• April 29, 2024, 07:33:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How to stop charging at 80% (or whatever % I choose).  (Read 4393 times)

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
Re: How to stop charging at 80% (or whatever % I choose).
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2018, 08:07:50 AM »

Yes, I understand that, thanks, this is what I'm getting at.
I'll ask my question another way:
Since 80% of true max charge seems to be a good goal for max charge when practical, what charge is that as displayed on the Zero dashboard? 85%? 90%? 100%?

heroto - An answer to your question is contained in an ElectricZen post.

Also, suggestion: Dash battery percentage - Never, Never, Never believe it. Voltage is the answer. ElectricZen had a nice write up recently. The Unofficial manual discusses it (State of Charge)

ElectricZen’s post -  Re: Firmware versions and issues. #firmwaregate
« on: July 04, 2018, 05:30:45 AM »

Here’s a recent example of a false dash battery percentage:
Yesterday, I recharged to about 114v. Percentage showed 85%. While in a 50 mile transit, I observed the percentage dip to a low of 83%. Towards the end of the trip, it climbed to 86%. At home, the voltage was 99v.

Summary - Trust your voltage, ignore the dash battery percentage, and review ElectricZen’s post.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2018, 07:42:07 PM »

Thanks
In case someone else wants to know what was in ElectricZen’s post, here is the summary paragraph, edited for clarity:

“Watch your battery voltage rather than the state of charge displayed on the dashboard!  100v is about 20% and 112v is about 80%.  Battery discharge is pretty linear between those two.  0%-20% and 80%-100% follow a different curve.  116.4v is full and 96v is empty. “
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:22:24 PM by heroto »

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:27 AM »

Quick followup: Thanks to the wisdom dispensed on this and other threads, I now charge based on voltage. The % charge is all over the map at the lower end, e.g. today I had 100v listed as 38%.
So:
Note to Zero:

Dear Zero,
I am a happy but sometimes a bit confused owner of a 2018 7.2 S
Voltage as displayed on the app and state of charge as displayed on the dashboard often do not correlate.  Smart people are telling me to pay attention to battery voltage rather than state of charge. Why is battery voltage not a display option on the moto's dashboard, but I can read it on my cell phone via the app? It seems that you regard it as somewhat important but not very important. Confusing. Do you know something they don't know?

PS: longer cables and lines please, so we can raise the bars out of sport touring position to true touring position.

PPS: and a longer kickstand option, too, thank you.

PPS: Harley and others are coming. Competition is good for the consumer. Now would be a most excellent time to step up your game in terms of consumer relations and satisfaction. I hope you read this as a supportive comment as that is my intention.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:54:39 AM by heroto »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2018, 02:18:38 AM »

I’m using a data collection app while I ride that tracks voltage, and I can say for sure that voltage while riding varies more because of throttle position than anything else.

It varies so strongly that I dare say that one could build a dynamic map of overall system impedance by plotting throttle angle against droop.

I use a throttle lock to hold position for efficiency which locks in current steady for a given SoC and any twitch of the position changes voltage. Voltage is accurate down to mV.

Here’s a screenshot of two rides plots to illustrate.

Now, that said, an indication could be devised that inferred better from direct sensor results.

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »

Help me understand how this relates to voltage/state of chage with the moto motionless before or after a ride.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
How to stop charging at 80% (or whatever % I choose).
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2018, 03:40:30 AM »

Help me understand how this relates to voltage/state of chage with the moto motionless before or after a ride.

You’re right. I didn’t make that clear.

So, it is true that the precise sensor is very useful.

However, I think there’s an aspect where once a charge cycle or ride is stopped, the voltage drifts towards a resting state so there’s some projection or a quick heuristic needed to predict what voltage to use.

I noticed while riding that letting the throttle return to neutral with “0%” coasting regen still had some drift.

I think we need better instrumentation to get more accurate than the shorthand table we’ve been using that’s vaguely accurate for a given single volt precision measurement.

And there is educated suggestions that this value drifts with factors like ambient temperature and battery lifetime age (full charge and discharge cycles).

One way around this is just to have a calibration program that observes reported SoC and voltage sensor readings at rest over time and maintains a curve just for your bike over time.

Sorry, this is all too speculative but it’s part of what’s on my mind. Voltage while riding fluctuates a lot, is a point I was trying to focus on as a reason Zero omits it.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2018, 03:41:50 AM »

Short answer: targeting 110V to 112V should be fine for most purposes this thread targets.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2018, 04:59:43 AM »

I told my daughter to keep her 2014 S plugged in for a week and today it was showing 98% charge and 115 volts.  Before it would shut off at 92% charge and 113 volts once the charger would shut off after a ride. The bike has spent most of its life plugged in 24/7 and doesn't seem much the worse for wear because of that practice.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2018, 05:56:41 AM »

Sorry, this is all too speculative but it’s part of what’s on my mind. Voltage while riding fluctuates a lot, is a point I was trying to focus on as a reason Zero omits it.

Thanks, your answer makes perfect sense. Zero could still put battery voltage on the dashboard during charging.

Regarding 0% coasting regen not really being zero per cent: I know what a coasting ICE moto feels like, having owned several, and the Zero at 0% has more drag. Someone who understands the drive motor may be able to explain it, but it does seem the the setting of "0% coasting regen" is actually "single digit % coasting regen", or "same drag as single digit coasting regen".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:20:51 PM by heroto »

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2018, 05:20:37 AM »

...Regarding 0% coasting regen not really being zero per cent: I know what a coasting ICE moto feels like, having owned several, and the Zero at 0% has more drag. Someone who understands the drive motor may be able to explain it, but it does seem the the setting of "0% coasting regen" is actually "single digit % coasting regen", or "same drag as single digit coasting regen".
[/quote]
There is drag due to magnetic "cogging" of the rotor even when no regeneration is being done, unlike an ICE unit in neutral!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]