• April 29, 2024, 08:26:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.  (Read 6915 times)

dukecola

• View Profile
Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:13:01 AM »

For those who may be interested, this thread will be about how I'm installing the Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in my TopBox. Topbox is a 40L Givi E360, monokey mounted. I have a PowerTank, so mounting in the top box is my only option. Yes it could go in side case, but the weight on one side would throw bike off balance. I suppose one module could go in each side case but that would be a wiring nightmare.  Plan right now is to use Trailer Hitch Locks to secure the chargers to under the monokey plate. I'll post a pic of a trailer hitch lock later. I will be mounting the J1172 inlet to the rear wall of the case, using aluminum backplate on the inside for additional strength. I'm guessing the plastic of the case side wall isn't too strong.   My degree is in aeronautics so kind of useless for this project, so if someone has better suggestions feel free to post them.

dukecola

• View Profile
Re: Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »

Here's the locks I plan on using. To install will be a breeze and it will be easily removable.  The stainless shaft is only .26" so it should fit thru the small brackets on the bottom of the modules. It's slide lock is adjustable up to 3 3/8" so it should be long enough to go into the bottom bracket thru the case wall and thru the Givi plate. I'll also have a 1.5" wide aluminum bar, 3/8 thick x 12" long on the underside to the top box mounting plate. This way I can cinch the slip locks up tight against the aluminum, rather that up on the plastic grid of the mounting plate.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »

I'm super jealous of your 2x3.3kW setup. I just used my 1x3.3kW for the first time today, and it was an "ah, ha!" moment never ever going back to slow charging again...  I think you could fit more than just 2x3.3kW in that case, no?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »

This is great! I like how small they are to fit side by side in a top case like that.

But, I must say for anyone attempting this: please please please reinforce your top rack to support this load.

Any bumps at highway speed will cause this load to oscillate and bounce on the end of a lever that is not well-fastened to the frame. The top rack is only attached by two small M5 bolts to the frame and often enough does not rest fully on the tail, allowing free-play oscillation. Adding a lot of mass in the top case can fatigue the bars quickly (I've had my top rack bolts break at speed with a nice "ping!" sound I could hear through my earplugs).

For what it's worth, the older Elcon 2500 in a top or side case is just slightly lighter than 2 of the new 3.3kW Supercharger units (also by Elcon), and does cause this problem. If you load this mass into a side case asymmetrically, the side rack will start to bend to the side over time, especially if any knocks are taken.

Terry's solution for his top rack Supercharger was to weld tubes from the bottom of the top rack plate all the way to the passenger footpeg mount area. I've done passably well by putting adhesive-backed padding between the rack tab and the tail plastics, but the dirt and forces there are enough that this requires occasional checking.

Ref http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Top_Rack
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »

The top rack is only attached by two small M5 bolts to the frame and often enough does not rest fully on the tail, allowing free-play oscillation.

Dont forget that the east bolts also hold on the top rack. I make sure my seat bolts are done up really tight. The friction alone of the seat bolts helps hold the top rack tight. The tabs with the M5 bolts secures it even more.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »

The top rack is only attached by two small M5 bolts to the frame and often enough does not rest fully on the tail, allowing free-play oscillation.

Dont forget that the east bolts also hold on the top rack. I make sure my seat bolts are done up really tight. The friction alone of the seat bolts helps hold the top rack tight. The tabs with the M5 bolts secures it even more.

Well, yes, that's one reason my top rack didn't fall onto the highway when the the top bolts went (along with slight bracing from the side rack bolts), but they're not really what you want to rely on as they don't dampen that dynamic load.

I also recommend removing your case from the top rack before unbolting the seat for this reason.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »

Terry's solution for his top rack Supercharger was to weld tubes from the bottom of the top rack plate all the way to the passenger footpeg mount area. I've done passably well by putting adhesive-backed padding between the rack tab and the tail plastics, but the dirt and forces there are enough that this requires occasional checking.

Yes, right now I got a thick rubber pad under rack at the tail and will be working with my brother in law to weld either steel tube reinforcements or aluminum pipe. Would you have a pic of where he attached and routed to the pegs?

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »

I'm super jealous of your 2x3.3kW setup. I just used my 1x3.3kW for the first time today, and it was an "ah, ha!" moment never ever going back to slow charging again...  I think you could fit more than just 2x3.3kW in that case, no?

It's heavy enough as it is, but a third would fit. I'm trying to keep as much weight forward as I can.  22lbs is max capacity of the case's load. Plus, there just aren't that many stations capable of 9.9kw charging so modules beyond 6.6 would require using input from a second station. Even Diginow doesn't recommend using the onboard with the 6.6 on one J1772.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 06:53:46 PM »

For what it's worth, the older Elcon 2500 in a top or side case is just slightly lighter than 2 of the new 3.3kW Supercharger units (also by Elcon)

So are these the diginow chargers or Elcon charges?
I thought the diginow charger was one charger and if so, why is the thred heading saying Diginow 6.6kw charger?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »

So are these the diginow chargers or Elcon charges?
I thought the diginow charger was one charger and if so, why is the thred heading saying Diginow 6.6kw charger?
The digiNow Super Charger (SCv1) was an E-MotorWerks 11kW (reportedly 15kW peak max? If I remember correctly?) monolith charging module. Version 2 (SCv2) is an array of Elcon HK-J 3.3kW modules that you can stack a few of them together (reportedly up to three of these 3.3kW modules can physically fit under the 2013+ S/DS cowl). What I see pictured above are the SCv2 modules, 3.3kW each.

The SCv1 you had to find one source of power and most charging stations at least in USA max out at 6kW each J1772. With the SCv2 you can mix-and-match modules and inputs when you install them, so you can run two 3.3kW modules off one input, and then a third 3.3kW module together with the 1.3kW onboard charger of the S/DS models off of a second input. This works well when you have two J1772 inputs available while charging.

Essentially the digiNow Super Charger version 2 is a radical improvement in capability size and weight over the Hollywood Electrics modified Elcon 2500.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »

I saw Hollywood Electrics no longer sells the 2500 Elcons.  But the V1 was what $3600 for the 11kW and three of these are over $5000 for 9.9.  Could be less if they sell just an expansion pack with just the unit but like you said you'll need 2 J1772 plug points at some point.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »

...But the V1 was what $3600 for the 11kW and three of these are over $5000 for 9.9.  Could be less if they sell just an expansion pack with just the unit but like you said you'll need 2 J1772 plug points at some point.
The digiNow.it super charger website says $3600 for 9.9kW (three 3.3kW modules).

I had a SCv1 order converted to an SCv2 order 2x3.3kW. I will try to pay to upgrade the order to the 3x3.3kW. As of today I have received only the one 3.3kW module.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 01:38:28 AM »

This bulkhead fitting came in today that I will use to route the power/signal wires into the top case. This fitting has a collet which when the outer nut is tightened will grasp the wires to keep them from moving. Plan is to store wires in the case pushing them through this until the Anderson connector touches, then tighten collet to keep it in place. Then when I stop for a charge, loosen the nut and pull wires out till the anderson reaches the aux port.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 04:13:43 AM »

Yes, right now I got a thick rubber pad under rack at the tail and will be working with my brother in law to weld either steel tube reinforcements or aluminum pipe. Would you have a pic of where he attached and routed to the pegs?

I have a photo, but I won't share it without explicit permission. You'd better ask Terry for how he did it.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:15 AM »

So bad news from Diginow. Since I'm not going to be able to splice the a waterproof connector wires to feed them thru a bulkhead fitting into the top case, I decided to install something like this on the case under the passenger backrest. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/extras/cruiser+accessories/bone+mountain+motor+gear_double+impact+rider+backrest+pocket?utm_source=gps&utm_medium=csn&utm_term=Double+Impact+Rider+Backrest+Pocket&utm_campaign=extras-cruiser+accessories&gclid=CNWW1vWH39ICFdeFswodsakO1g

Basically it's a zippered pocket. So what I'll do is cut a big enough hole in the case wall so I can get the connector inside the case, then mount this vinyl pocket over the hole.  I'll store the charging wires in this zippered "pocket" and when I need to charge, just unzip and stretch wires out to plug into aux port. My seat is out for customization now, I'm going to swing by the shop and see if they cam make me a pocket case that matches the seat covering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5