• April 29, 2024, 09:49:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First Wash  (Read 1239 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: First Wash
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »

If you can break it with a pressure washer, someone can break it with a garden hose.  If you can break it by dunking it in a lake, someone can break it by hitting it with a hose.

Random smaller chances aren't no chance at all.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 12:46:27 AM »

What can I say... I totally disagree. I've never had a bike I could break with a hosepipe. It's how we clean them.

Cas :)

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 01:38:23 AM »

From the owners manual of a 2018 S/DS/DSR/SR (page 6.26)

Cleaning

CAUTION: Improper cleaning can damage electrical components, cowlings, panels, and other plastic parts. Do not use high pressure water or steam cleaners; they can cause water intrusion of bearing, seals, and electrical components. Avoid spraying water of great force around the dash unit, quick charge connector, power pack, or controller.

To prolong the life of your motorcycle it should be washed periodically. Regular cleaning is an important factor in maintaining the value of your motorcycle. It also ensures that safety related parts remain in full working order.

If tar, bugs, or other similar deposits have accumulated, clean them off as soon as possible.
WARNING! After cleaning and before starting your journey, always test the brakes.

Washing
CAUTION: Do not use any harsh chemical products on plastic parts. Be sure to avoid using cloths or sponges which have been in contact with strong abrasive cleaning products, solvent or thinner, fuel (gasoline), rust removers or inhibitors, brake fluid, antifreeze, or electrolyte.

Note: We recommend the use of a garden hose to wash your motorcycle. High-pressure washers (like those at coin-operated car washes) can damage certain parts.

1. Gently wash your motorcycle with a sponge or a clean soft cloth, mild detergent, and plenty of water.

2. Use care when cleaning the plastic parts (dash, fenders, and side panels), which can scratch easier than the other parts of your motorcycle

3. After washing, rinse your motorcycle thoroughly with plenty of clean water to remove any detergent residue.

4. Dry your motorcycle with a chamois or a soft, dry towel.

5. After cleaning, inspect for damage, wear or leaks.

After washing the motorcycle, allow all of the electrical components to dry prior to operation. If the motorcycle is ridden after being washed, apply both brakes several times in order to remove any moisture from the brake pads.

Wheels and tires

Avoid using strong acidic wheel cleaners, especially on spoked wheels. If such products are used on hard-to-remove dirt, do not leave the cleaner on the affected area any longer than instructed. Also thoroughly rinse the area off with water, immediately dry it, and then apply a corrosion protection spray.

Do not use products such as tire dressings on tires as this will deteriorate traction.

Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 02:17:01 AM »

I think Zero's recommendation here is not strong enough. It recommends a hose but doesn't indicate how to use or not use that hose, which I think is a good indication that it's weak.

I think Zero could do a lot better in dealing with this issue:
- Owners clearly do get faults from hose washing (and I don't dispute that and I know for many cases why there can be faults).
- The faults are not 100% risk-free: most of these faults on their own with hose water are absolutely fine but in combination with other issues could be risky.

This is not something the manufacturer should let the owner think is 100% reliable, especially because there are invisible quality issues like how grease is applied to critical spots, and whether that grease is still in place.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2]