear OEM Shock Mods

jbi@ridejbi.com
JB Covington
RideJBI.com
@RideJBI

IKON Aftermarket Shock

Nils Menten
Ikon Shocks USA
nils@ikonshocksusa.com
www.ikonshocksusa.com

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:26:26 PM by Sparkymoto »

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »

[quote  author=BrianTRice link=topic=6640.msg52966#msg52966 date=1487212221]
There's a page of the unofficial Zero wiki where I've been vaguely collecting bike fit adjustment options:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Ergonomics

Elaborating on any of these things you did for others would be welcome (either here or on the wiki), but the feedback already makes sense and in any case I'll get around to incorporating it.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll take you up on the offer, I have more to test and review. Stay Tuned.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:06:05 PM by Sparkymoto »

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »

Below is the before and after of the seat transformation.  IMHO there is still plenty pf padding because the seat pan is flat and very stable.  While pushing down with my thumb for all I'm worth I was not able to bottom out my thumb.  I now like this seat better because it is flat and allows more contact with the sides  of the seat and the frame rails.

A very nice job by:
jgeraurd@yahoo.com
Josh Geraud
MX Seat Pro
3502 Temescal Ave
NORCO, CA  92860
US
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:24:18 AM by Sparkymoto »

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »

Hello,
Nice work. I would be glad to make the same transformations to my bike (lowering the seat, dual tires, windshield).
Conti Escape does not seem to be available for 17" front wheels.
Have you changed the front rim?
Which size of tires do you use?
Thanks.
Gerard (from France)
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »

Hello,
Nice work. I would be glad to make the same transformations to my bike (lowering the seat, dual tires, windshield).
Conti Escape does not seem to be available for 17" front wheels.
Have you changed the front rim?
Which size of tires do you use?
Thanks.
Gerard (from France)

Thank you.

A little background on this purchase is that I had been watching the breed of Electro Bikes and when the 2016 FXS came out I had a few changes in mind.  So right off the bat I knew the tires would need to be changed.
I went by the dealer http://www.eurosportcycle.com/ and spoke with Tony.  After moving to the tire rack we came to the decision on the Conti.  Since the main concerns would be tire clearance and aspect ratio we narrowed the choices.  No need to change rims when you figure out to do so would change the stance of the FXS.  So a similar if different aspect ratio was purchased. We knew the ride height would increase but changing one thing at a time was my plan any way.

A deal was struck and upon delivery of the FXS the Contis were in place.  Ride height was now at 34 inches until we lowered the front by an inch by upping the forks in the triple clamps.  Ride height was a bit high but safe for Road use.

As they say, back at the Ranch was a different matter.  Our land is rough and tumbled, small ravines, cow trials and rocks are the main obstacles.  First in order was to install the Crash Bars, designed for the COP BIKES.  Knowing I would drop the FXS sooner than later I practiced such an event and the Crash bars proved their worth. 

The next step was the lowering, I did a number of things, one at a time, talked to a lot of locals as well as Vendors on the web.  The rest is history and what I have now is pretty much what I need.

Back to the tires, Front is a 120/90-17 64S, Rear is a 140/80-17 69H.  I have Tony at http://www.eurosportcycle.com/ to thank for picking the tires and the size.  I too scrubbed the w.w.w. to see what was around and I must say what is on the bike work very well in the 3 surfaces I ride.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 02:30:52 AM »

Here are a few pics of jbi@ridejbi.com's work.

The shock was rebuilt with a 2 inch reduction in ride height.  A machinist then whittled out a perfect replacement for the OEM adjustable spring perch.  This reduced tension even though the OEM shock now had a preload from the reduction in height rebuild of the shock.

Great people out there to help us, you just gotta look.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »

And another shock pic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4