• April 29, 2024, 02:34:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS  (Read 3422 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »

That scooter that MostlyBonkers was thinking of was the Vectrix (check out the Vectrix forum, below).  I test rode one during the late 1990s at the San Rafael, CA, BMW shop. That two-way throttle was one of its best features, plus it also had a slow reverse. The throttle had a neutral position. As I recall if it was stopped, moving the throttle forward past the neutral position, would slowly move the scooter backward, but if the scooter was moving forward, moving the throttle forward would activate the regen feature. I have no idea why that throttle idea was never used again. Probably because whomever still owns the Vectrix brand still owns their patents.  ???

The scooter was really ahead of the time, although it was a bit too expensive for the market back then and they started selling the scooter through exclusive Italian-brand auto dealers (perhaps because of its high price), which is never a good idea for scooter or motorcycle sales. By the time motorcycle shops started trying to sell the brand, it was already too late as the factory's finances were rapidly sliding downhill.  Apparently, they just invested too much in design and development and could not generate enough sales and profit to pay back their development costs. The Vectrix brand tried coming back once or twice over the years, but that never worked out and I have no idea where things stand right now with the brand's intellectual property and particularly its neat throttle design.
Very interesting, thanks Richard.

I think I've found the patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6724165B2/en

It expires in a coupe of years.  Take note Zero!

In March of this year it was assigned to GP Technology & Innovation Ltd.  It might be a company name change or a different company altogether.

What I don't know is whether patents can be renewed or extended.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:17:19 PM by MostlyBonkers »

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

Honda and Toyota doe braking with regen, I don't know about GM.

-Crissa
I assume you meant extra regen while braking.

I wonder why others don't do the same, such as Tesla and Energica.  But they have a lot more deceleration regen, so it's less important.

-Don-
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »

It's just a different paradigm for safety - that cutting out the motor solves any chance of motor runaway or freezing up.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]