• April 29, 2024, 02:40:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An Electric BMW GS Anyone?  (Read 1158 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: An Electric BMW GS Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 04:05:49 PM »

Why is everybody so focused on fake boxer engines?

I think it would be cool to make an electric GS look exactly like a petrol one.  Keep the weight distribution the same and so on. I'm sure millions have been spent fine tuning it all over the years.

I agree that the boxer configuration is worth considering for the weight distribution benefits and ease of maintenance and air cooling. Of course, a protected belt would be cheaper and lighter than a shaft drive, and chargers are the candidates for the "cylinder heads".

Thinking about it a little more, an electric GS would probably not sell well at all.  GS owners like going long distances, unhindered by current charging limitations. They are wealthy enough not to worry about the cost of petrol.

It'll be a few more years before the infrastructure and range improved to the point where BMW could create a compelling alternative to the GS.

I think that Trui Hanoulle's ElektroGirl adventure is a good counterpoint to that; she traveled slowly from Brussels to Istanbul using the onboard charger. Sure, the "big adventure bike" market won't respond to the "go slow, take it easy" idea, but adventuring is not about displacement. Adventuring mostly happens with single cylinder dirt bikes.

Anywhere you can traverse 150 miles between power supplies with 220V can be reached with a modern DSR with a power tank and a good set of chargers. That at least opens up many sections of the Americas and Europe (and I'm hoping to do some of that along with a couple of others I'm aware of). Crossing Siberia or Africa could be proven with some near-term effort.

I will grant you that it's a different experience from my V-Strom 650 which can cover 300 miles on one tank of gas and hauling a lot of gear, but I think it'd be a worthy experience and might even reach a wide audience if communicated right.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »

I sure wish that fellow who rode from the U.S. to the tip of South America on a 2012 Zero ZF9 S would write a book about his adventure.  I would love to hear how he managed that trip, how his Zero held up and how he managed to locate places to recharge every 80 miles, or so - especially while riding through Patagonia.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

tigerbike

• Zero DS-R 2016, Photovoltac-charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »

Nanoflow? You'd have a better chance of running a bike on pure snakeoil...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nanoflowcell
Thanks Justin, I didn't mention, that this is the same guy >:( :(
OK, this seemes to be a big fake. But you are right it sounded too good, to be true.
Pages: 1 [2]