• April 28, 2024, 10:21:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 555 Timer Advice For Front Run/Signal Lights  (Read 820 times)

ESokoloff

• View Profile
555 Timer Advice For Front Run/Signal Lights
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »

I've managed to cram a pair of Lasfit 1157A https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-12-24V-Extremely-Non-Polarity-Blinker/dp/B077T8G9PG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522326368&sr=1-1&keywords=Lasfit+1157A
in to the stock turnsignal arrows.
It wasn't easy as I had to ditch the can (brass base) & relocate the driver under the reflecter.
Also had to shave off a bit of the aluminum heat sink so it would fit into the reflector socket.
The light output seams to be comparable to the incandescent bulb but not much if any brighter  so I'm pleased with them.
I ran a third wire to power the low intensity running light (taped into the headlight runner no light).

It's nice to have running lights but I would eventually like to assemble a timer that would allow full lumens for running and interrupt for signal operation.

Blinker Genie's are an option but I think these are just a relay that kills the light whith each turn flasher cycle.
This would put the rear light as well as the dash indicators out of phase so I don't want to go that route.

I want to assemble a 555 relay with about a 2 second on time which would power a miniature relay to interrupt the run circuit.
This will keep the miniature really energized until the signal is canceled.

I'm looking for help determining what components (specifications) I will need for the +- 2 sec.
Also suggestions on a micro relay that will hold up to the bumps & vibrations of a motorcycle.

TIA

PS For the back of the bike I fabricated a thick gauge sheet metal plate that bolted to the underside of the tail trunk base.
I installed a total of 8 LED bolts https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/led-bolt.
4 are run/stop (resister drops the voltage in the run configuration & diode keeps the voltages from posable back feed.  2 are Amber turn only & 2 are configured for turn/run. 

An inexpensive brack flasher yelds 4 quick then 4 slow flashs before turning solid.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: 555 Timer Advice For Front Run/Signal Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »

You're really over thinking it. Whenever the turn signal relay has ground,  disconnect the running lights.
It then behaves as stock until you cancel the turn signal switch.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »

I'm an electro/mechanical (HVAC) kinda guy.
I'm not understanding what your proposing I do. 

Can you elaborate a bit?
Thx
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 03:47:28 AM »

You want them on as running lights when the turn signals are not on.
The turn signal circuit is moved to ground on whatever side is blinking whenever you move the signal switch.
So all you have to do is put a double pole double throw relay on the turn signals, one throw on each side, and have it go to ground on it's normally closed side.
The trigger for the Relay has power from the 12 volt ignition side and it's ground goes to the turn signal relay ground
Then when the turn signal is activated, this relay is turned on... Disconnecting your running lights.

In other words the whole thing can be done with one relay.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:56:56 AM by MrDude_1 »

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »

I'm having a bit ao difficulty picturing what your describing.
A picture (schematic) is worth two thousand words (I'm double dense) :P

I know I can do it with a relay (actually two of them as I want the inactivated side to remain steady state/on) but this would put them out of phase with the rear & dash.
I could install the relay(s) so both the front & rear lights are in the switched relay cuircit so that would eliminate one of the above concerns.
I would have to find a point downstream of the L/R selector switch that's upstream of the Front/Rear branch.
As I'm sure you know, Amber running lights are not legal in the rear so the rears wont be configured for running lights.
I could use red for turn/running lights  but want to keep the Amber as it's a safer choice.

I'm not in a big hurry to do this as the 1157 LED's provide both running (reduced lum's) & turn (@ full lum's).
I'm pleased with the effect at night but want full output in day time for inhanced conspicuous.
Still need to install 4 more Oznium bolts in the hand guards (2 forward & 1 to each side).

I have an older BMW RT that has a Kisan SignalMinder that provide running light/turn signals that are configurable as well as an auto cancellation feature. 
I WISH I could install a similar device to shut off my turn signals on the Zero.   

Eventually will install indicators or just one with diodes powered by the turn signal cuircuits and put them in a location that's more apparent then the ones in the dash. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:11:55 AM »

I'll have to draw it up when I get to a PC. I'm using my phone right now.
By the way what country are you in? In the USA you can have Amber marker lights anywhere on the vehicle sides rear or front.
By the way what I'm describing will shut off the marker lights on the opposite side when you activate the turn signal. But as soon as you cancel they all pop back on

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »

The additional lamination is primarily for inhanced conspicuousness so I'm not interested in decreasing it even if only momentarily. 

I'm in SoCal and have put 140k (miles) on a 2003 BMW RT that I put a Kisan SignalMinder on it within it's first few months.
This (relay) allows the running lights to act as running lights.
All four lights are Amber and I've never had any LEO complain about them but the lenses are stock.       I'm not sure if they would treat aftermarket lights the same. 

Sorry I don't have a way of posting images but here's what I attached the sheet metal plate (to the bottom) that the eight LED bolts are attached to....
https://www.google.com/search?q=givi+tail+trunk+rack&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS630US630&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5lJmVhJnaAhXlqFQKHQOQCpgQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=653#imgdii=GXvMpeEI49LWBM:&imgrc=eaLHlZde8uHaiM:
The sheet metal follows the side contor so that the front two (of the eight) LED's have a mostly side orientation and are wired for run (reduced lum) & turn (full lum).
In retrospect, I should have installed an Amber LED there instead of Red.

The LED's behind them are Amber & have an approx 50/50 (rear/side) orientation and only serve as turn as I don't want to risk non-compliance issues.

I'm now wondering if I can achieve what I'm after (killing the front running light(s) during signal events) by routing the run curcit though a N.C. relay that it's coil is kepted energized via a capacitor?
The capacitor/relay would be powered via the turn signal curcit so it would have approx .75 sec. of power followed by approx. .75 sec. of no power. 
The capacitor just needs to keep the relay pulled in for 1 sec. or so. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]