• April 29, 2024, 10:29:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: still learning about my bike - battery tank? dashboard electronics?  (Read 503 times)

tomk

• View Profile

I recently got a 2015 SR, and it is supposedly a 12.5kw machine. The tank plastic is a battery tank style, rather than tank bag style. Is this because there is an extra battery bit in this shell? How much extra power would it be? Am I even asking the right questions? It is my intention to remove this plastic, just to see what is under there. It has a small hole, about 1/8" in diameter and I want to explore what this is about. Am assuming I'll need to pull the seat, in order to remove the tank plastic. Will be exploring and learning as I go. Is the 12.5kw battery the stock unit, or does that value include whatever may include a battery tank?

Another little puzzle is the dashboard electronics. Using the manual I set the clock, 24 hour mode, and then set up to show theoretical range and trip mileage. Manual says the trip mileage will reset to zero automatically when the battery is recharged to 100%. Well, the clock seems to read whatever time it likes, and the trip mileage did not reset to zero. Am being careful about my charge level and mileage, to see if the predicted mileage will be a useful feature. I realize my mileage will depend on how I ride, and how healthy my battery is. Am assuming the battery has no issues, and my riding habits will dictate my driving radius. Do I have electronics issues?

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: still learning about my bike - battery tank? dashboard electronics?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »

The Power Tank in 2015 was 2.8kW/h, but there's a possibility that you could have a later 3.3kW/h or 3.6kW/h one fitted (released in 2016 and 2018 respectively). 12.5kW/h is the capacity of the main battery.

As for the dash, it could be that the battery built into that which maintains the clock time has died. You can open it up and replace it (it's a coin cell) but the recommendation is to just replace the whole unit to maintain the weather sealing.

Here's a tutorial for removing the tank plastics, it's a fairly easy job: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/Tank_Plastics/Removal

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »

If you want to know for sure if you have a Power Tank without removing the plastic, you can just weigh your bike. If it weighs around 440-450 pounds than you have the extra battery. If it weighs around 400 pounds than you do not. You can weigh your bike by placing each wheel on a bathroom scale and adding up the weights. The fact that you are not weighing the entire bike all at once will not make a significant difference to the result.

Also if your Zero falls over and you can't pick it up that also means you have a Power Tank in your bike.   ;)

My recollection is that the Zero has two trip meters. One may reset every time the ignition is turned off, but I know for a fact that one does not and has to be reset manually. I have my display set up for the estimated range in one panel and a trip meter in the other panel. That trip meter needs to be manually reset or it will continue to just accumulate mileage forever (as near as I can tell).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 10:05:44 PM »

I'd put money on it having the extra battery, I don't see why someone would pay money to swap out just the plastics and lose the storage area.

The upper A trip meter is the one that resets automatically, the lower B one is manual.

tomk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »

to the three of you who replied to my query, thank you very much for the gift of your time and knowledge.

to TheRan, thanks for the info regarding the manual setting or resetting on the trip meters...the distinction was not readily apparent to me in the instructions I had, I will re-read more carefully. Thank you. I also appreciate the info on the possible different battery sizes for the power tank. I will investigate, as my wits permit. Regarding replacing the entire dash unit to get a new battery instead of just replacing the battery, all to preserve the watertight integrity...I am grateful for the information and the caution on the moisture issue. I will investigate the battery and deal with the moisture seal issue. I really needed the heads-up on this, it would not have occurred to me. Thank you.

To Richard230, I thank you for your help and info on weight issues. Be assured that being able to pick up a 625 pound Harley by myself, I'd have no problems picking up my new Precious. The info about the scale is very useful, and I will do the experiment. I also appreciate your info on the trip meters. (picking up a downed bike is a special technique I learned early in my riding life)

tomk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 03:05:45 AM »

arrgh! I removed the power tank plastic, and the space under it is full of empty! I could fit a six-pack of beer in there. There is a big fat cable with the end all taped up, and no battery. I do not doubt that some more taping is in order to insure no electrical Murphy should have some fun in there. The man I bought this from did not have the bike very long...some "yes, dear" issues, and he may not have been aware of a possible extra battery, just the vibe I got from him. Swell person, but...

I am in no position to spend the bux for a battery to fill the space, and a stock tank with a compartment in it is likely not cheap, either. Am happily married and intend to stay in that condition. Just gonna finish my beer and put the tank plastic back together and do some deep thinking.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 03:31:17 AM »

Aww man, that really sucks. So it most likely did have the extra battery at some point but a previous owner sold it off separately but didn't bother to refit the stock tank. A replacement tank would be $350 from AF1Racing so indeed not cheap, although you could possibly sell the power tank plastics for some money if it's in good condition ($225 on AF1). Adding the battery pack that would go inside would cost about $3k.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 04:11:43 AM »

I have some stock storage tanks.  They don't all have a bucket but you can have one for the price of postage.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

tomk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 10:34:45 AM »

This is a stunning offer, but I will have to respectfully decline, I think. I just do not know how to accept such a gift. I am content with what I have, now. Thank you. I am gobsmacked.
Tom

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »

It's not really a gift, so much as paying it forward style recycling.  They came with my bike as extra stuff from the store that it had sat at until it closed.  Other people haf bought power tanks and these were just waiting for someone who scratched up their plastics to want them.  So now they're taking up room in my storage bin ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 03:06:28 AM »

It would be really nice if the Zero mobile app would just tell owners what official equipment is installed or not. Just a basic inventory of what monolith you have and whether you have a Power Tank or Charge Tank.

For what it's worth, a good number of us probably have extra tank plastics that we'd be glad to donate to someone just to free up storage space.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]