• April 28, 2024, 10:24:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unexpected advantages of an electric bike  (Read 3489 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Unexpected advantages of an electric bike
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »

On of the few disadvantages of riding an electric motorcycle is that you really have to be careful when approaching pedestrians and bicyclists from the rear.  Since they can't hear you sometimes they will make unexpected moves into your path of travel without looking.  :(  And if they are wearing ear buds you really have to watch out!   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »

On of the few disadvantages of riding an electric motorcycle is that you really have to be careful when approaching pedestrians and bicyclists from the rear.  Since they can't hear you sometimes they will make unexpected moves into your path of travel without looking.  :(  And if they are wearing ear buds you really have to watch out!   :o

Parking lots are the most dangerous for sure. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »

Not a problem.  Got used to that in my bicycle-riding days.  :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 12:07:36 AM »

I've revised that entry with pros and cons in a table. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 12:27:02 AM »

Not a problem.  Got used to that in my bicycle-riding days.  :)

It's funny how with all this talk of electric vehicles being quite we often forget about cyclists. They've always been quiet and often ride at the same speed as the other traffic in town.  I'm often overtaken by cyclists in London.

Fair point by Richard but thanks also to Jaime for raising his point.  Giving them space and time is needed.

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 02:35:30 AM »

The most unexpected benefit I've had is smiles. Loads and loads of smiles as people realise they've just seen an electric bike.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »

Especially in Denver where pedestrians often walk right out against the signal without even looking and bicycles NEVER stop for red lights and stop signs. (4-20?)

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »

Especially in Denver where pedestrians often walk right out against the signal without even looking and bicycles NEVER stop for red lights and stop signs. (4-20?)

It is the same thing in San Francisco, which is why I do my best to avoid riding into that den of inequity. But it is also true that most other cities in California have similar problems with their citizens and the larger and more congested the city the larger the problem. People just wander around in a daze with their earbuds inserted, their music turned up nice and loud, their eyes glazed over and their heads up their ass. Unfortunately, many of these same people also ride bicycles and ride the same way they walk.  When riding my Zero in a congested urban area I feel like I am in a pinball machine.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »

It is the same thing in San Francisco, which is why I do my best to avoid riding into that den of inequity. But it is also true that most other cities in California have similar problems with their citizens and the larger and more congested the city the larger the problem. People just wander around in a daze with their earbuds inserted, their music turned up nice and loud, their eyes glazed over and their heads up their ass. Unfortunately, many of these same people also ride bicycles and ride the same way they walk.  When riding my Zero in a congested urban area I feel like I am in a pinball machine.   :o

It's a good reminder of something that we as motorcyclists know very well: You are, ultimately, responsible for your own personal safety and no one else can or will do it for you. Too many people out there don't understand that.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 04:30:48 AM »

It's a good reminder of something that we as motorcyclists know very well: You are, ultimately, responsible for your own personal safety and no one else can or will do it for you. Too many people out there don't understand that.

So true.  Hopefully every motorcycle rider understands that.  ;)  If you make a mistake, it can hurt both physically and in your wallet.  :(

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:41 AM »

The most unexpected benefit I've had is smiles. Loads and loads of smiles as people realise they've just seen an electric bike.

Very true, I didn't buy my bike for attention but I certainly receive a ton of it.  Even more when I've got my buddy. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »

Very true, I didn't buy my bike for attention but I certainly receive a ton of it.  Even more when I've got my buddy.

Oh that's just brilliant!

Any chance of a close-up on the attachment? I've got one of those chariots and it would be fun to pull my kids along. Off road, if course! :-)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »

Actually, that just reminded me of this:

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

I bet your dog appreciates the lack of exhaust fumes in his little furry face.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »

Oh that's just brilliant!

Any chance of a close-up on the attachment? I've got one of those chariots and it would be fun to pull my kids along. Off road, if course! :-)

I can get photos later, but pulling your kids is not something I'd recommend.  Your tire will throw crap right in their faces.  My dog doesn't complain but I bet your kids will.  Trailers are also not very good at corners and all it would take is one tip over and you'll be on the news at best, or attending a funeral at worst.

This photo is actually old and not the current setup.  The one in the photo has an aluminum frame, and it would flex, causing it to fishtail as well as tip over a couple of times in a slight curve.  Eventually the frame welds failed and I bought a steel framed trailer.  Wow, it was a total change.  Now it's really stable.  I also wired in a five wire trailer harness and got a $10 integrated taillight so it's got turn signals.  I'm not trying to hijack anyone's thread so maybe I'll show more in this thread when I have the opportunity.  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5885.msg48724#msg48724
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:28:30 PM by Fivespeed302 »
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4