• April 28, 2024, 07:10:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lemon Law  (Read 980 times)

LemonlawAnon

• View Profile
Lemon Law
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

I really just want my bike to work.  I hate the excessive use of lawyers and courts, but think it may be justified here.  If anyone reading this has been down the path of using the lemon law or involving legal counsel, please post or PM me.  From what I've read, some people have been put on gag orders as part of their settlement.  I'm not asking anyone to violate the terms of their agreement, but personally guarantee anonymity and am just looking for advice.   All I want is either for Zero to fix my bike or give me whatever the law allows in terms of refund.  I enjoyed riding my bike when it worked right, but would not have bought it if I knew it would potentially put me in life threatening situations or require me to use another vehicle for regular transportation for multiple months.

Apriliarsv

• View Profile
Re: Lemon Law
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »

I think LL's vary state to state. Best bet is to contact a local attorney.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:17:09 PM by Apriliarsv »

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 04:01:36 AM »

I live in Maryland and purchased a 2013 Zero S. I owned it a little over 2 years and half of that time it was at the dealer. I looked up Maryland Lemon laws, filled out the paperwork and sent it out via certified mail. About a week later, Zero sent me a check for the full purchase price of the bike, no hassles what-so-ever. I was very surprised at how quickly they responded.

Now I do not blame Zero for the issues I experienced. It was the dealer that was dropping the ball and dragging their feet. I will buy another Zero (at a different dealer), just waiting for them to come with DC fast charging. Until then, my Empulse will serve.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »

I think Ashveratu approached it well.  Looked up the law, looked up the requirements, gathered the documentation, and got action without burning money on attorney fees.

I don't know what state you live in, but Nolo Press has good DIY legal information for states that are friendly to such things, like California.

The best place to start, probably, is to look up the law, gather the documentation about your issue, and send a certified letter to Zero that clearly summarizes the state of your bike and the attempted repairs to date.  It's possible that you'll get action without having to resort to lemon law.

I would start by reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law if you haven't already done so.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

qorw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »

Wow I wish we had a Lemon Law in my country (South Africa)! My 2014 Zero DS has been with the dealer for close on nine months now (since nov 2017), Failed DC to DC converter (2nd one), then failed firmware updated bricked the BMS and from there nothing else is working... (see my other post on this forum). So YES PLEASE, I also want Zero to buy back my rubbish Bike! If there is any legal person out there who can take the necessary action on my behalf to get the bike fully refunded, and win your fee costs from Zero PLEASE contact me!
2014 Zero DS, 2010 BMW R1200R, 2013 BMW F800GS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »

Have you already talked to a local lawyer about this?

qorw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »

Lawyers over here wont do anything until you pay them upfront, so no luck there. But we do have a motor vehicle industry ombudsman who can take the dealer to task, and yes I have lodged a complaint with them and suggested they force the dealer to buy the motorcycle back from me and settle the lease finance with the bank (the bank actually suggested this approach).

But to be fair, Zero has messed up, they should buy back the bike. The dealer has already told me they wont be importing any more Zeros to South Africa since they are having too many problems, and the poor support from Zero is costing them money and reputation.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »

Lawyers over here wont do anything until you pay them upfront, so no luck there. But we do have a motor vehicle industry ombudsman who can take the dealer to task, and yes I have lodged a complaint with them and suggested they force the dealer to buy the motorcycle back from me and settle the lease finance with the bank (the bank actually suggested this approach).

But to be fair, Zero has messed up, they should buy back the bike. The dealer has already told me they wont be importing any more Zeros to South Africa since they are having too many problems, and the poor support from Zero is costing them money and reputation.

That is a real shame.  :( Zero shouldn't have let the situation get that far.  Whomever is responsible for Zero's operations in SA should be canned. After this sort of thing, it will be very hard to reenter the SA market again.  I seem to recall that something similar happened in Australia a few years ago.  I wonder if Zero ever reentered that country's market after their withdrawal?  ??? I haven't heard much from Australia lately.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

qorw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »

I wonder if Zero ever reentered that country's market after their withdrawal?  ??? I haven't heard much from Australia lately.

Apparently not, judging from a recent post on the Zeromotorcycle Facebook page by an Australian.

Pages: [1]